PDA

View Full Version : Space Wolves and the 13th company

Pooky
24-10-2007, 02:37
How would the "modern" space wolves meet the lost and ancient 13th company?

I'm guessing it would be one of three ways:

1) The SW commander would guess that they have been in the warp too long and must surely be enemies of the imperium. I doubt this would happen, the SW seem to have a very strong comradeship thing happening

2) The SW commander would welcome the lost company back to the fold and head back to the chapter fortress for an ale and stories over a feast. Kind of like seeing an old friend again. My money is on this one.

3) The SW commander would be indifferent and would expect them to fight the same as any SW, wether they were lost in the EoT for ages or if they were just inducted yesterday. I guess this because they are marines and there is no room for things like love and personal emotion. But I would expect that attitude from some of the more rigid chapters, like the Ultramarines or Imperial Fists.

I'm also guessing that since the SW aren't very structured and are slightly scattered, the responce would depend on the SW commander in charge.

Any thoughts?

Imperialis_Dominatus
24-10-2007, 04:43
In most cases they'd be like all WTF, but eventually go to b. That's my opinion.

Terrordar
24-10-2007, 04:51
I think they would actually rank them either among enemies of the Imperium, or number 3.

Kveld-Ulf
24-10-2007, 06:40
Taken from Hero's and Villains:

"The Ulfhedinn" Gretrir said, and it seemed to the pair that the fire crackling in the hearth died down as the word left the Rune Priest's lips.

Comprehension dawned in the Wolf Lord's eyes as he recalled the teachings of the Rune Priests and other, whispered sagas that only the most senior of the Chapter were permitted to hear.

"The Lost--they return?" asked Logan.

"Aye, my Lord. For good or for ill the Were-kin shall once more stalk the domains of Man."

It sounds to me as if the 13th company is held in awe, and apprehension. Even before their mishap in the Eye, the 13th company were the "Were-kin" aka Wulfen. Fearing the taint of Chaos, I'd imagine the SW will be on their guard, not trusting the 13th company until they can be proven loyal to the Emperor.

Highball
24-10-2007, 06:47
I imagine it being a mix of Kveld-Ulf's statement (awe and apprehension at first), but drinking and celebration would come later on.

BrainFireBob
24-10-2007, 07:15
The Space Wolves overall?

Once they realized they were the Lost brethren, I envision "accidentally" letting them over-run a supply depot with arms, armor, and good Fenrisian bear. I'd also expect all "modern" Space Wolves with the mark of the Wulfen to "mysteriously" be "lost in combat/MIA" in the region of the Eye of Terror- as the Wolves try and reinforce, re-arm, and protect their brethren from the Inquisition. I'm surprised they didn't exert more effort to protect the Wolf Brothers, unless no Space Wolf was involved in their formation and they "left out" how to stabilize the Canus Helix.

EDIT: Personally, I always thought that was "why" the Space Wolves launched attacks into the Eye- not only to attack the Traitors, but to re-supply and reinforce the 13th Company, which in turn generally ran around slaughtering Traitors wherever they found them. When they were re-introduced as an army in the Eye of Terror codex I was quite taken aback.

He who is doom
24-10-2007, 13:43
i like the idea but i think the inquisition would try to wipe out the SW if the 13 company came back and were accepted

Kveld-Ulf
24-10-2007, 13:45
Also coming to mind is Logan Grimnar's personal feelings toward people. After the War on Armageddon, he was the only one to speak out against the mistreatment of the common folk, when they were enslaved for fear of warp taint.

Then again, he knew the valor of those men and women. I think he'll first be wary of them, until they've been made trust worthy. Although he is at odds with the inquisition at times, and gives people a chance, he is very much a loyal SM.

MutantMaggot
24-10-2007, 13:52
I agree with Pooky's views, but Grimnir will certainly give them a chance to prove their loyalty, though if the Inquisition proved they were heretical, Grimnir would defend them, or hand them over, depending on his point of view.

brother alinski
24-10-2007, 14:04
I read somewhere that Logan Grimnir dose protect the 13th from the inquisition but sees them as a thing of chaos so he wont let them join his legion.

Shortseer
24-10-2007, 14:14
I'm pretty sure they would not be welcomed back as brothers, beers in hand. The wulfen are sort of the shame of the SW. They would be welcomed, but in a discreet sort of way. There wouldn't be great welcoming parties, due to the whole "hey, we're werewolves, we wanna eat people" thing, but they certainly wouldn't be shot on sight

Amornar
24-10-2007, 15:51
I seem to recall some GW fluff during/right after the Eye of Terror campaign with Logan meeting some of the 13th company. I remember right they basically took council, no one knows what was said and the 13th left without a word after.

Also everyone seems to have forgotten one major point. The 13th company do not want to come back into the folds of the chapter. They have spent 10k years away on a mission, one which has obviously not been fulfilled which is why after the campaign they disappeared back into the eye.

