PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with a vastly more poerful gang

Commissar Bob
23-10-2007, 16:50
Hi all

I am managing a necromunda campaign with my 3 roomates. All 4 of us have gangs and are in the middle of the chaos gate campaign, but a problem has sprung up.

One of the gangs is vastly more powerful than any of the others. My gang has a ganger rating of 1588 and another has 1587. But one of my roomates has a gang rating of 2700 with his van saar gang, and he just payed out the credits for a 2nd heavy with heavy stubber. I'm beginning to become concerned that his gang will just dominate everyone else.

Do any of you wisened Necromunda players have any suggestions for how to help level the playing feild without seeming to be unfair? I don't want to get him upset, he is my roomie after all. But any ideas on dealing with the situation would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Commissar Bob

Major_Gilbear
23-10-2007, 19:25
So join forces with your mate and take him down a few notches... easy really.

floyd pinkerton
23-10-2007, 19:51
yup, team up to beat him.

Another idea is to lose to him a few times, volutarily bottling out ASAP, and the extra experience you get will mean you'll soon catch up

Catferret
24-10-2007, 06:47
How did he get so much further ahead? Has he been playing more games than everybody else? Or just really lucky with his XP and cash?

If he has played more games then it wouldn't be unfair to ask him to take a breather while the rest of you have a few catchup sessions.

Or choose to Ambush or Raid him a few times. Means you should outnumber him.

These are just other options so you don't always have to join up with your mates to take him down, which is probably the best idea. If you are constantly ganging up then he possibly won't enjoy it as much. And you my get bored as well.

Maybe write up a special scenario where he has been hired by the Guilders to defend a factory and you or the others get some bonuses like a Mentor or some free Scummers to help disrupt production. Good excuse to make a cool factory with overhead cranes and walkways too! :D

Whichever option you go for, good luck and enjoy the games!

Carlos
24-10-2007, 09:39
My friend still has a 20-man escher gang with a rating of 17,000.

I just team up with him and play purges!

BigRob
24-10-2007, 15:06
Ally with another gang to take him on, Use the scenario tables instead of playing normal gang fights, Enjoy the massive underdog bonus to XP, If you have them, use vents/tunnels/other to your advantage, Careful selection of items and weapons to pin him down, Grenades/flamers/mass firepower or CC.

Big gangs often mean the end of a campaign as people get bored of fighting the impossible guy, but its not that bad. If anything else grab a couple of decent hired guns, they can really help with thier skills and weapons.

Guyver OmegaX
25-10-2007, 08:30
I've honestly never had any issues when fighting significantly more powerful gangs - campaigns I run/play in often have gangs retire at ratings of ~3000, meaning after that you get a fresh gang against gangs with ratings well over 2500 (similar differences in gang rating to your 'problem'). Work your gang in small teams (I suggest 3 models), pick off weaker individuals and try to force bottle tests. Hide from Heavies, use tunnels/vents to get close to them if possible - they're often easy kills in CC. Hug your cover for all it's worth. Hump it if necessary. Fighting a much moe powerful gang, you basically must rely more on your cs than the abilities of your gang - that's what makes a good gang leader.

You won't often win; but you ARE the underdog, and you get decent rewards from playing larger gangs anyway, so you soon catch up.

The only other method we've brought in to keep gangs from becoming too powerful was in our last campaign, when we forced gangers and not gangs to retire; When they hit a certain experience level (I forget the numbers, but a bit higher than the highest bracket in the advances chart), a gang fighter has to retire. He takes all his equipment with him, and the gang gets nothing in return (we prevented his equipment being changed after a certain exp. level, to prevent players stripping him of his equipment just before he retired).

Commissar Bob
25-10-2007, 19:28
Thank you all for your suggestions, they gave me some good ideas for how to deal with his gang.

As for those of you who asked how his gang rating got so much higher then anyone else's the explanation is that I try and run multiplayer games just so everyone has a chance to play due to various time constraints (we are in the middle of our fall quarter at college) and so far we have played the close the sewers game twice, and recently we played the raid the Imperial Guard depot scenario with all 4 gangs going up against 30 guardsmen and 3 commissars. Due to some poor rolling my gang and another gang both bottled out after massive casualties, but we succeeded in drawing more then half the gaurdsmen and 2 commissars in dealing with us. This allowed his van saar gang to waltz into the depot with a massive 10 gangers. This contributed greatly to his massive jump.

I cant beleive I misspelled "powerful" in the thread title, doh!

Thanks again for all the comments.
Commissar Bob

Angelwing
27-10-2007, 15:20
If I was up against a far more powerful gang that would see my gang in hospital or the morgue, was to send out two juves to get whacked and try to pick off a few of them, then bottle out when the opposition was closing in for the kill.
A buddy had a 50 strong cawdor gang, half of it was juves with hand flamers. I think my tactic was justified...

nightgant98c
31-10-2007, 03:39
I agree with those who said go out and bottle ASAP. Do as much damage as possible(you never know, if luck is on your side, you can take down anyone), but don't take any more damage than you have to. Then get out.

ash_wednesday
01-11-2007, 21:33
If you are going to play him alone, I suggest you play a few turns. Try and damage his gang a bit At the first sign of trouble, bottle out. Do this a few times. When you bottle out, make sure you have some gangers alive to make money. With you underdog bounse, you'll still get some exrta exp for losing.

After a while you'll be able to save up money to buy some bounty hunters to help out. It should help things out.

dayglowe
02-12-2007, 16:15
I vaguely recall Arbiter scenarios from the Outlander book and this might prove to be a possible way to deal with him a little.

His gang seems be more like a tiny army and considering that you mentioned an assult on an Imperial Guard depot this would, at the very least, draw the ire of both the PDF and the Adeptus Arbites. An attack on an IG depot is not a small thing and somebody would have to pay for it and pay dearly. An Adeptus Arbites scenario where a few gangers get hauled off and put to trial would be a proper outcome.

If that did happen you could have fun doing an Assault on Precinct 13 style scenario (if you haven't watched either the original or the remake find the time - totally worth it).