PDA

View Full Version : Are Forest Spirit Armies Viable?

stonehorse
24-10-2007, 18:45
I've always wanted to field a Wood Elf army that is just made of non Elven Tree Spirits.

The only problem I can see is that I'd be limited to 2 Characters types, and 3 unit types. Quite a limited army selection pool. The two great tings are that the army would be easy to paint, and quite unique... from what I gather Forest Spirit armies are a rare thing to encounter on the table top.

Just wondering if anyone has ever used a similar army, and if they are any good?

Thanks in advance.

Chiungalla
24-10-2007, 19:25
You can field 4 unit types:
Dryads
Tree Kin
Treeman
and
Wild Riders of Kurnous (they are forest spirets, too).

But I don't think this is quite unique.
I have heard this idea several times, and had it on my own (but did not get very far with this idea so far).

stonehorse
24-10-2007, 19:29
You can field 4 unit types:
Dryads
Tree Kin
Treeman
and
Wild Riders of Kurnous (they are forest spirets, too).

But I don't think this is quite unique.
I have heard this idea several times, and had it on my own (but did not get very far with this idea so far).

As I mentioned in my original post I'm going for a non-Elven Tree Spirit army... so I won't be using Wild Riders, this is what makes it unique, also as you say people have the idea.. but it seems to go no further than this.

Latro
24-10-2007, 19:34
There's plenty of them around ... mostly because it's such an efficient and powerful list.

:cool:

Mordante
24-10-2007, 19:50
I've seen many posts here on this theme, try a search. Look for "Treemonic Legion" which is one of the names for this list. I've seen it done to great effect. I hate playing against the army. It just is no fun. I'd advise against building it, just so nobody else has to play against it. Treeman ancient and regular treeman, and lots of hard skirmishers. The treekin are the army's weakest unit. This build owns most armies if done right.

Latro
24-10-2007, 20:13
Playing a Wood Elf army with just Elves and no Trees would be the original thing to do the way things are now ... Trees are dominating because they are so dead-hard.

:cool:

Bender
24-10-2007, 20:29
i play a all elves wood elves army, and i think they are a very fast hard hitting army, that knows how to manouver very well, in fact it's best manouvering that an all tree army...

i play with alter highborn
noble - general
wild rider noble
lvl 1 mage (or alter noble)
3 units of archers
1 unit of glade riders
2 units of wardancers
2 units of wild riders
1 unit wardancers

very good army...

bcr964
24-10-2007, 21:48
Yes, this army is viable, though VERY untraditional. They key to this army's success is its cavalry. Because the army does not have ranks, it must rely on ways to defeat the ranks of the enemy army, therefore, to do this effectively, you have to have several (three or four in a 2000pts army) viscious cavalry units that can negate rank bonuses.