PDA

View Full Version : Slaanesh Rare?

Red_Lep
23-10-2007, 19:50
I'm building a 1000 point Slaanesh mortals cav army and need something to hit hard. Can't decide between the regular Dragon Ogres or a Giant. Thoughts on which would work best?

Neknoh
23-10-2007, 20:23
Do you have Chaos Knights, a Boobieworm mounted Exalted and a unit of Mounted Daemonettes and one of Horsemen with Flails? If so, I would personally suggest doggies as a next step

Red_Lep
23-10-2007, 20:39
Very basic idea.

Heroes- 180

Sorceror- 180
~Mark of Slaanesh
~Steed of Slaanesh
~Sceptre of Domination
~Dispel Scroll
~Level 2
**Goes in larger unit of warhounds
.................................................. ............................................
Core- 163

Marauder Horsemen(5)- 85
~Full Command
~Shields
~Flails
**Flanker

Warhounds(8)- 48
Warhounds(5)- 30
**Meat Shield
.................................................. ............................................
Special- 150

Furies(10)- 150
Total- 493

Since I was needing another core I was thinking of adding

Dragon Ogres(3)- 237
~Great Weapons
~Light Armor

Marauder Horsemen(5)- 85
~Full Command
~Shields
~Flails
**Flanker

Warhounds(5)- 30
**Meat Shield

huron
23-10-2007, 20:48
get a choas lord mounted on steed of slaanesh it has a charge range of TWENTY INCHES

Red_Lep
23-10-2007, 20:49
get a choas lord mounted on steed of slaanesh it has a charge range of TWENTY INCHES

1000 points so no lord.

Neknoh
23-10-2007, 21:06
Ok, I'll have a look at the list:

Heroes- 180

Sorceror- 180
~Mark of Slaanesh
~Steed of Slaanesh
~Sceptre of Domination
~Dispel Scroll
~Level 2

- The first thing that strikes me is the use of the Sceptre of Domination in a 1k game, a gamesize where NO character will EVER be able to deal significant damage to his own unit, furthermore, at 1k, I do question the use of a Sorceror, two Spells are often good and well, but a dispell scroll might ruin your day if you can only cast a spell once. Thirdly, your decision to put him with Warhounds rather than on his own is pussling.

Core- 163

Marauder Horsemen(5)- 85
~Full Command
~Shields
~Flails
**Flanker

First of all, you do not need shields, nor a Full Command on a unitof 5 Marauder Horsemen with Flails and a Musician, second, your points cost is NOT correct, 5 Horsemen with Flails and Musician is 81 points, add a Banner, a chieftan and shields and you're up way beyond that.

Warhounds(8)- 48
Warhounds(5)- 30
**Meat Shield

Sorry to break it to you, but Warhounds doesn't count for mandatory Core choices, so you're one short here, my personal suggestion would be to drop the Dragon Ogres in favour of a unit of Knights of Slaanesh (possibly Chosen) with the Raptorous Standard or warbanner.

Special- 150

Furies(10)- 150

- Five mounted Daemonettes will do you a LOT more good in a mounted-list, where their insane charge range, high ammount of high strength attacks and Aura of Slaanesh will help a lot more than ten Furies, you won't really need to go Warmachine hunting in 1k (and that can just as easely be done by the Horsemen).
Total- 493

Dragon Ogres(3)- 237
~Great Weapons
~Light Armor

Marauder Horsemen(5)- 85
~Full Command
~Shields
~Flails
**Flanker

Warhounds(5)- 30
**Meat Shield

Ok, those additions do look sound, although, again, your Horsemen are WAY off on their points.

Drop the Sceptre, consider turning him into an exalted with the Greatfang and a Shield and you're set says I

Red_Lep
23-10-2007, 21:15
Ok, I'll have a look at the list:

Heroes- 180

Sorceror- 180
~Mark of Slaanesh
~Steed of Slaanesh
~Sceptre of Domination
~Dispel Scroll
~Level 2

- The first thing that strikes me is the use of the Sceptre of Domination in a 1k game, a gamesize where NO character will EVER be able to deal significant damage to his own unit, furthermore, at 1k, I do question the use of a Sorceror, two Spells are often good and well, but a dispell scroll might ruin your day if you can only cast a spell once. Thirdly, your decision to put him with Warhounds rather than on his own is pussling.

Core- 163

Marauder Horsemen(5)- 85
~Full Command
~Shields
~Flails
**Flanker

First of all, you do not need shields, nor a Full Command on a unitof 5 Marauder Horsemen with Flails and a Musician, second, your points cost is NOT correct, 5 Horsemen with Flails and Musician is 81 points, add a Banner, a chieftan and shields and you're up way beyond that.

Warhounds(8)- 48
Warhounds(5)- 30
**Meat Shield

Sorry to break it to you, but Warhounds doesn't count for mandatory Core choices, so you're one short here, my personal suggestion would be to drop the Dragon Ogres in favour of a unit of Knights of Slaanesh (possibly Chosen) with the Raptorous Standard or warbanner.

