PDA

View Full Version : whether to take plague censers or warp lightning cannons

nikkcookie
26-10-2007, 15:57
whether to take plague censers or warp lightning cannons ....i do not know whether to tak 2 units of plague censers or 2 W lightnign cannons in 3000 pts against wood elves. please help :) i can hav 2 units of 5 censers and 10 plague monks or 2 w lightning cannons and use a unit of 20 plague monks. please help

Red_Duke
26-10-2007, 16:22
Hmm, against WE id say the warp lightning cannons were better, given their ability to snipe at things hiding in woods (such as BSBs, Treemen, HOD alter). Censer Bearers are pretty damn horrible, but more so id say against lower toughness armies (given that there probably wont be too many elves to deal with)

Couldnt you take 2 Warp Lightning Cannons and 1 unit of censers at 3k btw? id have the censers to deal with any wardancers, and keep the cannons for the aforementioned sniping.

FatOlaf
26-10-2007, 18:36
I would say leave the WLC's at home, unless you are prepared to lose them, the amount of fast skirmishers that WE have will mean they are fleeing pretty quickly.
I would say use the points to max out your priests units and take the censers!

moose
28-10-2007, 11:51
Thats correct, you have 3 rare choice options at 3k.

I'd take one warp lightning cannon, and two big units of censer bearers. Toughness tests on t3 elves is always good!

Greymarch
28-10-2007, 15:41
Why not take 1 choice of each?

gerrymander61
29-10-2007, 08:35
Against WE, the PCB's will be baited too easily and their main advantage is wasted against low armoured opponents. Grab one unit of PCBs and then 2 cannons.

WageMage
29-10-2007, 09:39
Take 1 WLC to snipe the big targets and take 2 units of PCB's.

Use them to obliterate dangerous stuff like Dryads (Remember Censers and their cloud are magical => no ward save :evilgrin:).

Red_Duke
29-10-2007, 10:54
Given that you can hide the WLC's behind your own troops (and shoot through them for that matter) i think the risks of them being charged early on are fairly minimal. Not only that, but it would necessitate them to come out of the woods to do that, and if they do, then great!

Given your opponent can field no less than 3 treemen (and one of those an ancient) in 3k, id certainly not underestimate the killing power of the WLC's, as you'll be relying heavily on them and the Jezzails to deal with them. Personally i think their ability to snipe stuff in woods to be literally game winning against WE (who otherwise generally hide stuff like mages and BSBs on their own in woods) If they then hide characters in say a unit or two of wardancers then cool - it keeps them out of the way too...

Dryads wont be coming directly at you anyway, they are total cannonfodder against ratling guns afterall. Id keep your ratlings hidden behind your own units till youve dealt with their archers btw...

bucheonman
05-11-2007, 13:02
I used to play Skaven in 5th edition, when Censor Bearers were God. They had multiple minuses for the enemy to shoot them, and toughness 4.

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Dasqueek-Master Assassin
05-11-2007, 14:24
Id also go for at least 1 WLC and 2 units f censer bearers. The censer bearers attacks and cloud are magica, and there can kill dryads and treemen. Plus since every elf unit is T3 they could help here too. The WLC should be used to snipe treemen, and lets not forget the dragon lord/mage your opponent could easily fit into 3000pts.

WillFightForFood
05-11-2007, 19:11
Censer bearers get two attacks at str 5, hatred, magic attacks, and the toughness test at the beginning of combat. I have seen them demolish wood elves. The trick is you need to position them to move in on the forest spirits and other immune to psychology units, who are unable to flee from charges.

The real downside of censer bearers is that they just don't inspire the same level of fear as the WLC. It has the potential to knock out any unit in the game and there's very little an opponent can do to hide from it. Moreover, the cannon is far less vulnerable to shooting.

I would say take 1 WLC, 1 Unit of 10 PCBs with 20 PMs (and the umbranner), and a Giant.

Beefy
06-11-2007, 02:28
IMHO,
if you get census bearers, dont get more than 7, because most likely they will have to square up with your opponent's unit that is 5 models wide, or on the flank that will most likely be 4 models wide. you would only take more for 'padding' vs. shooty armies.

with this in mind, you shouldn't charge them into high Toughness opponents (T4 is high enough for me), and the unit of 7 should not charge into the frontage of 5 monstrous bases.