PDA

View Full Version : House Rule Idea

Galadrin
25-10-2007, 13:25
Here's a house rule I've been kicking around and considering using at my club. Basically the idea is that games of Warhammer can get lopsided really fast, due entirely to the very random nature of the game. You could spend 450 points on a thick unit of Black Orcs, only to fail a single leadership test when a Wraith strolls up and see the entire unit flee right off the table. For what is otherwise a very predictable and controllable game, the leadership test can throw everything on its head instantly. Now I like this randomness, don't get me wrong, but about one in every three games, either me or my opponent is on the receiving end of a long string of "bad luck" leadership tests, making a game that takes 2 hours to play incredibly not fun for the poor victim.

So here is my idea. The randomness stays, but you get a nice little benny to crawl your way back to the top if the dice gods have forsaken you. Here's the house rule:

Whenever an important unit (a unit worth at least 20% of your total force) fails a leadership test that causes the unit to flee (and is not voluntarily fleeing), and whenever one of your heroes dies or your wizards miscast a spell, you gain one mulligan. A mulligan may be spent during the game to reroll an entire handful of dice from one source (including anything from a break test to an entire unit's "to Hit" roll). The second set of results must be kept, even if it is worse. Mulligans don't stack (so you can only have one at a time) and you can't use a mulligan on the dice roll that earns you a mulligan (unless you spend a mulligan from before).

We play 1,500 point games, so this means units of 300 pts or greater (generally one or two in an entire army), and any hero. What do you think?

Galadrin
25-10-2007, 13:29
Note, we don't play that competitively... obviously you could do some broken things with this house rule (like use the exploding Goblin hero to earn a free Setback point), but I doubt anyone in my club would exploit such ideas.

Tutore
25-10-2007, 13:57
Fun, but hey, here's my opinion: in a 1500 points game you shouldn't spend 300 points in one unit! If you do, it's at your own risk. Even playing High Elves, I never spend 300 points in one unit, even at 2000 points!

Galadrin
25-10-2007, 14:15
True, I rarely spend much on a single unit, but that's mostly because I'm afraid of fumbling leadership rolls!

SkawtheFalconer
25-10-2007, 14:33
That's not a bad idea. When we used to play very small games in the shop, we used to have a rule whereby any unit fleeing the table was allowed one last chance to rally (essentially two leadership tests in the phase that they would flee the table). I believe it was first introduced because we were playing a stupid clifftop based scenario (!), but we ended up inducting it into our matches.

T10
25-10-2007, 15:15
We play 1,500 point games, so this means units of 300 pts or greater (generally one or two in an entire army), and any hero. What do you think?

While I like the idea of getting the underdog back into the game... I don't know. A mulligan sounds a bitt little too late.

It sounds as if you have a fairly relaxed attitude to the game. Do you play with victory points? If you do, then here's a suggestion:

Once per game you can recycle a lost unit! This unit can be a character, regiment, monster or whatever. For example, if a unit with a character in it is destroyed you can elect to recycle the character or the unit. If a character riding a monster or chariot is lost, you can recycle both the character and the monster/chariot.

At the start of your any of your turns you can recycle one unit that has been destroyed or that is currently fleeing (remove the unit from the game). You can bring it into play in the remaining moves phase of that turn, moving the unit onto the table at any point of your choice (as if the unit is returning after having pursued off the table), but your opponent gets to chose the table edge.

The unit returns as it originally were, but with only half its total wounds remaining (rounding down). A regiment would typically be reduced in size to about half it's original models, a monster or chariot would have half it's wounds remaining, a character on a monster mount would have to decide how to distribute the lost wounds.

The recycled unit is identically equipped, but it is not the same unit. Any randomly determined factors need to be re-assigned, such as spells. A recycled character will assume the functions of the original, serving as General or BSB, or halting the crumbling of an Undead army...

Regardless, your opponent will count as having destroyed the recycled unit, earning him the twice the full VPs (remember to double the bonus for killing the General or capturing the BSB if they are recycled). He gains no further VPs for killing off the fresh unit.

-T10

theunwantedbeing
25-10-2007, 17:08
The main problem with that is that once you fail it, generally its too late.
You dont tend to fail 2 big things in a game,just the 1 and then you lose lol.

One idea could be to adopt less of an "eggs all in one basket" approach to the game.

Von Wibble
25-10-2007, 17:23
The lucky seven rule used in some WD battle reports seems better.

Basically, you can (before rolling the dice) decide that one LD check (per game) of any description will come up as a 7. Don't roll, its a seven! Simple. Stops failing a Ld10 stubborn check or having your carefully positioned (and in range of general) countercharge failing to do so due to fear from costing you too badly.

As to the recycle idea - seeing Archaeon and his unit of chosen chaos knights come back after killing them through some brilliant ploy (what do you mean, fluke??!) is not something I'd ever want to do.

kris.sherriff
26-10-2007, 00:37
The lucky seven rule used in some WD battle reports seems better.

Basically, you can (before rolling the dice) decide that one LD check (per game) of any description will come up as a 7. Don't roll, its a seven! Simple. Stops failing a Ld10 stubborn check or having your carefully positioned (and in range of general) countercharge failing to do so due to fear from costing you too badly.

This Idea I really like actually.

As to the recycle idea - seeing Archaeon and his unit of chosen chaos knights come back after killing them through some brilliant ploy (what do you mean, fluke??!) is not something I'd ever want to do.

This I would like to see (as long as I was only watching the game as I would find it quite amusing:D)

Alathir
26-10-2007, 02:24
I have enough trouble killing my opponents Chaos Lords, Orc Warbosses, Dwarf Lords and Vampire Lords without them re-rolling their failed ward saves etc or seeing off Chosen Knights or Ironbreakers without them re-rolling break tests.

So, no thanks.

Galadrin
26-10-2007, 12:57
Well they only get one reroll and only if you just recently dealt them a stunning blow. Dwarfs and Vampire Counts are less likely to get the mulligan, since Dwarfs don't miscast and Vampire Counts don't flee. It's just an idea to keep the game tilting back and forth. I've also played around with the idea that there is only ONE mulligan token, and if you earn a mulligan you actually steal it from your opponent (if he has it). Use it or lose it!

brettz123
30-10-2007, 18:56
The problem with doing this is that it pretty much makes it impossible to break some units. Not exactly fair to the other player.

The downside of taking those high point killer units is exactly that you might fail a leadership test and see them run off. If I know that my 400 point unit of black orcs with hero is going to be able to reroll a failed test I can play it differently then I normally would.

It just seems that if you are going to run an uber unit then you should take the downside with the upside.

huitzilopochtli
30-10-2007, 19:57
Fun, but hey, here's my opinion: in a 1500 points game you shouldn't spend 300 points in one unit! If you do, it's at your own risk. Even playing High Elves, I never spend 300 points in one unit, even at 2000 points!

hmm... dont know how you manage with that. i usually take a unit worth about 900 in 2k games. of course that's a slann in a large unit of saurus with two spawnings but meh, it pays off.

Crube
30-10-2007, 20:22
And to think I think twice about a unit of 450 points on 2K....

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
31-10-2007, 13:44
hmm, I find this rule very interesting and worth a try
test it out and see how it works.
sounds resonably fair to me. though I dont see why you can't stack them up

BTW, dont mean to sound stupid, but is mulligan a word? and what does it mean?

Masque
31-10-2007, 15:08
A 'mulligan' is basically a 'do over'. It's a golf term. And a M:tG term.