PDA

View Full Version : ARE there any armies GW havent brought out yet but exist in the warhammer world?

nikkcookie
25-10-2007, 13:35
are there any armies out there that GW havnt brought out yet but exist in the warhammer world?:confused:

Eldarion
25-10-2007, 13:39
Army of Cathy? Guys who live in the caves in Naggaroth. Thier are tons!

In 40k thier loads of alien races in the novels, for example the templers fought a crystall/energy based race that could destroy terminator armour with ease.

Jo Bennett
25-10-2007, 13:39
Wrong forum to ask about the Warhammer world but Nippon and Cathay spring to mind, plus Estalia, Araby, Tileans other than DoW, Amazons.

nikkcookie
25-10-2007, 13:41
please explain about a nippon army.

t-tauri
25-10-2007, 13:41
This is so not suitable for 40k general. Please look where you are posting and check out the posting guidelines linked to in my signature.

T10
25-10-2007, 14:06
I think a Nippon army would be representative of the Nippon nation in the warhammer world. It would likely feature a mesh of historical and fantastic japanese traits: Samurai, Ninjas, Ashigaru are obvious troop types.

-T10

mistformsquirrel
25-10-2007, 22:54
A Nippon Army (in my view) would likely look similar to how Bretonnians are fantasized Knights -

That is; you'd get levies of Ashigaru troops with yari's - relatively poor Ld, medium stats...

Then you'd get your Samurai, who would be small in number, but particularly nasty. Possibly rather than a Lord riding a Dragon, they might even have a Lord that IS a Dragon - which could be cool.

For ranged weapons - bows would probably be the primary one; though I could see a Cannon or two in Rare slots.

The main thing to make a Nippon army interesting would be to really work up the mythos and do something beyond just saying "Here, have some historical Samurai! *kerplop*". Much as I love historical Samurai, it just wouldn't feel right. I think they could do it well though if they just keep the whole mythological aspect in mind; which is something GW has proven very able to do.

(They may not be original, but at least they rip off good material!)

Cap'n Facebeard
26-10-2007, 04:08
Chaos Dwarves are basically unrepresented; Ravening Hordes is so old most of the customers at my local GW probably couldn't even read when it came out.

eldrak
26-10-2007, 12:31
As for new projects, I still think we will make Chaos Dwarfs really exciting. OK, they’re not really new, but they’ve been gone for so long they would seem that way. That or the Fishmen, obviously, but there’s strong competition from everyone in the department to be lead writer on that baby.

Go Fishmen!

Bloodknight
26-10-2007, 12:43
The Hobgoblin Khanate. There are several DoW hobgoblin units and characters as well as the CD hobgoblin slaves, but the vast army they come from is not there yet.

Tarquinn
26-10-2007, 13:45
Albion and Norsca haven't been mentioned yet.

Edit: What about Kislev? Is it in the latest Empire book?

75hastings69
26-10-2007, 14:13
There are loads of races and armies in the fluff that don't have army lists/minis, this thread pops up every few months but I still enjoy it every time.

Here are some:-

Araby
Cathay
Nippon
Dragon Monks
Fimir (still exist is background fluff - isolated in some swamp - was mentioned in a WD not so long ago as Cyclopean Swamp Dwelling Daemons)
CD
Fishmen (or whatever name they choose) appear in one of the army books (maybe LM?) and are described as large eyed creatures that inhabit sunken LM temple cities and also under Naggaroth
Cat men of Ind
Monkey Men
Insect men (mentions in some fluff somewhere that they are the main enemies of Nippon - if anyone recalls this piece of fluff let me know where it is from so I can re-read it)
Amazons
Halflings/the Moot (had an uprising at one point so must have some kind of standing army)
Hobgoblins
White Orcs (mentioned on the map in the newest O&G army book - although whether this refers to a breed of Orc or an Orc Tribe is unclear)
Pygmies (I used to love these old characterful minis!) in fluff it is mentioned that one Pygmy took up residence in the Moot... so they are in the fluff.

Plus there are numerous other areas of the full WH world map that could lead to interesting expansions (i.e. Dragon Isles, Southern Wastes etc.)

Jedi152
26-10-2007, 14:14
Right then:

Human realms:
Marienburg Army (probably the same as an Empire army, but they are a different city state)
Tilea,
Estalia,
Border Princes,
Araby,
Southlands,
Albion,
Kislev,
Amazons,
Norse.

Others/unknown:
Cathay,
Nippon,
Ind,
Hinterlands of Khuresh,
Steppes,
Chaos Dwarfs,
Pygmies.

And i know i've missed tons at that.

ZeroTwentythree
26-10-2007, 14:21
For ranged weapons - bows would probably be the primary one; though I could see a Cannon or two in Rare slots.

