PDA

View Full Version : Good news for Chaos

RUSSADER
24-10-2007, 23:04
I don't know if any of you noticed this or not, the Army Builder developement team at www.AB40K.org notified me of this.

The land raider is now considered an option for the heavy slot but is also available as a transport for the terminators without taking up a heavy slot. I thought they did the rules wrong and they corrected me. http://www.ab40k.org/modules.php?name=Projects&op=PJReport&report_id=696

The down side is since these guys are the ultimate "rule Nazies" wheich they need to be, they brought up how you can no longer have a havoc launcher and a pintle mounted weapon because the havoc launcher is listed as a pintle mounted weapon.

So now you can no longer have a Havoc launcher and pintle weapon but you can have 6 land raiders in an army.

It's a different twist but it looks like IW lists might be back.

He who is doom
24-10-2007, 23:06
whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot

thank you
you made my day

Tulun
24-10-2007, 23:11
I suppose, but having to take Land Raiders as battle tanks isn't exactly the old IW army of death ;)

Out of curiousity, is the rule that they count as a scoring unit even if dedicated in the main rule book? I just noticed it missing from the entry.

RUSSADER
24-10-2007, 23:17
I suppose, but having to take Land Raiders as battle tanks isn't exactly the old IW army of death ;)
I sapose but running 3 landraiders and 9 obliterators definately would be a list we only saw from an IW army in the old book.

Out of curiousity, is the rule that they count as a scoring unit even if dedicated in the main rule book? I just noticed it missing from the entry.
???

Amnar
24-10-2007, 23:20
I sapose but running 3 landraiders and 9 obliterators definately would be a list we only saw from an IW army in the old book.

???

I love Land Raiders, but 3 in an army is useless unless it's a huge point battle. They're only useful if they're carrying something vicious, and if you're playing anything 2k points or less, you won't afford the sick cargo that makes Land Raiders anywhere close to worth their points.

Vaktathi
24-10-2007, 23:32

???

thats also almost 1300pts from only the land raiders and Oblits. the only way you could actually do that is at 2000pts with 3 min termi squads and 2 pretty minimized troop squads.

Tulun
24-10-2007, 23:32
???

Land Raiders, even dedicated ones, are scoring units, apparently. I just peaked at the Chaos entry, it wasn't there, so I'm curious if that generic rule is simply in the Main rulebook.

Tulun
24-10-2007, 23:37
thats also almost 1300pts from only the land raiders and Oblits. the only way you could actually do that is at 2000pts with 3 min termi squads and 2 pretty minimized troop squads.

The near obsolute minimum would be (I included Land raiders w/ possession, it would be really dumb to go without them ;) minus it if you want).

1905 points.

That's with 2 5 man troops with nothing, and a Chaos Lord with no upgrades (obviously, this is a bad idea), and min Terminators, then add the Oblits and Land Raiders.

So, even for a 2000 point army, it's incredibly awful.

Amnar
25-10-2007, 00:13
At least nobody can ever call cheese :-P

RUSSADER
25-10-2007, 06:26
I guess you're missing the point. If you were an IW player like myself who used landraiders or you were simply torn between which of the four or more heavies you own to use and one of them was a landraider, you can use them all.

Not saying to make such a thing as a 6 raider army, but if you termies, three other cheap heavies, and you have an extra 200 some odd points with a land raider, this is a perfict extra heavy slot or multiple extra heavy slots if playing big games without apoc rules.

It's just a way to slot your land raider(s) without worrying about loosing heavy slots.

TzeentchForPresident
25-10-2007, 07:30
Land Raiders, even dedicated ones, are scoring units, apparently. I just peaked at the Chaos entry, it wasn't there, so I'm curious if that generic rule is simply in the Main rulebook.

I think rule Nazis will say "since that Landraider isnīt taking up a FOC slot because it is a dedicated transport it will not be a scoring unit".

If it isnīt 100% clear that landraiders that are dedicated transports can score points I will be really careful to use one.

But it isnīt the force organization chart that stops people from taking several landraiders, it is the combo of high point cost+fear of common weapons such as meltaweapons, bright- / darklances etc. etc.

Ozendorph
25-10-2007, 07:42
Check the table in the BGB on page 85. Dedicated Transports never count as scoring units.

Dooks Dizzo
25-10-2007, 07:45
Bleh I ALWAYS take them as separate Heavy chocies. Paying all those points for a non scoring units seems silly to me.

Kveld-Ulf
25-10-2007, 07:57
I love Land Raiders, but 3 in an army is useless unless it's a huge point battle. They're only useful if they're carrying something vicious, and if you're playing anything 2k points or less, you won't afford the sick cargo that makes Land Raiders anywhere close to worth their points.

Which is why it's perfect for Apocalypse. Who needs Super-Heavies, throw enough Land Raiders at a problem and it's sure to go away.

leonmallett
25-10-2007, 08:33
I think rule Nazis will say "since that Landraider isnīt taking up a FOC slot because it is a dedicated transport it will not be a scoring unit".

If it isnīt 100% clear that landraiders that are dedicated transports can score points I will be really careful to use one.

But it isnīt the force organization chart that stops people from taking several landraiders, it is the combo of high point cost+fear of common weapons such as meltaweapons, bright- / darklances etc. etc.

In the case of a dedicated transport CSM Land Raider, it is not indicated as a scoring unit, however....

Check the table in the BGB on page 85. Dedicated Transports never count as scoring units.

...except in the case of Space Marines (C: SM) and Black Templars taking Land Raiders as dedicated transports (where permissable), which also count as scoring units (check the relevent pages in the respective codexes).

Calden
25-10-2007, 08:39
Yup, seems Loyalists are the only army that can take a dedicated transport, and have it count as a scoring unit. The Chaos Land Raider, when taken as a dedicated transport, is not a scoring unit sadly.

leonmallett
25-10-2007, 08:55
Yup, seems Loyalists are the only army that can take a dedicated transport, and have it count as a scoring unit. The Chaos Land Raider, when taken as a dedicated transport, is not a scoring unit sadly.

Not all loyalists have this option, mind you. DA/BA are a little different.

Calden
25-10-2007, 09:00
Not all loyalists have this option, mind you. DA/BA are a little different.

True enough, but then I don't think either of them get to take the Land Raider has a transport at all. I may however be mistaken.

jhon
25-10-2007, 09:10
humm... even so i dont think many of us will take 6 land raider in a game lass than 3000pts game , problem of land raider is very very hard to make its pts back ...

lord_blackfang
25-10-2007, 09:25
Thanks for pointing out what anyone with the Codex already knows.

Newsflash: The Chaos Land Raider was always a Transport Option for Termies. IW used to be able to take 7.

philbrad2
25-10-2007, 09:58
Everyone play nice and quit the sarcastic remarks please.

PhilB
:chrome:
+ WarSeer Mod Team +