PDA

View Full Version : 2500 point mercenaries

Sir_Lunchalot
26-10-2007, 01:53
I'm seriously thinking about starting yet another warhammer army, I like the idea of large masses of infantry. Dogs of War seem to do that excellently. What do you guys think of this list?

LORDS

Mercenary General with heavy armor, shield, warhorse, barding, lance,
126 pts

HEROES

Sk’Adee
Hireling wizard with 2 dispel scrolls, lore of beasts
110 pts

Paymaster with heavy armor, enchanted shield, Brace of pistols
83 pts

Mercenary Captain with great weapon, crossbow, heavy armor
68 pts

CORE

Crossbowmen
10 crossbowmen
80 pts

Crossbowmen
10 crossbowmen
80 pts

PIRATES
5 duelists with pistols
45 pts

PIRATES
5 duelists with pistols
45 pts

PIRATES
5 duelists with pistols
45 pts

PIRATES
5 duelists with pistols
45 pts

Heavy Cavalry
6 heavy cavalry with barding and full command
171 pts

Pirazzo’s Lost Legion (deployed in 4 ranks of 7)
Base block of 10 with 2 more front rankers and 16 more rear rankers
338 pts

Volands Venators
Base unit of 5 with 2 additional models

Ricco’s Republican Guard (deployed in 4 ranks of 7)
Base unit of 10 with 18 more models
396 pts

SPECIAL

The Cursed Company
Base unit of 10 with 15 more models
455 pts

RARE

Cannon
85 pts

Cannon
85 pts

TOTAL: 2500 pts

The plan is to deploy the army in a wedge formation, with the Cursed company front and centre. each unit will be deployed behind the unit that is closer to the centre of my lines. on one flank I'll have Pirazzo's lost legion, then a block of crossbowmen with the paymaster and Sk'Adee in it, then the heavy cavalry with my general. the other flank (again, inside out order) will have a block of crossbows with my captain in it, then Ricco's Republican guard, then Voland's Venators. the Cannon will go either on a hill behind my lines, or in various breaks in my lines if there's no usable hill. the pirates will be put in front of the army and used as throw away units to pull enemy units out of the battle line with suicide charges, or to attempt to assassinate wizards in the front rank.

Whaddaya guys think?

BigRob
26-10-2007, 06:04
Hello,

You've got alot of very expensive ROR and The Cursed company especially is a big points sink, I know they rock, but they cost so much! You might be better off replacing them. If you want a solid central anchor,I'd stick with the pikemen or Dwarves. They might be pricey kitted out but you can have HA,Shield, Xbow for a very tough unit that shoots and splats stuff.

You've got two big chunky pike blocks and two smaller units of crossbows, so thats about normal. I'd mix the duellists into two big units of 10, both for effectiveness and so they dont get splattered (otherwise 1 basic magic missile doing D6 hits or a round of shooting and they are gone.) Duellists are for flanking/harrassing, if your after baiters or assassins, Light cavalry with spears are fantastic.

The wedge sounds daring, just beware of fast movers breaking your center and flanking the units behind. Not sure how much sense in putting your heroes in the X-Bow units, my paymaster likes to huddle in with his guard (again, surprisingly tough) and captains either in a pike block, the cavalry or on a pegasus to go warmachine hunting, but thats just me.

Finally have you considered Ogres? Lead belchers in units of 2 or 3 make fast effective flankers that will rip up enemy light cavalry and skirmishers.

Have fun

Red_Lep
26-10-2007, 13:02
Duelists have a minimum number of 8+ so you have to combine them.

Sir_Lunchalot
26-10-2007, 17:39
I reworked the army last night, will post if I'm able to at home (no internet) I replaced both units of cavalry with blocks of 4 ironguts, each with a champion. The characters have been switched up to include a general with Heavy armor, shield, and a brace of pistols, a paymaster with HA, shield, maybe a weapon, and a pair of level 2 wizards each with a scroll and lore of beasts.

The plan is to throw the characters in the crossbowmen so I can use them as a combat unit if need be. The reason I've got the cursed company in the middle is because they are undead in addition to their gear. the 4+save to the front in combat, 5+ to the side means they're moderately tough for human... ish troops. The plan is to try to get the enemy to flank the cursed company. being undead, they're not going to break, and hopefully can avoid getting destroyed in one round (obviously I'll be using my pirates to try and influence the enemy's charges) once they've been flanked, I can use the other parts of my wedge to flank the flankers. Another reason for using the cursed company - their ability to regenerate their number makes them even better at being the point of the wedge. This is part of the reason for the characters in the crossbows. instead of a bunch of WS3 S3 single attack humans I get that, plus the support of a pair of characters, and because the wizards use Lore of Beasts, they can be used as combat characters or if need be to boost my already decent fighty characters.

One of the reasons why I'm using the DoW pikemen is for their unique abilities. In both cases, they give me a cheap fighty hero in the front rank. with Ricco's Republican Guard, WS4 pikemen with heavy armor for a pittance more than regular pikemen, heck yeah. and as for Pirazzo's lost legion, the presence mix of crossbows and pikes is a unique combination. I can shoot, then shoot, then stand and shoot and strike first with the pikes.

And, assuming my maths are correct, the cost isn't that prohibitive. If I multiply the cost of the regular troopers by the number of troopers in the base unit, I basically get the hero for cheaper than normal in addition to a free command. now combine that with the ability to actually have more hero level characters than is normally allowed, and I think that's a pretty good deal.

edit: I still gotta do something about fixing the duelists unit size. will fix before posting the updated list.