The main thing to make a Nippon army interesting would be to really work up the mythos and do something beyond just saying "Here, have some historical Samurai! *kerplop*". Much as I love historical Samurai, it just wouldn't feel right. I think they could do it well though if they just keep the whole mythological aspect in mind; which is something GW has proven very able to do.

Nippon used to be in the game, at least as an allied list (kind of like Kislev, more recently). They had rocket launchers, "kamikazi" (with barrels of gunpowder strapped to their back - they ran at enemy units like an exploding fanatic), ki-rin, temple dogs... Using history as a basis, you could add monks, samurai on foot and handgunners to the list.

I'm not sure they'd have to end up like Bretonnia at all. Beside that, I'm not sure why people are so hung up on the fact that no two armies can have remotely similar style of play/troop choices.

Japanese mythology and historical legends are as ripe for use in fantasy gaming as any of the western European stuff the game is largely based on, plus since it's a fantasy game, new additions can be made. Clan Wars did a pretty good job of making a really great Japanese themed game, IMHO. (And some beautiful figures, too.)

As for other armies, can I be the freak who has to mention Fimir (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fimir) and Zoats (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoat) missing from the current lineup? :evilgrin:

Art Is Resistance
26-10-2007, 14:32
For fantasy Nippon I always look back at the 1st ed. Oriental Adventures setting for AD&D (funnily enough, I bought the book from a GW store...) Which had stats for pretty much all the mythological races within Japanese / Chinese folklore - some with names my 13yr old self had no chance of pronouncing (come to think of it neither does my 32yr old self)!

Also, didn't GW drop the idea of Fishmen because they were too close (in theme) to the Deep Ones in Call Of Cthulhu? The Fimir I would love to see back - could easily be the 'western' mutated cousins of the Ogre Kingdoms.

Jedi152
26-10-2007, 14:48
Mention of fishmen (of a sort) appeared in a WD article on sacred spawning Lizardmen. It claimed that groups of lizardmen spawned with marks of Tzunki lived in underwater cities and has gills and fins.

Muncher666
26-10-2007, 14:50
As for new projects, I still think we will make Chaos Dwarfs really exciting. OK, they’re not really new, but they’ve been gone for so long they would seem that way. That or the Fishmen, obviously, but there’s strong competition from everyone in the department to be lead writer on that baby.

Where'd that come from? Never saw this before.

Allan.

Gorbad Ironclaw
26-10-2007, 15:13
Fishmen is this inside joke that just keeps going on and on, it's evens still somewhat funny :p

It's been used at various times to either tell people when they asked what would come after X or as a stand in name for a project not yet decided on. (I think).

Cycorax
26-10-2007, 15:39
Pygmies (I used to love these old characterful minis!) in fluff it is mentioned that one Pygmy took up residence in the Moot... so they are in the fluff.

Hehe, funny little bit of useless fluff it is, from the Lizardmen AB.

"Lord Melchin returns to the imperial court after spending a year exploring Lustria. He is accompanied by a copper-skinned, hairless being, barely three feet tall. Melchin claimed he came from the Wayarhui tribe, a race of diminutive people found in the jungles. Reportedly, the creature eats a high-ranking court official and flees. Rumours abound of his hiding out in The Moot."

:D gotta love it! ^_^

A neutral shade of black.
26-10-2007, 15:57
Also, didn't GW drop the idea of Fishmen because they were too close (in theme) to the Deep Ones in Call Of Cthulhu? The Fimir I would love to see back - could easily be the 'western' mutated cousins of the Ogre Kingdoms.

They are the Deep Ones. That's the joke. They were never serious; they're just the default answer to "what's the next entirely new army you'll be introducing?"-type questions, exactly like soon™ in the video gaming industry.

mav1971
26-10-2007, 16:43
They had army lists for Norsca, Kislev and Halflings in old issues of the Citadel Journal. I think they were more experimental armies and not official.

Sephtar II
26-10-2007, 16:47
The fish men did get in the Lustria realms book, so I can still dream:D!

They kinda did do albion as you can still use truth-sayers, Fen beasts etc. as DOW units.

Other wise yeah Cathay, Nippon, Ind, Tilea, Estilea, CD.

Also I have always wondered what the high elves that live in all of their 'colonies' are like (The tower of the sun, the lost isles of Elithis, Tor Elasor and such).

Eldarion
26-10-2007, 17:26
Let not forget the grey elves; they are the high elves that dwell in forgoten colonies and citys. I remember in a white dwarf daid that thier was a hidden city within the empire that can only be seen when the sun hits it. Pretty cool huh?

A neutral shade of black.
26-10-2007, 17:28
Let not forget the grey elves; they are the high elves that dwell in forgoten colonies and citys.

