PDA

View Full Version : Chapter Upgrade Boxes

Daniel36
25-10-2007, 11:38
Last night I was unable to sleep and I started thinking...

Back when the Black Templar were re-released, GW came up with an idea that I thought was genius. Along with the splash releases for the Black Templar, they released a little Black Templar Upgrade box. In it were bits to turn your regular Space Marines into a Black Templar Space Marines.

And I thought... Why oh why oh why isn't GW doing the same for all their other Chapters? Think about it? If you want to start an Imperial Fists army, it's all good enough to paint your Marines yellow, but wouldn't it be nicer if you also had shoulder pads with the Imperial Fists emblem on it? And your Rhino transport would look all the cooler with a huge Imperial Fists emblem on it too. Right?

So I started thinking. What should (or could) be on this upgrade sprue?

Well, here were some of my ideas;

- Rhino hatch with Chapter emblem on it
- 10 Space Marine shoulder pads with emblem
- Alternate squad leader head
- 5 Terminator shoulder pads with emblem
- 5 Force Shields with emblem
- Several smaller emblems to place on things such as Land Speeders, Dreadnoughts, tanks.

I guess more stuff would just make it slightly expensive, but wouldn't this be a great thing to have? To spice up your Space Marines to look even more like one of the famous chapters?

I guess if this thread gets enough positive response, who knows, maybe GW might even pick up on it. (I am sure there are some GW people rummaging around this site).

What do you guys think? I doubt I am the first person to come up with this idea.... But you know... Just wanted to know what you guys thought.

Purgator Sovereign
25-10-2007, 11:44
This is a good idea, although what you describe already exists in a way.

There are shoulder pad sets for many chapters, including Imperial Fists (I should know :) ), although they suck. Forge World makes incredible upgrade insignia for many chapters too, in the form of vehicle insignia, terminator shoulder pads, brass etched symbols for many chapters and also with some general imperial iconography (the eagle).

So you can get all these things you want seperately, and they will cost you a fortune.

ORKY ARD BOYZ
25-10-2007, 11:50
I think the main probelm is if they do this the players will probably demand a codex for that army, in no time, codex imperial fists, white scars, etc. will come out and flood the world which is already filled with enough marines to last a lifetime with even more marines. This is of course a good thing but this will make all the other races want codexes for clans/ craftworlds. Eventually they'll be more alternate codexes than 'real' codexes.

Daniel36
25-10-2007, 12:03
I know Forgeworld releases a lot of stuff, but like you point out, it will cost you a fortune. They did it for the Black Templar in plastic, why not for the other chapters.

I don't think people will start demanding a codex just because of some extra plastic. There are special characters for several of these non-codex chapters as well.

Purgator Sovereign
25-10-2007, 12:11
I don't think people will start demanding a codex just because of some extra plastic. There are special characters for several of these non-codex chapters as well.

That.

On topic, it's probably not very profitable for GW. BA, DA and BT are their major Space Marines products right now, people will buy the addons, but I don't think other chapters' upgrade sprues would sell that much.

Daniel36
25-10-2007, 12:46
Actually most of that stuff is splash release. If I am not mistaken the upgrade set and mayhaps the big box are the only things you can still order for the Black Templar. Blood Angels only have the (old) metal characters and some special boxes such as the Baal Predator, I think. Don't think the Dark Angels will be available much longer either.

That's why I thought it would be a rock on idea. And you KNOW yu want an Imperial Fist upgrade set, now don't you? ;)

OBISPUDKENOBI
25-10-2007, 15:09
this is already GW's plan , a person in the know told me they have already recut the space wolf upgrade sprues and will be doing the same for limp fists and blood angels.
this way they get to do a big marine release pretty much every year till they redo the main codex.

Brother Loki
25-10-2007, 17:31
Doing a fists pack seems to be the next logical step after covering the chapters with their own codexes, for the simple reason that it covers two popular chapters in one - Crimson Fists and Imperial Fists.

The thing is, without codex releases to whip up the new army fever, I don't think that sales would be high enough to justify a plastic kit - plastics need to sell a LOT to make their money back.

Destris
25-10-2007, 17:33
this is already GW's plan , a person in the know told me they have already recut the space wolf upgrade sprues and will be doing the same for limp fists and blood angels.
this way they get to do a big marine release pretty much every year till they redo the main codex.

:eyebrows:

Purgator Sovereign
25-10-2007, 18:57
That's why I thought it would be a rock on idea. And you KNOW yu want an Imperial Fist upgrade set, now don't you? ;)

You obviously know I do :P

Wyatt
25-10-2007, 19:08
Hmm, I wonder how much it'd cost to kit out a whole one of those apocalypse chapters with these upgrade sets. Say they are 15 each (like the Black Templars one is)... That does 2 squads and 1 vehicle. So... 9 vehicles, 9 packs. That's 135.

I know of several people doing Imperial Fists chapters with the apoc boxed set. So I'd say there'd be an alright business for them.

(Anyone else thinking what I'm thinking, a whole Black Templars chapter? ...no?)