PDA

View Full Version : Inter-Legion war's?

Deathwing_Learn
26-10-2007, 12:01
Ok after reading the Vengeful Spirit forum i was wondering what people mean by the inter-legion wars. Im assuming its in-fighting between the chaos legions but i was wondering if anyone had any specifics on the matter? Maybe a couple of references. I did a search but got nothing...

Nazguire
26-10-2007, 12:35
Ok after reading the Vengeful Spirit forum i was wondering what people mean by the inter-legion wars. Im assuming its in-fighting between the chaos legions but i was wondering if anyone had any specifics on the matter? Maybe a couple of references. I did a search but got nothing...

Battles such as the Battle of Skalathrax, the taking of the Warmaster's Body, retrieving the Warmaster's body (and subsequently burning it), are all part of the Inter-legion wars.

I think pretty much that it was the traitor Legions battling each other for the prime territory within the Eye and around it.

Gdolkin
26-10-2007, 12:35
The World Eaters and the Emperor's Children tore eachother up on Skalathrax, that was where Kharn earned himself the name Betrayer. The Black Legion also attacked the EC to destroy Horus's body which the EC had nicked and were trying to clone.. that's all i got..

Vaulkhar
26-10-2007, 12:40
Basically once the Traitor Legions got to the Eye, they started blaming each other for why the Heresy had failed and fell out in spectacular fashion. Combine that with the fact that they were all fighting to carve out domains in the Eye and you have the recipe for a massive amount of infighting.

It was 400 yeas before the first Black Crusade was launched...

Leftenant Gashrog
26-10-2007, 12:46
Adeptus Titanicus (definately) and the Realms of Chaos books (I believe) referred to the Horus Heresy as the First Inter-Legionary War.

heretics bane
26-10-2007, 12:47
In the eye theres scarce resources so naturally all the legions started vieing for control of the worlds and resources wich lead to the wars.

The battle of Skalathrax spilt the world eaters in to roving warbands and earned carn the title betrayer.

The EC stole the warmasters body and made colnes of it but the black legion(then still sons of horus) turned up and burned the place down along with horus body and subsiquent clones.

Luthien
26-10-2007, 12:48
The EC had a rough time all told, poor little fellas :D

Nazguire
26-10-2007, 12:49
The EC had a rough time all told, poor little fellas :D

I'd be me more inclined to say the World Eaters had the worst time.

The Legion that was decimated the most during the Heresy, which was only sticking together as a cohesive force through a thin string due to their Khornate worship, was torn apart irrevocably by one of their own number, their most powerful champion.

Luthien
26-10-2007, 12:54
Good point actually, but both legions are split aren't they, I imagine however that EC are more numerous than WE as they tend not to senselessly kill each other, well not as much

Nazguire
26-10-2007, 12:59
Good point actually, but both legions are split aren't they, I imagine however that EC are more numerous than WE as they tend not to senselessly kill each other, well not as much

Well seeming as the Emperor's Children didn't get mauled as much during the Heresy (hardly took part in the Siege of Terra which is what shredded the Legions) and that the World Eaters were below half strength before the Siege of Terra, I'd say yeah, the Emperor's Kids are far more numerous then the World Eaters.

pookie
26-10-2007, 13:10
i would suppose the first known ( at this time ) inter Legion War would be at Istvann III. ( although if as hinted we are going to learn more about the missing Legions a Inter Legion war may have occured before Istvan III)

there is also things like Kharn earning the name betreyer, Ahriman being exhiled, Typhus leaveing the DG and forging on himself, all these are part of bigger things but are all in effect Inter Legion Wars.

Daemonslave
26-10-2007, 13:13
Actually the Sons of Horus/Black Legion had the worst of it. All of the other Legions blamed them for starting the Heresy, resulting in them being stuck in the Eye. Each took its turn to attack the Sons of Horus, eventually resulting in the decimation of the Legion. During this time, Horus' body was stolen and cloned and they were in a hell of a state. Furious with what was happening, Abaddon denounced the name of Horus and got the remainder of the Legion to paint their armour black as a sign of their shame.

He led his Legion to the cloning laboratories and destroyed the cpoies of the Warmaster and gradually began to rebuild his Legion. Eventually, Abaddon and his Legion become feared and respected by the other Legions and the attacks lessened.

Formarion
26-10-2007, 13:16
Well seeming as the Emperor's Children didn't get mauled as much during the Heresy (hardly took part in the Siege of Terra which is what shredded the Legions) and that the World Eaters were below half strength before the Siege of Terra, I'd say yeah, the Emperor's Kids are far more numerous then the World Eaters.

But remember the EC suffered terrible casualties against the Laer even before the Heresy began. Not got a definite number on hand but it was a sizeable chunk of several of their companies. Then there is the gladitorial combats that Fulgrim added in to gain perfection, plus the possible losses from Fabius Biles experiments...then of course the Istvaan III and V incidents, severely weakened the EC.

Tegian
26-10-2007, 13:17
The Emperor's Children got pretty roughed up post-heresy as they needed a constant supply of slaves to feed their perversions and they took up raiding their (former) brother legions which wasnt overly popular ....