And they're nowhere near capable of fielding an army.

superknijn
26-10-2007, 17:31
Perhaps their main ability would be to summon Greys, and bombard the enemy with UFO's? You know, like those tree-bringing wood elves.

eldrak
27-10-2007, 12:13
Where'd that come from? Never saw this before.

Allan.
It's from a very recent interview with him for a new national Swedish GW forum.

Corrupt
27-10-2007, 13:35
And they're nowhere near capable of fielding an army.

Says who? Maybe they just choose not to. Myabe they just arnt mentioned because they are indistinguishable from wood or high elf troops
My HE aren't from Ulthuan I can tell you that. While Tor Elasor(mine) may be well known, there are plently of lesser/lost colonies to raise an army from and nothing to stop you

huron
03-11-2007, 19:31
amazons
norse
chaos dwarfs
ind
cathay
araby
amazon
one eye goblins
mere goblins
Tilea,
Estalia,
Border Princes,
Araby,
Southlands,
Albion,
Nippon,
Hinterlands of Khuresh,
Steppes,
Chaos Dwarfs,
Pygmies.
the moot

Ethlorien
03-11-2007, 23:41
I would love a Moot army! It could be like Kislev (though they are part of the Empire and not just an ally); you don't field an entire army, but rather a few units of halflings in your Empire army. Now that would be a neat army to see, Empire and Kislev and Halfling united!
But, well, I guess that what's Lumpin's Fighting Cocks are for. And that cook pot thing... Well, I stand by a Moot Army: Farmers, Pig Riders, Hunters, Woodsmen, Militia, Sherifs for Heroes, Mayors for Lords. Wow, could it sound any more COMPLETELY AWESOME?

mistformsquirrel
04-11-2007, 00:48
I would love a Moot army! It could be like Kislev (though they are part of the Empire and not just an ally); you don't field an entire army, but rather a few units of halflings in your Empire army. Now that would be a neat army to see, Empire and Kislev and Halfling united!
But, well, I guess that what's Lumpin's Fighting Cocks are for. And that cook pot thing... Well, I stand by a Moot Army: Farmers, Pig Riders, Hunters, Woodsmen, Militia, Sherifs for Heroes, Mayors for Lords. Wow, could it sound any more completely awesome?

Fixed that for ya >.>

Ethlorien
04-11-2007, 01:23
Fixed that for ya >.>

Thank you, sir. I apologize, sir. Please don't discipline me, sir.

I meant only lame . . . up until you field a unit of Halfling Codgers! -1 to hit due to the pall of smoke hanging over them from their pipes. Cause Fear when frowning.

Thurizdan
04-11-2007, 02:30
Insect men (mentions in some fluff somewhere that they are the main enemies of Nippon - if anyone recalls this piece of fluff let me know where it is from so I can re-read it)

Er, perhaps you're confuseing this with the Tsurani Empire trilogy by Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurts? That had samurai(ish) guys fighting ant-men things.

Pete278
04-11-2007, 03:12
Am I the only person who thinks that a Fishman army would actually be awesome, if they can get around the "oh noez deep onez" thing?

Slacker
04-11-2007, 04:26
Thank you, sir. I apologize, sir. Please don't discipline me, sir.

I meant only lame . . . up until you field a unit of Halfling Codgers! -1 to hit due to the pall of smoke hanging over them from their pipes. Cause Fear when frowning.

I actually have a couple of units of halfling archers I use as regular archers in my Empire army.

It amuses me. :D

I'd really like to see Chaos Dwarves...after that, some of the exotic east. Another human army, maybe, and then some sort of eastern adversary to fill in a bit of the map between Cathay and the Ogres.

cyrus
04-11-2007, 14:33
-zoats
-half orcs

kettan
04-11-2007, 15:00
Well, you can already have some Halflings in your empire army, just use the current DoW rules.
2 of armies for Warmaster havent made it into Warhammer yet, but at least we can see what kind of troops they have (Kislev and Araby)
It is kinda funny to hear about Fimir, since I still have my Hero Quest Fimir :D

For the current fluff, I would love to see armies from Kislev, Araby, Estalia, Chaos Dwarves and maybe Hobgoblins. Since these races live closest to the Old World. The rest would fit in great as DoW :)

cyrus
04-11-2007, 15:12
troglodytes: http://www.solegends.com/citc/c24troglodytes.htm

snakemen: http://www.solegends.com/citc/c27snakemen.htm

gnomes: http://www.solegends.com/citc/c11gnomes.htm

prince_dios
04-11-2007, 16:48
Araby, Nippon, Cathay.

The use of these names seem very... slothful. I doubt they'll get armies. Fine by me, I like things to concentrate around the Old World, personally.