PDA

View Full Version : Regiments from 3e IG Codex

Idaan
23-10-2007, 14:35
I've been recently doing a search on the German Lexicanum for some more obscure Guard regiments. I came out with some pictures from 3e IG codex (not the current one, but the earlier). Now the fluff descriptions of them were very short and the images themselves were low-res. So could anyone please cite (it's not a big chunk of text, so it's legal) or paraphrase the fluff descriptions for some of them. I'm sure there are lots of Guard nuts here who keep that codex on a small altar. I'm mostly interested in following regiments:
Al-Arach
Palladius Freelancers
Tekarn
Dniepr.
And most of them:
Teutonian
Fornus Lix Firedrakes.

Basically anything that there's written about them in this old book

And by the way, did anyone else notice that the Armageddon 3 website was closed? I'm very disappointed, because there was some good fluff in there. Is there some place on the net where the stuff from there is stored?

Mechanicus
23-10-2007, 14:49
I'm no expert on the Guard, but I can tell you that there is a way to retrieve most of the information on the Armageddon3 website. I don't know why GW have closed it, the Medusa V and the Eye of Terror website down, especially since they reference it in their "Apocalyptic history" pages, or whatever it was.

It's certainly a shame to lose the treasure trove of information and inspiration that site, and the others, had, but at least some of it still there, fragmented as it may be.

Anyway, you can either search on google with the prefix:

site:www.armageddon3.com [search terms]Then clicking on the cached link. This will allow you to browse most of the website on Google's cache of it from a certain point in time before it was all redirected.

Or you can use www.waybackmachine.org to search for the website, choosing an archived version by year, and browsing the site (well, the pages that were archived, anyway).

I've found it's best to search for pages within the websites rather than the main page, since the main page sometimes has flash objects which for some reason don't load for me.

It won't get you all of the site, but it will get you most of it. :)

Hope I helped!

BrotherAdso
23-10-2007, 17:07
Sadly, nothing was written about those regiments -- they existed only as sketches with a few words like "Excelled. Honor Attatained" or "Heavy Losses, Battle of High Pass" beneath each sketch. They did LOOK cool though, particularly the Tekarn Iron Fists and the Feral Dogs.

-Adso

Marstfu
23-10-2007, 20:41
The Fornus Lix Firedrakes are known to be capable of doing thing other regiments do with tanks, with infantry.
They still use tanks, but they're probably heavier infantry then other guard regiments.

Also, they can pretty much take care of themselves, where other regiments need all kinds of officials to make sure things go the right way.

Ko Improbable
24-10-2007, 15:01
I've been recently doing a search on the German Lexicanum for some more obscure Guard regiments. I came out with some pictures from 3e IG codex (not the current one, but the earlier). Now the fluff descriptions of them were very short and the images themselves were low-res. So could anyone please cite (it's not a big chunk of text, so it's legal) or paraphrase the fluff descriptions for some of them. I'm sure there are lots of Guard nuts here who keep that codex on a small altar. I'm mostly interested in following regiments:
Al-Arach
Palladius Freelancers
Tekarn
Dniepr.
And most of them:
Teutonian
Fornus Lix Firedrakes.

Basically anything that there's written about them in this old book

And by the way, did anyone else notice that the Armageddon 3 website was closed? I'm very disappointed, because there was some good fluff in there. Is there some place on the net where the stuff from there is stored?

I think the idea with those pictures was to inspire people to create their own regiments, or make up their own history about those Chapters.

BrotherAdso
24-10-2007, 15:27
Yep. Actually, somewhere on the internet, I have seen an army of the Dniper Armored Corps...very modern German army style. They'd look good with the Chimera/Predator conversions to represent sleeker tech support.

The Teutogen could use old MIddenheimer models from Mordheim, or Chaos Marauders.

The Tekarn would work great with some of the Perry Historical Japanese.

In terms of fluff, anything might go. "Excelled. Honour Attained." doesn't give us much to go on. Though you have my wheels turning, I might post something later today or tomorrow.

-Adso

Brusilov
25-10-2007, 08:22
They also serve as a basis from which GW or other companies can pick and develop at their leisure. Just look how the Death Korps of Krieg evolved from a simple sketch in that Codex to a FW book half-dedicated to them with a range of minis to go with.

Tehkonrad
25-10-2007, 08:53
wow bruzilov i just noticed your awesome sig...just wow

on topic yeah make an army of one those sketches and who knows some guy from FW might see it and Wham a whole range of minis

Brusilov
25-10-2007, 09:15
As for the sig, I did not write it. I copied it from the "Old World Bestiary" from the Warhammer RPG. It sums up the essence of Chaos in a perfect manner I believe.

Gdolkin
25-10-2007, 14:19
The Fornus Lix Firedrakes are in the Soul Drinkers series, Crimson Tears i think..if that's of any interest.

El Presedente
25-10-2007, 15:42
I think remus looked pretty cool, a roman based regiment, and one based on the old Stormtroopers was there too, and if memory serves me there were a few classified ones which appeard to be mutants.

VanHel
25-10-2007, 16:13
Your forgetting The Mountain dwellers of Finreht, The Jouran Dragoons,and Mordant Acid Dogs. All were listed on the GW Spain website.

Idaan
25-10-2007, 21:07
So, lots of responses here.

I'm no expert on the Guard, but I can tell you that there is a way to retrieve most of the information on the Armageddon3 website. I don't know why GW have closed it, the Medusa V and the Eye of Terror website down, especially since they reference it in their "Apocalyptic history" pages, or whatever it was.
Thank you very much for the links, all the Guard articles are now (relatively) safe on my hard disk.

Sadly, nothing was written about those regiments -- they existed only as sketches with a few words like "Excelled. Honor Attatained" or "Heavy Losses, Battle of High Pass" beneath each sketch. They did LOOK cool though, particularly the Tekarn Iron Fists and the Feral Dogs.That's a shame. But on the second thought, it gives me more room to make my own stuff up.

The Fornus Lix Firedrakes are known to be capable of doing thing other regiments do with tanks, with infantry.
They still use tanks, but they're probably heavier infantry then other guard regiments.

Also, they can pretty much take care of themselves, where other regiments need all kinds of officials to make sure things go the right way.
That one's interesting, I wonder where does it come from?

Your forgetting The Mountain dwellers of Finreht, The Jouran Dragoons,and Mordant Acid Dogs. All were listed on the GW Spain website.And Drookian Fen Guard. But they didn't appeal to me that much as these old regiments.

Basically I wanted to do some conversion work on an Imperial Guard squad (and probably later army - I dream big) to make them different to Cadians.
And as I'm a fluff nut, I thought I'll find some already existing but obscure regiment rather than making one up.
My favourite regiments thus far were Teutonians and Fornus Lix as I said.

So for Teutonians (the guys with longcoats and pickelhaube) I thought obviously of a world based on Imperial Germany and Austro-Hungary, sending its regiments to a hopeless crusade full of attritional trench warfare (but with better reasoning than in IA5;)). Conversion-wise I think that Cadian arms and High elf archer legs with sculpted heads are way to go.

When it comes to Fornus Lix, their helmets remind me of American helmets a bit, and a firedrake suggests flamers and meltas. I added the fact that I've been listening to some Jimi Hendrix recently and I came up with the idea of them being Grenadiers using Valkyries and fighting in jungles or toxic swamps. So basically Americans with gasmasks fighting in Vietnam. Westwind American heads with sculpted gasmasks and Cadian bodies with bulked-up body armour should do.