PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about Slovenians?

lord_blackfang
07-09-2005, 11:02
Not that any of you have actually met one :p

On these boards, you can find (as far as I know) little old me, Wraithbored, yerpo and Iuris.

Vaya
07-09-2005, 11:05
Well, based on your post, you're pretty sensible guys (gals) with a nice sense of humour. But that's basically where my knowledge of Slovenians ends...

McMullet
07-09-2005, 11:09
I met a guy from Slovenia once. He was an OK guy. I didn't know him that well, but he made me arm-wrestle him this one time, which I thought was a bit unfair as I am rubbish at arm-wrestling.

I am a reasonable man, however, and don't hold this incident against your country. I generally like most of Eastern Europe, the languages are wicked.

Griefbringer
07-09-2005, 11:22
I have actually been to Slovenia three times, and have met plenty of Slovenian people, both inside and outside the country.

I have to say that I find the county to be very nice and beautiful, as well as orderly and safe. Good food and great wine too. And the people have also been nice, polite, open-minded and modest.

Edit: McMullet, I definitely wouldn't call Slovenia as being in eastern Europe - it is definitely in central Europe, both geographically and culturally. And the language is not that bad.

Jedi152
07-09-2005, 11:30
I bet they get pretty annoyed when they are confused with other Eastern-Europeans, like Slovaks etc.

McMullet
07-09-2005, 11:38
Heh, I'm British. Everything except Spain, Portugal, Ireland and Iceland is Eastern Europe for me... :p

I apologise if any Slovenians are offended by being lumped in with Eastern Europe, but I still like your names and language.

Wiseman
07-09-2005, 12:12
im australian, everything from (and including britain) is eastern european to me;)

Griefbringer
07-09-2005, 12:23
[QUOTE=McMullet]Heh, I'm British. Everything except Spain, Portugal, Ireland and Iceland is Eastern Europe for me... :p
/QUOTE]

Hey, remember that EET (Eastern European Timezone) is GMT +2h, while GMT +1h is CET (Central European Timezone).

lord_blackfang
07-09-2005, 13:14
And the people have also been nice, polite, open-minded and modest.

You must've caught us on a good day :p

I bet they get pretty annoyed when they are confused with other Eastern-Europeans, like Slovaks etc.

Nah, we don't really care when Bush says that he enjoyed talking to the President of Slovakia after a meeting with the Prime Minister of Slovenia.

But it is a problem when tourists show up and demand to be taken to the cheap beer...

Griefbringer
07-09-2005, 13:38
But it is a problem when tourists show up and demand to be taken to the cheap beer...

Can't you just tell them: "That direction, 600 kilometers." :cool:

McMullet
07-09-2005, 13:42
Hey, remember that EET (Eastern European Timezone) is GMT +2h, while GMT +1h is CET (Central European Timezone).
Hmm. That's quite a good way to remember. Two pieces of useful information in one packamajig.

Rik Valdis
07-09-2005, 14:13
But the EET is placeslike Poland, Lithuania, Latvia etc which are clearly in the center of europe east-west. Look at a map, Europe goes as far as the Urals, the center point of the continent is in either southern Lithuania or northern Poland, depending on how you measure it.

Kohhna
07-09-2005, 14:21
AFAIK the Czechs usually regard them as being a bit backwards. I think Dubcek was a Slovene, so they can't be all bad anyway. Not a patch on the Dalmatians imho.

Griefbringer
07-09-2005, 14:28
But the EET is places like Poland, Lithuania, Latvia etc .

Actually, Poland is in CET.

Countries for sure belonging to EET include Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania, Bulgaria, and Greece - I am not too sure about Byelorussia.

Rik Valdis
07-09-2005, 14:31
Ok, I stand corrected but I think my point stands as the Baltic states are right in the middle of europe east-west. the only really eastern european countries (I think) are Russia, the Ukraine and any of the Caucasus that counts as Europe.

Tormentor of Slaanesh
07-09-2005, 20:11
can u call that part of europe eastern europe? i thought u had to call it central.
one the subject to the tread i assume slovenians are ace if they're anthing like poles or latvians.

lord_blackfang
07-09-2005, 20:29
For what it's worth, we consider ourselves to be in central Europe, with south a close second. Not east. No, certainly not east.

Griefbringer
07-09-2005, 21:08
Ok, I stand corrected but I think my point stands as the Baltic states are right in the middle of europe east-west. the only really eastern european countries (I think) are Russia, the Ukraine and any of the Caucasus that counts as Europe.

And I tend to agree with you.

Geographically, the last time I tried locating central point of Europe on the east-west and north-south axis, I managed to locate it somewhere in Poland.

Culturally, most of the countries outside Russia and Caucasus consider as western European - nowadays even the Ukrainians tend to consider themselves culturally more western than the Russians.

Big_Bear_Scot
07-09-2005, 21:39
Great bunch of guys and gals.

When they played Scotland at Hampden I met a few at the Iron Horse in Glasgow, they liked a few bevies(drinks) and in my book that makes them good people.

5upr3m3 h4xx0rz
07-09-2005, 21:51
Ive been to slovenia once. It was the summer of 2001 i think, and we went to hollard, drove through germany and austria to slovenia, stayed in lubiana (or however its spelled) and then went through italy to trieste where we took a ferry to greece.

I loved slovenia...great food, nice people, and the only thing i really remember from out trip there was our waitress at dinner the first night in lubiana...she was so hot...

santiholgado
08-09-2005, 06:22
Heh, I'm British. Everything except Spain, Portugal, Ireland and Iceland is Eastern Europe for me... :p

Then you have to put Spain out of the group as we are CET, even considering Greenwich meridian crosses us. But you can add Canary Islands, they're GMT :)

santiholgado
08-09-2005, 06:25
Forgot to say that, regarding slovenians, I've only met an argentinian of slovenian parents, so I can't really give an opinion about them.