Logan I'm sure would no doubt protect the 13th, but I doubt that he or the 13th company leaders would compromise the safety and security of the whole chapter in the eyes of the imperium, most notably the inquisition. However I would not be surprised if he sent them a few resources and made contact every once in a while.

When the Wolftime comes and Russ returns I am sure the 13th will come too, but until then the 13th and the SW chapter will stay separate and apart.

Nazguire
25-10-2007, 01:27
Can't see them re-joining the Chapter for a number of reasons. The Space Wolves do see them as brothers (see the poem in the 13th Company IA) and do mourn their loss, but it is a secret shame they bear (The Wulfen curse is an extreme mutation, more extreme (at least physically) then the Blood Thirst/Black Rage. I cannot see them publicly saying to the Imperium

"We're letting these furry, fanged, clawed, insane degenerates into the Chapter and just try and stop us".

That would bring a whole heap of problems upon the already scrutinised Chapter.

Also, as others have mentioned, the 13th Company don't seem particularly willing to re-join the Chapter. They have a mission (whatever it is, be it hunting Abaddon or another prominent Chaos leader (Magnus the Red?) or just simply whooping butt till they are all dead). That seems to be of paramount importance to them.

I can see Grimnar protecting the 13th Company politically (if not militarily) from overly bombastic and zealous Eccleisarchial priests, but I can't see him and the Chapter setting up new dormitories in the Fang for them.

Noserenda
25-10-2007, 03:37
The 13th company were those mad relatives you never really liked and were ashamed to be seen with, then they got themselves lost and everyone breathed a sigh of relief (then felt kinda guilty about it).

Now their back after spending god knows how long traipsing around the Eye of Terror, its no surprise the SW arent leaping to greet them...

As for the Inquisition making a move on the Space wolves? Less plausible, it would be political and literal suicide to try and get a Legion (Especially one well founded and regarded) Excommunicated without utter and damning proof, not some slightly Hairy Fleshtearers :evilgrin:

BrainFireBob
25-10-2007, 04:12
There's also the fact that the Wulfen aren't Wulfen all the time- there are still Wulfen amongst the Wolves, who are tolerated.

All Grimnar would need to do is declare they've decided it's a good idea to form a "Wulfen company" and declare that all SWs with the Mark are joining it- and then start adding in the existing 13th.

Nazguire
25-10-2007, 04:31
The 13th company were those mad relatives you never really liked and were ashamed to be seen with, then they got themselves lost and everyone breathed a sigh of relief (then felt kinda guilty about it).

Now their back after spending god knows how long traipsing around the Eye of Terror, its no surprise the SW arent leaping to greet them...

As for the Inquisition making a move on the Space wolves? Less plausible, it would be political and literal suicide to try and get a Legion (Especially one well founded and regarded) Excommunicated without utter and damning proof, not some slightly Hairy Fleshtearers :evilgrin:

The Space Wolves are exceptionally secretive and closed off to outsiders like the Inquisition and the Imperial Church. While they are about looking out for the little man and such (unlike other more zealous Chapters: Marines Malevolent for example) they still take great measures to keep every one else out of their affairs and business.

I would not be surprised if the few Wulfen in the Wolves were nothing more then myths and legends to outsiders, as they (the Wulfen) only live a few battles (if that) due to their curse. Therefore the Inquisition doesn't know about the Wulfen so dont' have much legs to stand on other then 'heathen' worship of Fenrisian legends and slight genetic deviancy like their fangs and enhanced senses.

If the Inquisition ever got wind of Space Wolves turning into werewolves they wouldn't hesitate (at least the overly self-righteous Inquisitors) to take action against them.

BrainFireBob
25-10-2007, 04:50
The Inquisition already know about the Wulfen- they don't act because a) The Wolves are too high-profile, and b) The "Curse" of the Wulfen makes the Wolves almost immune to the warping effects of Chaos. In the presence of strong chaotic, um, "tides," my understanding is that all Wolves start showing Wulfen traits- and remain themselves without further mutation. Hence why they're most likely to go campaigning within the Eye.

brother alinski
25-10-2007, 09:03
The Inquisition already know about the Wulfen- they don't act because a) The Wolves are too high-profile, and b) The "Curse" of the Wulfen makes the Wolves almost immune to the warping effects of Chaos. In the presence of strong chaotic, um, "tides," my understanding is that all Wolves start showing Wulfen traits- and remain themselves without further mutation. Hence why they're most likely to go campaigning within the Eye.

I thought the curse was a secret that was keeped withing the chapter like the fallen with the DA. Same with the Raven Guard and there mutated brothers etc.

Nazguire
25-10-2007, 12:56
I thought the curse was a secret that was keeped withing the chapter like the fallen with the DA. Same with the Raven Guard and there mutated brothers etc.

That's what I thought too. A secret known only to the Chapter and few selective (or lucky) outsiders.

Stewie Griffin
25-10-2007, 13:02
They would welcome them with open arms. they where sent into the portal by russ.

There would be some aprehension. maybe a "you could have called" but thats it. They may even take it as a sign that the return of russ may be soon