Nazguire
26-10-2007, 13:29
But remember the EC suffered terrible casualties against the Laer even before the Heresy began. Not got a definite number on hand but it was a sizeable chunk of several of their companies. Then there is the gladitorial combats that Fulgrim added in to gain perfection, plus the possible losses from Fabius Biles experiments...then of course the Istvaan III and V incidents, severely weakened the EC.

It was six hundred dead and twice that (or three times that) wounded from the IA.

The Emperor's Children certainly did not have as many casualties taken as some of the other Legions, like the World Eaters during the Heresy or Sons of Horus post heresy. Id say apart from the Skalathrax incident and Horus Clone Wars (?) they got off fairly lightly in comparison to the World Eaters, Sons of Horus and in some aspects the Iron Warriors (who generally, instead of fleeing, just sat in their castles and said "Come Get Some" *The Rock pose*)

pookie
26-10-2007, 13:39
It was six hundred dead and twice that (or three times that) wounded from the IA.

The Emperor's Children certainly did not have as many casualties taken as some of the other Legions, like the World Eaters during the Heresy or Sons of Horus post heresy. Id say apart from the Skalathrax incident and Horus Clone Wars (?) they got off fairly lightly in comparison to the World Eaters, Sons of Horus and in some aspects the Iron Warriors (who generally, instead of fleeing, just sat in their castles and said "Come Get Some" *The Rock pose*)

remmeber tho that the EC were one of the smallest legions tho, so although the casulatys mentioned, may seem small, they could actually be quite a large percentage. were they not only 300 strong when Fulgrim was ofound and joined his legion?

Nazguire
26-10-2007, 14:05
remmeber tho that the EC were one of the smallest legions tho, so although the casulatys mentioned, may seem small, they could actually be quite a large percentage. were they not only 300 strong when Fulgrim was ofound and joined his legion?

Then two hundred years of constant recruitment from Chemos and Terra got them to full Legion strength. It says in Fulgrim that the Legion swelled with recruits. And considering how good the Emperor's Children actually were (they were the best, no doubt about it after reading Fulgrim and Galaxy in Flames) I wouldnt be surprised if the casualties on otherr campaigns that were considered high to their Legion, were considered low in another larger one.

malika
27-10-2007, 12:54
Adeptus Titanicus (definately) and the Realms of Chaos books (I believe) referred to the Horus Heresy as the First Inter-Legionary War.

Was there even such a thing as a "Horus Heresy" back then? IIRC it was the time when Leman Russ was a mere Marine commander instead of a Primarch, all the Space Marines were in Legions. It wasnt until later that we got a clear picture of Heresy, formation of Chapters and so on and so on.

Daemonslave
27-10-2007, 13:52
Was there even such a thing as a "Horus Heresy" back then? IIRC it was the time when Leman Russ was a mere Marine commander instead of a Primarch, all the Space Marines were in Legions. It wasnt until later that we got a clear picture of Heresy, formation of Chapters and so on and so on.

The Lost and the Damned has it in detail, but there is no mention of it in Slaves to Darkness.

FlashGordon
27-10-2007, 14:02
We should refer the Inter-chaoslegion-wars as the "Horus Clone wars".

ArtificerArmour
27-10-2007, 14:25
Actually, the worst chaos warband was the black legion. They basically got a kicking from every other legion, they split into different cults, and even the powers of chaos hated them for constantly making and breaking pacts with the other daemonic powers (re: IA BL).
They were in a right state until Abaddon gave them the kick up the backside they needed.

And I pretty much repeated what Daemonslave said, but it's true :p

malika
27-10-2007, 14:39
The Lost and the Damned has it in detail, but there is no mention of it in Slaves to Darkness.

Im mixing it up with Rogue Trader then. :)

Leftenant Gashrog
27-10-2007, 15:56
Was there even such a thing as a "Horus Heresy" back then?

Yes, Adeptus Titanicus was set during the Horus Heresy, the term Inter-Legionary War was only used once in the entire book, whilst the term Horus Heresy was used frequently throughout, there was no mention made of primarchs or the size of pre-heresy chapters* but then it was focused on Titans. AT's companion game Space Marine however fleshed out the Horus Heresy a fair bit complete with Primarchs and 'Legions*'.

* they were legion sized, but they werent called legions: "at the time of the Horus Heresy Space Marine Chapters were far larger than the smaller chapters formed from their battered remanants after the Heresy"

ArtificerArmour
27-10-2007, 16:04
History is written by the victors - who happen to be lonely, scared humans who only had the Word of the Emperor and the fledging imperial cult to turn to.

Green-is-best
27-10-2007, 17:16
We should refer the Inter-chaoslegion-wars as the "Horus Clone wars".

"You got your Star Wars in my Warhammer!"

Daemonslave
27-10-2007, 23:04
* they were legion sized, but they werent called legions: "at the time of the Horus Heresy Space Marine Chapters were far larger than the smaller chapters formed from their battered remanants after the Heresy"

Sorry to be pedantic, but the Legions were first founding Chapters, so the quote is still accurate.:)

(otherwise my sig would be wrong!)