PDA

View Full Version : september oz white dwarf

violenceha
07-09-2005, 07:22
is it just me or is this a really crappy issue? i'm not trying to start a thread on how terrible white dwarf is, i think this years issues have been a vast improvement, there's been plenty of great articles. i got this months issue a week ago, flicked through and have bothered reading any of it. it just seems to be garbage. any thoughts? (please no Boo is crap type posts)

Samoth
07-09-2005, 17:09
Yep. Really, it is. Half lotr, 2/8 fantasy, 1/8 40k, and 1/8 crappy mail order deals that are more expensive than if you bought them seperately. :wtf:

Kordos
08-09-2005, 07:47
yup the only good thing bout the issue is no editorial from booster, but really, oz white dwarf died about a year ago - which is why i stopped buying it, if they upped the amount of australian gw articles in there then i would started buying it again - otherwise why have an oz white dwarf ? why not just give us the uk or us white dwarf

hilltroll
08-09-2005, 07:55
How was the LotR content? I was thinking of getting it, cos I only play LotR, and the new edition is released. However, WD LotR content is often fairly poor quality, or there isn't enough of it to justfy the cost.

Is the battle report from the old rules edition?

Shibboleth
09-09-2005, 18:21
...it just seems to be garbage. any thoughts?
I'd always like more 40K, since I hardly ever read LotR or WH articles except to look at the models for parts.
But, then again it is the relaunch of LotR, and Wood Elves are midrelease, while 40K has nothing going on right now.
I think it's just how the cookie has crumbled at the moment.
I don't mind being starved of 40K for a bit because I know the BT are just around the corner,
- and the Assault Terminators are coming with them!!!!!!!!! :chrome:

Nazguire
11-09-2005, 07:14
is it just me or is this a really crappy issue? i'm not trying to start a thread on how terrible white dwarf is, i think this years issues have been a vast improvement, there's been plenty of great articles. i got this months issue a week ago, flicked through and have bothered reading any of it. it just seems to be garbage. any thoughts? (please no Boo is crap type posts)

I've noticed that the White Dwarf of Australia DOES have its moments. However, Lord of the Rings, I sincerely do not like. At all. Apart from the miniatures, but even they aren't a certainty. So 40+ pages of LotR isn't something to endear me to the magazine.

However the Rhinox Cavalry/Heinrich Kemmelr/Ghark Ironskin rules were really appreciated as were the Ogre Kingdoms army that was displayed. Good stuff how to convert a Bangstick. :D

-Ed
11-09-2005, 07:57
While I don't like LotR very much, there's usually the odd useful piece I can garner from every issue (usually terrain or painting stuff). Unfortunately, the beefed up section seemed to lack the normally useful stuff and just rambled on, and on and on about the new rule book and the new starter set.

Rhys
11-09-2005, 09:45
Yep. Really, it is. Half lotr, 2/8 fantasy, 1/8 40k, and 1/8 crappy mail order deals that are more expensive than if you bought them seperately. :wtf:

Actually there is more Fantasy than LOTR (including new releases for both). Not much 40K though. So mixed feelings from me being a 40k and LOTR player. Which is understandable considering LOTR released this month and Wood Elves a couple of months ago. I would expect tons of 40k when Templars are released. This ebbs and flows with new releases.

In the last 6ish months there has been very little LOTR. It gave rise to a lot of speculation of LOTR being dropped but I guess it was just because they were busy with the new edition and expansions.

Did anyone check out the back cover? Sweet looking tech guard being stalked by some large tyranid.

hilltroll
11-09-2005, 12:46
So Rhys, as a LotR collector, did you enjoy the section?

Rhys
11-09-2005, 21:36
I bought the new rulebook as soon as it was out so the preview is of little interest. Tactics article was below my level but would be useful for a beginner. The modelling terrain articles are great since I am not very good at making terrain. Scenarios and battle reports are always interesting to play/read.

So, probably 7/10 for the LOTR section.

Nazguire
12-09-2005, 11:07
The thing that bugs me about the Lord of the Rings sections of White Dwarfs, is that the content that they have is generally far more useful and entertaining than the WFB/W40K sections. It seems every issue they have new troop types, minor characters, scenarios etc as opposed to the WFB/40K sections where it is once in a blue moon where we get new rules/tacticas/scenarios etc to try out. Granted this issue was an exception to the rule but please...