PDA

View Full Version : Redirecting a charge

Weapon-X
23-10-2007, 15:23
Is the only time one can do this, when an enemy flees as a charge response and there is another enemy unit within range that is directly in line with your original charge path? Any help would be most helpful!

T10
23-10-2007, 15:54
"After a unit has fled from the charge, it can happen that the chargers (...) run into another enemy that is in the way of their move."

This is how I interpret the "Enemy in the way rules".

Its complicated, really, but if you can't reach the target unit then you have essentially failed your charge and make a normal move instead. If you reach the target unit you carry on in a straight line until you have moved your full charge move.

If the move you are making (failed, or full) brings you into contact with an enemy you can declare a charge against them. If you don't, you'll have to stop 1" away instead.

The new charge is measured from the starting position, but it *is* a new charge with a new target. That means that once the target has made its charge response you get a charge move to reach him, not just the "failed charge move".

There really are a host of different issues to deal with. If the enemy decides to hold and you find your charge path obstructed by a different enemy none-the-less, does that allow you to declare a new charge against that unit instead? If a Large Target Flyer charges unit A behind unit B, can the charger really claim that B is an enemy in the way and charge B instead? These rules kind of rely on cooperating with your opponent and that you come to an informed agreement as to why and how things should work.

-T10

warlord hack'a
25-10-2007, 09:24
the below sequence is how I play it and is what I believe to be correct, if not please tell me otherwise asap..
1) declare charge
2) if enemy flees, roll the dice for distance
3) move the fleeing unit (parallel to the line from the centre of one unit to the centre of the other unit)
4) Now see which enemy unit is the first on the line along which the fleeing unit is fleeing, guess if this unit is within chargerange or not and decide if you want to charge them. Even if this unit was first out of sight of the chargers you can still declare a charge against them. When you see which enemy unit might be in your way take into account the width of the charging unit! (note: this is my interpretation but it seems the logical thing to do, but it is a very important point of difference as any unit will be wider than just the line between 2 units and will therefore much easier hit something new than only the line you would otherwise use).
5) the charger has the option to declare a charge against this new enemy unit or to refrain from this. If he does not charge he moves his failed charge move after the first (and only) unit he charged, stopping either when his move is up or when he is 1 inch from the second enemy unit.
6) if he does charge, the 2nd enemy unit gets to declare charge response. If they also flee repeat steps 2-4 and note that this will cause a new charge direction for the charging unit, maybe running into a third enemy unit etc..
7) once there is no enemy in the way or an enemy does not flee move the chargers towards this last target, including the necessary wheel or pivot (which might be very big indeed in the end). Note that this is the first time the chargers are actually moved. Measure the wheel and the distance needed to move, if it is too much then you end up with a failed charge. If it is enough then make the full chargemove and move into contact with this enemy unit.
8) when you finally move the chargers, either failed or succesful, every enemy unit you move through that has fled from your charge will be destroyed. But note that this only counts for enemy units you move through, when a few units surround one charging units and they all flee they all flee in different directions and the charger catches only those he finds on his final path..

My question is: what actually happens with the first fleeing unit if it moves far enough to move behind a friendly unit and this friendly unit now gets charged by the charger but holds. Is the fleeing unit now safe or should you check if the chargers reach them and wipe them out, even though the chargers actually hit the blocking friendly unit..
And my other question: suppose the first fleeing unit does not flee far enough and the chargers move their full charge move straight after them and run them down and during that full charge move find an enemy in the way.. This is a different situation from what I describe above as you move the chargers after the fleeing unit right away.. So my question is: what if the nearest enemy unit is still the fleeing unit? Do you catch them and stop 1 inch from the 2nd enemy unit (so you are not allowed to redirect). Or do you also redirect? I think it is the first one but am not quite sure..

Weapon-X
25-10-2007, 15:29
Thanks a lot for the clarification guys. It definately seems that this rule is not really water tight however. It is good to know that there is a general consensus on how it works in its most basic form, which is also its most common I believe. I can definately see what you are saying though T10, without a dicussion with your opponent on how this rule should be played it can easily get out of hand. Thanks again guys!

highelfmage
25-10-2007, 18:57
can someone give me a ref page

T10
25-10-2007, 19:06
p. 23: Enemy in the way.

Also, p. 45: Pursuit into Fresh Enemy is a closely related topic..

-T10

warlord hack'a
25-10-2007, 21:21
but the FAQ helps out the most, it has three questions on the topic and some nice pictures.. My 2 questions still stand though, anyone any suggestions?

sulla
25-10-2007, 21:39
My question is: what actually happens with the first fleeing unit if it moves far enough to move behind a friendly unit and this friendly unit now gets charged by the charger but holds. Is the fleeing unit now safe or should you check if the chargers reach them and wipe them out, even though the chargers actually hit the blocking friendly unit.. The first enemy is safe. They would only get caught like that if they have broken from combat.

And my other question: suppose the first fleeing unit does not flee far enough and the chargers move their full charge move straight after them and run them down and during that full charge move find an enemy in the way.. This is a different situation from what I describe above as you move the chargers after the fleeing unit right away.. So my question is: what if the nearest enemy unit is still the fleeing unit? Do you catch them and stop 1 inch from the 2nd enemy unit (so you are not allowed to redirect). Or do you also redirect? I think it is the first one but am not quite sure..Personally, I'd stop an inch away (because i haven't declared a charge against them and they are no longer 'in the way' which has a mechanism allowing me to declare a new charge against them )but if my opponent disputed this (most likely if it was his unit that was charging), I would probably let him dice for it. I wouldn't have too much problem either way to be honest.

warlord hack'a
26-10-2007, 07:38
thanks for the replies Sulla, at least now I know I am not the only one thinking this. Would be nice though if they FAQ-ed it, they solved a lot of questions with the FAQ but not all..

eldrak
26-10-2007, 08:32
I think the rules are pretty clear. You can do EitW even after you catched the fleeing unit so Sulla is wrong on that one.

The EitW rule says "as they make their full charge move straight after the intended target (or right through them!)"

warlord hack'a
26-10-2007, 12:18
Eldrak, excellent point, we were wrong on that one apparently..