PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Drop Pods?

Kadaan
24-10-2007, 21:30
Buddy of mine and me wanted to order over at forgeworld. Now he plays a Space Wolves force and finally wanted to get some drop pod models. The ones at forgeworld of course look very decent but are horrendously overpriced. Now I definitely remember that there was some other company that made affordable drop od plastic kits, just forgot where I saw this. Can any of you guys plz help me out? Where can I order those drop pods (whithout having to pay a month's salary on them)?

Kasonic
24-10-2007, 21:32
They're wooden.

http://www.thewarstore.com/product9157.html

fwacho
24-10-2007, 21:48
Or you can go to teh hardware store and buy a pvc 3"-4" connector and then a 3" cap.. glue them together and paint, then a walla a drop pod for about $5.

Kadaan
24-10-2007, 22:00
They're seriously wooden? What company with a right mind would make wooden miniatures? Have any of you guys bought one? What about the details? I seriously doubt that a wooden miniature would have much detail.

There is no other alternative? I'm pretty sure there was a plastic kit....

Andyalloverdaplace
24-10-2007, 22:47
I use the 3" pipe cap approach myself. Works great.

studderigdave
24-10-2007, 22:55
gatorade mix containers.

EVIL INC
25-10-2007, 00:27
I have seen the pvc pipe ones and they look great. I used that approach to make my bunkers.

GrimWulf
25-10-2007, 00:29
those troop landers aren't wooden.... at least i didn't think they were. afaik they're made from thick cardboard, like cereal boxes

edit: just looked it up, made from MDF.... hmm wasn't aware of that.

Bregalad
25-10-2007, 00:39
I thought that Space Wolves don't use drop pods?
Anyway, there are drop pod templates floating around, once even in WD. Or you can use other landers, e.g. VTOL flyers like the Valkyrie.

Ozendorph
25-10-2007, 00:41
I thought that Space Wolves don't use drop pods?
Anyway, there are drop pod templates floating around, once even in WD. Or you can use other landers, e.g. VTOL flyers like the Valkyrie.

I think the deal is they use drop pods, but choose not to teleport. Or something.

Bregalad
25-10-2007, 00:45
I just remembered this quote from a background thread on SW's army organization:

Fluffwise few vehicles, no pods or deepstriking. Infiltrating scouts hence them being elites that have their special rule for coming in behind. Long fangs as ranged support despite being very fragile. And a good mix of Blood Claws and Grey Slayers with a Lord and a few priests.

But you are right, the same thread then says, that they actually do use them.

chromedog
25-10-2007, 00:59
The miniaturescenery ones are wood, but not timber (wood). They are precision routed from 3mm mdf and MUST be sealed/primed and sanded back before painting (because mdf REALLY sucks up paint). If you don't do this, your paintjob will not be the best.

They don't have a lot of detail, but that's one of the bonuses (you can throw your extra gubbins on it yourself). They are also substantially cheaper than the FW ones (and I don't think the FW are pretty enough to justify the price. :D ).

If you want to do them on the cheap, en masse, then go with the pvc pipe option or foamboard/thick card or plasticard (from templates). These are your only options, really.
If you wish to use DP, you must represent them on the table (because they are vehicles and effect LOS).

LoneSniperSG
25-10-2007, 02:12
I just remembered this quote from a background thread on SW's army organization:

But you are right, the same thread then says, that they actually do use them.

.. Yes.. That's rather a staple of Wolves. Ragnar Blackmane's company uses them a lot.

From Shadows
25-10-2007, 02:23
Check these out :
http://www.minivault.com/ModelingDropPods.htm
Hope this helps.

Deadmanwade
25-10-2007, 15:00
I used old CD Spindles. They're about the right size for an opened drop pod. My opponents didnt complain and we were sensible about LOS and so forth. I didnt play in any tournaments though.
Plus, since they're large and flat, you can stand your troops on them so you know whats in them when you deepstrike.

Ozendorph
25-10-2007, 17:10
Check these out :
http://www.minivault.com/ModelingDropPods.htm
Hope this helps.

brb, going to Home Depot.