PDA

View Full Version : Russian bands?

Icewalker
07-09-2005, 19:27
As some of you know, I like foreign music bands. Only until recently did I realize I have no Russian bands in my archives. Can someone give me names of REALLY good Russian music groups? Also, what genres do they do well at and which ones do they suck at?

Inflammable
07-09-2005, 19:41
I saw Tarakany live with Marky Ramone, they were pretty ok. Punk band.

Kohhna
07-09-2005, 23:05
Tatu!!! ...........

Makaber
07-09-2005, 23:20
I'm partial to Nautilus Pompilius, a quirky road band playing rockabillie on what sounds like a cheap Casiko electric keyboard.

wanderingblade
08-09-2005, 11:56
Wolfangel are a fairly decent folk metal band, Everlost are a good melodic death metal band. If you don't like metal... sorry :p

Thud
08-09-2005, 12:03
The Red Army Choir. :cool:

And, as Kohnna said, Tatu! :)

spawn
08-09-2005, 13:16
I know a couple.. but they are not what you would call "mainstream"
Both fit into the Psychobilly (really fast r'n'r) music genre.

1. the MadHeads (from the Ukraine). http://www.madheads.kiev.ua/english/
Ihmo very good band, good lyrics and good guys (I set up some gigs for them once). They even have video clips and tv appearances. Recently, their sound is a bit like "the living end" from Australia (punk with doublebass)

2. Meantraitors (moscow). Seen them once but I'm not to keen on them. very very very fast, to a point where everything almost sounds the same.

On a whole, most russian bands only aim at russian crowds, so we can't understand what they are singing about.

I have a sampler cd at home (now at work) with some more russian punk/rockabilly bands. I'll try and post some more names.

Warhammer_freak
08-09-2005, 14:09
I'm also in russian bands... But 1 in perticular.

While I was in russia me and a mate just so happened to catch some of some metal russian band on the hotel TV. We never found out who it was and its been bugging me since (several years ago).

Was some guy in a cemetary with big boots on (like the bad guy out of 1 of the Highlander films). Thats all i remember lol.

Other than that Tatu is the only way to go :P

Sir_Turalyon
08-09-2005, 15:15
Second the Red Army Choir choice :)...

I'm impressed by Leningrad; they are far from my favorite music, but they proved to me that hiphop can be well alive (not just rhymed, rythmic, apathic mumbling under nose). But i doubt it would be much interesting if you dont understand lyrics at all...

Hywel
08-09-2005, 15:29
Forest Stream are top class doom metal. Only one album so far, they've been promising a second for ages... You can find them on the earache website.

Icewalker
09-09-2005, 10:35
The Red Army Choir is a Choir group from the 1940's to 1980's from the soviets right?