PDA

View Full Version : SkypeHammer!

silentwitness
24-10-2007, 20:39
Hey all,
I've payed attention to War Seer for almost a year now and have never had a need to create an account because you guys discuss things so well. Kudos.

However recently i have had to move and consequently not be in the same city as my favorite opponent. Desperate for a battle, we created a way to battle online utilizing publisher and Skype (voice over IP/ AKA free online telephone).

I wanted to bring this to the community's attention, because i have so far been unable to find another way to play the game long distance, leading me to believe that this fabled program does not exist. Therefore i present to you the next best thing SkypeHammer.

I am interested to see if this is something the community is interested in. Its no substitute for the real thing but there are some situations where it can be put to good use. Let me know what you think.

silentwitness

Crube
24-10-2007, 20:45
Be certainy interested to hear how it works... Let us know ;)

silentwitness
24-10-2007, 22:47
Its actually a very simple system. Using publisher one can create a 6' by 4' "sheet". Then using the free draw tool and the various coloring options one can create a good looking board. After attaching it all together so that the terrain can't move the "models" (rectangles/squares of the proper size with the name of the model, ie "spearman champion", on it) can be put on the board. Since Publisher has the built in measuring tape on the side you can create arrows of the lengths you need. Its relatively simple after that. The player who's turn it is does their movement phase then emails/skypes it to the other player who removes models due to combat/magic/shooting. This means that when it is the other players turn is up he already has an updated map. Other than that all the regular Warhammer rules stand.

Pros:
-enables play at long distances
-allows you to try new army lists you may not have the models for
-friendly
-requires a high amount of integrity (guess range, dice rolls etc...)
-endless terrain options
-hopefully be able to play some really good players online
-isn't hypothetical, it does work in practice

Cons
-requires a high amount of integrity (guess range, dice rolls etc...)
-noncompetitive
-issues involving LOS
-much harder (if you are being honest) to declare guess ranges and declare charges
-requires a microphone of some type and a relatively fast internet connection

Let me know what you all think.
PM me if you are interested in playing a game

silentwitness

Hvidponi
24-10-2007, 23:05
Sounds as a fantastic alternative... Hopefully GW won't make copyright claims or something... If someone could make a Java version without being killed by GW it would be even greater... I am a bit woried about the intergrity... Very, very, very easy to cheat... How do you roll dice?

Wouldn't this be alot easier over MSN?

silentwitness
24-10-2007, 23:33
There is no copyright infringement (except for maybe my avatar). That is unless playing warhammer by passing drawings back and forth is a copyright infringement (it isn't). A java game however could be considered an infringement because it would be designed specifically for the game and would have to use copyrighted material in its programming.

Oh yea and i like skype because of the versatility, you can instant message and use the phone function, making communication much easier.

On the dice question when me and my friend play we simply roll the dice and tell each other the results. I know this is like a giant neon sign saying CHEAT but in a friendly game like ours your only conscience is your own. I know there are dice roller programs on the internet that allow both players to see but i don't have any of them and am always wary of installing new software onto my precious computer.

Bottom line: integrity is the cornerstone to this game and a win means nothing if you cheat to achieve it

soots
25-10-2007, 01:41
I can easily write a Dice generator via a webpage.

The guess range thing would have to need an overhaul.
Scrap it. perhaps something like D6. 1-2 Guess correct. 3-4 Deviate D6. 5-6 Deviate 2D6.

For range spells maybe something like
if 24" range. If <22" well within range. if 22-26" 4+ to be in range, else out of range.

Khorghan
25-10-2007, 02:20
SkypeHammer? sounds like phone sex for nerds

Flypaper
25-10-2007, 07:31
A java game however could be considered an infringement because it would be designed specifically for the game and would have to use copyrighted material in its programming.
Nope; you can't copyright algorithms (which is effectively what a rule turns into when you code it), only specific code.

...And last time I checked, GW has never written their rules up in Java. :p

The only real question is whether it would be considered a sufficiently 'derivative work' to infringe on copyright.

Basically, you'd want to compare it to the legal status of programs like Apprentice or Magic Workstation (unofficial online Magic: the Gathering software).

soph0435
25-10-2007, 08:20
Isn't this a lot easier?
The flash online warhammer game
http://lwhfb.lorenzonuvoletta.com/

Noldo
25-10-2007, 11:07
The linked web site is also much more questionable in terms of IP. It does not include the rules of the units (intellectual property of GW), but it does include the unit names etc. and it is designed solely for the Warhammer (making it very likely a derivative work and thereby violation of GW IP).

Neknoh
25-10-2007, 11:51
I'd say use the above one and have Scype running in the background, much easier

soots
26-10-2007, 01:31
Isn't this a lot easier?
The flash online warhammer game
http://lwhfb.lorenzonuvoletta.com/

Wow, i cant beleive this exists.

I was thinking of making a site like this but couldnt invest the time into it.

Anyone use this? looks very polished, but it doesnt support english very well.

No instruction manual either.

Is there a ruler or change "wheel pivot corner point" button?

Highborn
26-10-2007, 06:20
Not a good link to have posted on a forum, as I understand it. A lot of people try very hard to keep it out of sight, and thus keep it alive.

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
26-10-2007, 19:21
interesting...
just interesting...
I like your idea

Dayhan
27-10-2007, 11:11
I think you will find you can do the same thing over Windows Live messager just as easy. With a mike and web cam you get to see each other and you can send mail direct throught WLM so no need for emails.

Really good idea been wondering why GWs hasn't designed and launched some form of Warhammer to play over the net between 2 players. Suppose it not something they consider profitable.

Hvidponi
27-10-2007, 16:13
They main problem for GW would be a potential loss of miniature sale, as some would abbadon the normal and just play the online game...
However if they took money for armybook updates, and made the whole thing into an armybuilder and test engineŽof some sorts, I think they'll overall make money on it...

Master Vampire
28-10-2007, 13:08
Wow, i cant beleive this exists.

I was thinking of making a site like this but couldnt invest the time into it.

Anyone use this? looks very polished, but it doesnt support english very well.

No instruction manual either.

Is there a ruler or change "wheel pivot corner point" button?

I think there are some players, just don't know if they're on here.