PDA

View Full Version : The Bret Gunline, stupid gimick or WAAC?

Forgotten_Hero
07-09-2005, 12:48
Hi, I have been toying with the Idea of a bret Gunline for a while now and I got down to using it last month against my friends TK. I won by massacre which surprised me as I had thought the list was a bit of a lame joke. Anyway here is what I used

Level 4: d-scroll, potion of +1 to roll, Brade of bourdex.

Level 2: Item of double P.D

Level 2: d-scroll

Level 2: d-scroll

BsB: Grail Vow, Pegasus, Sword of Might, Virtue of confidence, Enchanted Shield.

20 Bowmen, Full Command

20 Bowmen, Full Command

16 Skirmishing Bowmen

9 Knights of the Realm, Full Comand

9 Knights of the Realm, Full Comand

3 Peg Knights, Champion

2 Trebuchets

So is the list a brutal WAAC army that should never see the light of day again or was i just lucky. I don't consider myself a WAAC gamer so don't want to make dull games for my opponents. I now see some of its strengths (14p.d of life magic + some Bret Combat power) but how bad is it?

Lord Anathir
07-09-2005, 16:28
its not all that tough to beat unfortunately. There are alot of other armies tha when maxed out on magic can do much more damage. However, ur list seems good for a fun and different game with your friends. 14 Power dice will definently hurt some armies, but not everyone. Life magic isnt the strongest either, and if ur opponent decides wisely to not deploy on a hill, you will be left with high casting low damage spells. Also, ur opponent will tend to dispell the main damage spells, and let the often weaker ones go through. Howerver, nonetheless, with 2 units of knights and that @#$@#$ unit of pegusii, ur army still packs somewhat of a punch in combat.
With a little less magic, and a little more combat (maybe a combat lord + one more unit of knights) is probably the 'fluffy' way to play brettonian. Howerver, then again, everyone has their own tastes.

Brother Edwin
07-09-2005, 16:43
I think you should just do a normal brett army which happens to have 4 damsels. Against skaven you kill there ratlingsbefore you get in. And why not the double powerdice on the lord for 16 powerdice?

Forgotten_Hero
07-09-2005, 17:00
And why not the double powerdice on the lord for 16 powerdice?

It is of very limited use. With 6 levels of magic you are odds on to roll each spell in the law once. This means you have 16 dice to through at only 6 spells, 2 of which are almost always useless (Mistress of Marsh and Rain Lord) which means more often than not you will have 16P.D to through at 4 spells which can't have more than 3 dice thrown at each of them. That means at most you can use 12 p.d. Even is you find a use for Rain Lord then that still leaves you with using only 15 of your 16 P.D. Because of this I see no reason to go up to 16 P.D. The access to spells like Second Sign, Comet and Thunder Bolt given by the Prophetess makes here invaluable. I don't think making this change would make the list any stronger.

Tormentor of Slaanesh
07-09-2005, 21:28
if u had some fast cavalry it would probably work better as ur march blockers would be cheaper.

Griefbringer
07-09-2005, 22:29
Wouldn't a bowline be more fitting term than a gunline?

Ganymede
08-09-2005, 01:51
Like a lot of similar lists, this list has the potential to rain hell upon your opponent. It also has the potential to whiff. My advice would be to focus less on shooting and magic, and focus a bit more on your gorgeously effective knight units and cheap RnF. One thing you should really look for in a List is stability, and front loading your list with magic and shooting is not very stable.

Forgotten_Hero
08-09-2005, 10:13
Ok, nobody has answered the question, I don't want the list evaluated I just want to know if it comes across as WAAC?

feintstar
08-09-2005, 12:29
What does WAAC stand for?

Forgotten_Hero
08-09-2005, 12:38
Win at all Costs

Ganymede
08-09-2005, 13:20
The list has a horrible design aesthetic. I would give it an incredibly poor comp rating.

Brother Edwin
08-09-2005, 14:08
It would be more WAAC if you lost all the peasants and took MSU errants or KOTR.

T10
09-09-2005, 15:18
Hi, I have been toying with the Idea of a bret Gunline for a while now and I got down to using it last month against my friends TK. I won by massacre which surprised me as I had thought the list was a bit of a lame joke. Anyway here is what I used

It seems that the army is limited to only taking out Tomb Kings. Its anti-magic potential is pretty good, it hampers movement and it can shoot those weak slow-moving lightly armoured and expensive models.

Give it a couple of tries against some other types of armies, or better yet: play against your friends TK army without changing anything. He should do slightly better, but you should either win or at least draw.

-T10