Special- 150

Furies(10)- 150

- Five mounted Daemonettes will do you a LOT more good in a mounted-list, where their insane charge range, high ammount of high strength attacks and Aura of Slaanesh will help a lot more than ten Furies, you won't really need to go Warmachine hunting in 1k (and that can just as easely be done by the Horsemen).
Total- 493

Dragon Ogres(3)- 237
~Great Weapons
~Light Armor

Marauder Horsemen(5)- 85
~Full Command
~Shields
~Flails
**Flanker

Warhounds(5)- 30
**Meat Shield

Ok, those additions do look sound, although, again, your Horsemen are WAY off on their points.

Drop the Sceptre, consider turning him into an exalted with the Greatfang and a Shield and you're set says I

I forgot the marauders command, my bad.

When I added the sceptre I was thinking of characters in larger games instead of smaller, I'm changin' it. Putting the Sorceror in the unit was to deal with shooting at him that the other warhounds didn't/couldn't stop.

How big of a difference will the Exalted make because I REALLY like the Slaanesh lore and was wanting to go rather magic heavy.

Neknoh
23-10-2007, 21:21
In 1k, magic-heavy with marks is rather difficult to do well, I would suggest using an exalted at this points level, give him a Greatfang (there are no better can-openers) or a Berserker Sword (2-4 extra attacks depending on the enemy), he should serve you well when learning to play with a cavalry force.

From here, you should expand to 1.5k by simply adding a lvl 2 Powerstone or Scroll sorceror on a Steed of Slaanesh as well as a unit of Slaaneshi Knights with a Warbanner.

From there to 2k, you should add another lvl 2 sorceror on a steed (2 powerstones or 2 scrolls again, or perhaps a Spell Familliar?) and then use the rest of the points either for another unit of Knights, or to upgrade your current ones to Chosen (heck, you might even have points for both, or at least for Chosen+Marauder Horsemen), this should leave you with a very viable and useful mounted Chaos list at 2k, with 4 levels of Slaaneshi magic in support. Remember, learning to play slaanesh is learning to play the army, and then learning to incorporate the magic to make it stronger, not utilising the magic to make the army work

mav1971
23-10-2007, 21:34
I don't know why your taking all those hounds. Let alone putting your character in that unit. He'll lose his immune to psychology and whether he charges or is charged being with the hounds is going to get him killed.

L192837465
23-10-2007, 21:49
yeah. and there is no punch in that list. the dragon ogres, yes. punchy. but can they hold out in a long combat? oh no. nononono. i would actually not recomend any rares besides a spawn or two at this point level. and remember, a chaos sorcerer cannot take anything not arcane as wargear. i'd go with a 10 strong knight unit, backed by 2 units of marauder fast cav, 2 5 dog units, a cc hero (greatfang is pretty amazing) and a scroll caddy (lvl 2... why not)

both the charecters on steeds (not of slaanesh, because the steeds can die leaving your knight unit having to deal with a 4" move) and put em both in the knight unit (or at least the exaulted. just watch out for boltthrowers at your scroll caddy)

Neknoh
23-10-2007, 21:52
and remember, a chaos sorcerer cannot take anything not arcane as wargear

Ermm... what are you talking about?

Red_Lep
23-10-2007, 22:00
Swapped some stuff, how does this look?

Heroes- 180

Slaanesh Sorceror- 180
~Mark of Slaanesh
~Steed of Slaanesh
~Dispel Scroll
**I just like him, I realise the Exalted would be better.
.................................................. ..................................................
Core- 424

2x Marauder Horsemen(5)- 81
~Musician
~Flails
**Flankers

Slaanesh Knights(4)- 202
~Mark of Slaanesh
~Full Command

2x Warhounds(5)- 30
**Meatshields
.................................................. ..................................................
Special- 150

Mounted Demonettes(5)- 150
Rare- 237

Dragon Ogres(3)- 237
~Great Weapon
~Light Armor
Total- 991

Neknoh
23-10-2007, 22:02
You still forgot the shields on those Horsemen :p

Other than that, looks fairly decent, I'd wager on dropping the Champion upgrade from the Knights in order to get them a Warbanner

EDIT: Or actually even a fifth knight based on the points you have left.

Although... I do wonder, what is it you've given to the Dragon Ogres?

Arnizipal
23-10-2007, 22:04
Slaanesh Knights(4)- 202
~Mark of Slaanesh
~Full Command
Isn't the minimum unit size 5 for Chaos Knights?

Red_Lep
23-10-2007, 22:07
Isn't the minimum unit size 5 for Chaos Knights?

Nope, 4 is the minimum.

Edited.

MarcoPollo
24-10-2007, 02:25
Neknoh's suggestions are excellent. And I agree that a warbanner on the knights is more useful than a champion upgrade.

mav1971
24-10-2007, 13:58
Can your sorcerer have a steed of slaanesh? I thought only exalted champs and lords could . I don't have my rule book in front of me.

Red_Lep
24-10-2007, 15:59
Can your sorcerer have a steed of slaanesh? I thought only exalted champs and lords could . I don't have my rule book in front of me.

Aslong as he has the mark he can.