PDA

View Full Version : When will GW catch on.

kairous
24-10-2007, 13:31
Ok, they have just released/ or are going to release customsiable movement trays, which are a god send for new and old fantasy players alike.
No what im thinking is how long before we see customisable foam inserts, i mean they made custom ones for the tank and cavalry cases and there is custom foam inserts in the new limited editon cases, so why, why don't they make these available can they not see how much easier that would make their and our lives if they did, not to mention the profit they would most likely make.
So, who agrees with me, or does anyone have any views on this?

alexh
24-10-2007, 13:51
I agree that they should sell foam trays seperately. It would save a lot of time and effort if they did. Surely it wouldn't cost them much more to order extra trays over and above what they order for the army cases. Even if they were slightly more expensive than competitors, I would probably buy from them just for ease.

purplehoob
24-10-2007, 14:05
I just bought a lot of foam trays from kieser foam ordered on the Monday morning delivered on the Tuesday afternoon.

Now thats service and cheap too. If GW sold loose trays they would probally be be more expensive than figures in comfort so I for one would prefer to wait the couple of days for the delivery. The postage and packaging was free as well.

Some of them were pick and pluck ones.

alexh
24-10-2007, 14:19
In my experience, Kaiser foam is not as durable as GW or figs in comfort.

purplehoob
24-10-2007, 15:11
Yes I will agree with you there, the foam walls are thinner because you can get 10 models per row instead of 8.

I have all three companies foam trays and must say that out of the three I do prefer figures in comfort. The foam is thicker and more durable, but Kaiser foam is deeper so you can squeeze more models in a case.

So plus and minus for both.

swordwind
24-10-2007, 15:57
You can get foam from every Dunelm and sewing shop in the realm.

leonmallett
24-10-2007, 19:15
I'd third the quality of Figures in Comfort.

Regarding GW selling the trays - maybe through mail order, but shop space is at a premium, and therefore it is not as effective use of wall/floor space as boxes of toy soldiers, which take up less space and sell for more.

kairous
24-10-2007, 20:30
i still think it would be easier if GW produced some, as mentioned earlier it would make everyones lives easier and they could always sell them on direct.

Stella Cadente
24-10-2007, 20:42
I have wondered that myself, especially when I need just 1 foam tray as a spare or summit

but then you think of it from GW's money grabbing business way

you need 1 foam tray, lets say 6 as an example, GW COULD sell that 6 tray...BUT why would they when they can just force you to buy a brand new 30-50 box, meaning more money for them

you have to think like a GW member remember

Frowbakk
24-10-2007, 22:37
I just buy spare foam rubber and cut fitted holes with a hobby/exacto knife.

Way cheaper, and available at any sewing store.

AFK in Life
24-10-2007, 22:54
Another option is to just buy the foam, by exploiting the great GW global web sites :).

http://ca.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.ca?do=Individual&code=13239999009&orignav=300810

That has the product code, I know it works atleast here in Canada, I ordered some foam recently and it came. It was kind of old, but if the standard exchange holds should only be 12-13 pounds in the UK if you can order it. It came with 3 trays and the top piece.

Give it a shot at a GW and see what price you get. I inserted the product code into the UK website and get 25 pounds back... where as the case is 30..... which is just insanity. Hope someone finds this handy.

Mikhaila
24-10-2007, 23:48
I've been ordering the foam trays for years. I think it's 20.00 US for the 3 trays and thin top piece that normally come in a figure case. I agree that it would be nice if they sell the customizable tank foam separately.

Stuart-GreatEscapeGames
25-10-2007, 00:29
Figure in Comfort trays are simply better. Here's a link to the UK website: http://www.figuresincomfort.co.uk/

They appear at most UK wargames' shows.

RavenMorpheus
25-10-2007, 04:03
Ok, they have just released/ or are going to release customsiable movement trays, which are a god send for new and old fantasy players alike.
No what im thinking is how long before we see customisable foam inserts, i mean they made custom ones for the tank and cavalry cases and there is custom foam inserts in the new limited editon cases, so why, why don't they make these available can they not see how much easier that would make their and our lives if they did, not to mention the profit they would most likely make.
So, who agrees with me, or does anyone have any views on this?

Yes it'd make our lives easier but it's still not as economical for GW as forcing us to buy a whole new case.

I resorted to buying foam from my local market trader and a B & Q Aluminium tool case, only cost me 15 for a 3 tray case and the foam inserts are custom cut to fit my awkward models.

It's much easier and cheaper to do it that way rather than waiting for GW to stop grabbing at the /$ signs, by the time they do that it'll be too late, they won't have anyone to sell to because we'll all have got fed up with the way they run their corner of the hobby and moved on to something else.

Anyone for a game of D & D?

fwacho
25-10-2007, 07:15
I've found the sabol pluck and pull style trays to be very handy. Keep my ravenwing in them. Very customizable (half inch by half inch square with varying degrees of depth depeding on your choice.) the sabol motor pool is a case with 6 trays that is an absolute bargain at $50 or about 25 pounds. especaily for you vehilce heavy guys. You can customize them to hold landspeeders securely.

kairous
25-10-2007, 17:37
well, generally im more of a 40k guy than a fantasy guy, but from what my friends have said and other fantasy players, these trays do seem like a really good idea.

yabbadabba
25-10-2007, 18:11
Are you mental? How can being charged 6 for a bit of sprue and some card be a good thing?

I was just about to post a rant about this. To my mind this is beyond the pale for GW to try this sort of nonsense. I mean

design cost: 10 minutes tops
material cost: 5p
packaging cost: 10p
sale price: 600p

Profit!

And here's an offer for you all: If you *are* considering shelling out for this silliness then please send me your 6 instead and, by return of post, I'll send you some old sprues and a bit of cereal packet and everyone will be happy.

Netpixie if you knew the slightest thing about what you are talking about here, you would know those costs aren't even in the same Galaxy, let alone an estimate.

And as to the rest of the "GW Knockers" here, has it ever occured to any of you might just be a simple case of supply and demand? :rolleyes:

For those of you with a memory past the last 5 minutes, you will remember that GW, over the years, has often had problems getting hold of any of it's cases it has sold due to supply issues from the manufacturers. They can't make enough to keep up. Another case in point is the colour sprays.

If GW could sell the inserts, they would, as well as the themed cases that come out a Christmas every year. They can't because they cannot get enough in to satisfy demand, and still fulfill the needs for the figure cases. So they don't full stop. They wouldn't turn down any mass profit making opportunity at the moment, and case inserts and colour sprays have to be top of that list.

Dayhan
25-10-2007, 19:14
The normal size of a unit in warhammer is 20 men. So I really can't understand why GWS made a cases that only hold 30 models each tray. It dosn't make any common sence. Even in the old days a unit with 4 ranks had 16 men in it. Still 2 models over in a normal tray.

I must admit I gave up along time ago trying to understand GWS reasoning in many of there products. Do people that start working for masive companys like GWs, wake up one morning with all common sence and logic removed from there brain ??? Seem's to make very little sence at all.