PDA

View Full Version : Considering fantasy

Warlord Kyle
23-10-2007, 19:12
ive played 40k for almost 2 years now and im considering also dabbling in fantasy. Im thinking of empire and i live the idea of a older style european army. Would this arny stand a chance in hell?

Captain
full plate
shield
50pts of magic
110pts total

Warrior Priest
Heavy armour
Shield
50pts of magic
146pts

2x 19 swordmen
full command
139+139

20 spearmen
full command
shield
140pts

2x 14 archers
112+112

1 great cannon
100pts

total 998

i also thought of removing one captain from a squad of swordsmen and the cannon for a hellblaster volley gun.

Any ideas?

huron
23-10-2007, 21:35
i would take out the archers and replace with pistoliers and have you considered knights as well you might not have enough points though for the knights but looks an alright army

Hvidponi
24-10-2007, 12:56
Archers are the weakest unit Empire got... Use crossbowmen or Gunners instead... Archers are just bad..
Otherwise seems solid... Although you could use some detachments...

debugging
24-10-2007, 15:08
You are missing on of the Empires strengths, detachments! I would recommend something more like this:

Captain (or mayby battlestandard bearer)
full plate
shield
50pts of magic

Warrior Priest
Heavy armour
Shield
50pts of magic

19 swordsmen
full command
detachment: 9 swordsmen
detachment: 6 archers

19 spearmen
full command
shield

1 unit of knights or pistoliers

1 great cannon

Spend the rest of the points on increasing the size of the infantry blocks, 25 including character is a better size.
Place the warrior priest with the spears, as they have more use for hatred.

I would not really recommend a helblaster in a small starter-army, they are to extreme, win big/lose big...

Read a bit about detachments, both the rules and tactics. Here is a good site about detachments: http://www.petsittingbyaaron.com/remanlegions/reman_tactics_main.html

Have fun!

/debugging

Son_Of_A_Horus
24-10-2007, 16:59
As suggested above, use detachments, you can take 2 per parent unit. Then you can have stand and shoot AND counter charge as a charge reaction...If you counter charge, you charge into their flank AND you strike first..plus the stand and shoot should take out some of the charging unit...PLUS you remove any rank bonus the charger gets.

Warlord Kyle
26-10-2007, 04:05
isnt the risk of the hellblaster volleygun worth it?

Saulot
28-10-2007, 04:00
how about taking a Helstrom Rocket Battery? is it worth it in 1k?

DirtyGarcia
28-10-2007, 05:30
From my experience the helstorm rocket is not reliable for the points. And if you do end up liking them I have a really nice one painted that I'll sell you. :D

Urgat
28-10-2007, 10:48
19 swordsmen
full command

19 spearmen
full command
shield

I'd get take one detachment per unit, to be able to create one more real unit. In smaller battles, that one more unit can make all the difference.

Warlord Kyle
06-11-2007, 03:40
is there any unit that is particularly good at being a detachment like handunners or crossbow men?