I also saw a handball match between Slovenia and Russia (Sydney Olympics, quarter finals) and they were beaten badly, 10+ goal difference IIRC.

Alco Engineer
08-09-2005, 06:47
There once was a man from Slovenia
Who got caught out in the rain-ia
He hit his head on a bell,
Fell down a well
And ended up with a Migrain-ia

Sorry. that's all I got.

Never been there. Wouldn't have a clue where it is (Europe is All I know......Geez now I know how Americans feel ;) ). I'm sure its very nice. Pity all we can talk about is the time zone. I'd be interested to find out a little more. Inform me. (obviously you have computers and GW or else you wouldn't be here) What do you have? What dod you do for fun??

Griefbringer
08-09-2005, 08:14
Never been there. Wouldn't have a clue where it is (Europe is All I know......Geez now I know how Americans feel ;) ).

On map, Slovenia is located between Hungary, Austria, Italy and Croatia. It has been an independent country since 1991, before that it was the northern-most republic of Yugoslavia.

For plenty of information, see their tourism information pages at http://www.slovenia-tourism.si/intro/

5upr3m3 h4xx0rz: the name of the capital is written Ljubljana.

lord_blackfang
08-09-2005, 08:19
Forgot to say that, regarding slovenians, I've only met an argentinian of slovenian parents, so I can't really give an opinion about them.

Oh dear. You don't want to have anything to do with those. Well, their parents, at least. Can't hold the kids responsible, I guess.

Meh, better not take this any further.

Griefbringer
08-09-2005, 09:08
Oh dear. You don't want to have anything to do with those. Well, their parents, at least.

Are you suggesting that they had some sort of "shady past" which sort of encouraged them to relocate themselves to Argentina?

Iuris
08-09-2005, 09:12
To explain Blackfang's point:
After WWII, Slovenia got into a rather dark period. Killing nazi collaborators, imprisonment, confiscation of property and similar. Numbers got high, as there was a lot of collaboration going on during WWII, and as Slovenia was the northwesternmost part of Yugoslavia, every collaborator intent on fleeing for the west passed through here. It's a dark blotch on our history.

Of course, those who emigrated in this period were mostly devout christians and rightists. Thus, while the core of Slovenia remained leftist, the emigrants tend to be rather rightist (in local context). Asl the Warseer Slovenians are leftist, we hold rather low opinions of the other side.

75hastings69
08-09-2005, 09:20
I don't want to appear in any way racist. But why over the last 2 years has the UK become mobbed with Lithuanians, Latvians, Slovenians etc. what on earth are they all doing here (apart from draining our NHS & abusing the free handouts given by our soft touch country!!!!!)?

I went into McDonalds the other day (as anyone who knows me will tell you is no rare event!!) and not one of the workers spoke any level of decent english!!!!!

What is this country coming to?

Big_Bear_Scot
08-09-2005, 09:28
I don't want to appear in any way racist. But why over the last 2 years has the UK become mobbed with Lithuanians, Latvians, Slovenians etc. what on earth are they all doing here (apart from draining our NHS & abusing the free handouts given by our soft touch country!!!!!)?

I went into McDonalds the other day (as anyone who knows me will tell you is no rare event!!) and not one of the workers spoke any level of decent english!!!!!

They are doing the jobs that we don't want to do.

You also contradict yourself by saying they drain the NHS and you go on to say that you went to a McDonalds and none of the staff spoke English, so if they work in McDonalds, they pay taxes those taxes then help to pay for the NHS.

Without Immigration this Countries Tax base would be much lower, in effect the immigrants are helping to keep our Country a float.

As the saying goes, Britain is a 'mongrel' nation. We are the better for the infulence of Immigrants into our Country.

Iuris
08-09-2005, 09:30
Wouldn't know, we don't seem to be missing many Slovenians here. Rather, we seem to be getting an overabundance of Bosnians, Serbs, Montenegrans, Macedonians, Albanians and similar.

Big_Bear_Scot
08-09-2005, 09:42
@75hastings69

This might drag this into P&R.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/uk/05/born_abroad/economics/html/overview.stm

read this page, you will note that most migrants are in lowly paid jobs.

Back on topic,

I was looking through the various pictures I had from the Scotland/Slovenia match and I just found a picture of two Slovenians standing with my Girlfriend, they where trying to feel her up. :mad:

But it was in good fun, so I don't really care.

lord_blackfang
08-09-2005, 09:55

I doubt you get many Slovenians in your McDonalds', we regard ourselves as strictly in the "rich west" camp. You're more likely to find them as businessmen or scientists. Heh, my father was a lecturer at the Uni of Nottingham for a while. Not our fault if you don't have enough educated people and have to import some :p

@75hastings69
I was looking through the various pictures I had from the Scotland/Slovenia match and I just found a picture of two Slovenians standing with my Girlfriend, they where trying to feel her up. :mad:

But it was in good fun, so I don't really care.

I heard some crazy Scotsmen were running around the city naked and might even have gone skinny-dipping in the river (which is a rather frightening thought, given its pollution level.) I guess someone took the opportunity while the men were distracted :p

Griefbringer
08-09-2005, 10:14
Wouldn't know, we don't seem to be missing many Slovenians here.

According to some actual news I read yesterday, since Slovenia joined EU in May 2004, only "a couple of hundred" Slovenians have moved to work in other EU countries.

lord_blackfang
08-09-2005, 10:22
According to some actual news I read yesterday, since Slovenia joined EU in May 2004, only "a couple of hundred" Slovenians have moved to work in other EU countries.

And that probably includes the several dozen EU-bureaucrats and attendant staff.