PDA

View Full Version : Can melee\Dryad Wood Elf army work?

MrWoten
26-10-2007, 20:01
hello all. Can anyone tell me if lots of melee in a Wood Elves army is viable? Particularly the Dryads I like the models quite a bit. :)

highelfmage
26-10-2007, 20:32
yes it can. use a lot of dryads. followed by a tree man and some tree kin.

RavenBloodwind
26-10-2007, 22:47
As highelfmage stated, yes-it can work.

Dryads can be highly effective in melee but suffer from several limitations:

1) Being immune to psychology means you can't bait and flee
2) Being skirmishers you:
a) can't negate ranks
b) have no static CR
3) Vulnerable to magic missiles (lose ward save vs. magic)

I find the 'all forest spirit' (aka treemonic legion) suffers for its lack of baiting units.

If you want to have a more successful list, including some regular elven units (especially glade riders) will really help.

As for melee oriented armies you should not overlook the wardancers (which are awesome) and eternal guard (which I don't like but are highly effective).

Flypaper
27-10-2007, 03:11
Considering it's one of the top three tournament armies, I'd have to say that yes, it can work! :p

Makaber
27-10-2007, 03:26
It's a good army, because its shortcomings (no rank-and-file regiments, everything is immune to psychology) is compensated for by its troops being uniformly too good for its cost. Treemen are hands down the best monsters in the game, dryads have too good stats, and treekin are no sloughs in the monster department either.

Supporters of the forest spirit army will often point out several factors they claim make it balanced and fair. Treemen have problems against ranked regiments, dryads can't flee and don't get static CR, that sort of stuff. This is, of course, rubbish, because these are traits that are common to all the units of the relevant category. No monsters are good against ranked regiments. No skirmishers get rank bonuses. Yet the wood elf variants have universally better stats and/or are cheaper than their other-army counterparts.

Playing a wood spirit army makes you less than a man.

spambidextrous
27-10-2007, 20:13
I think a better question would be "Can melee\Dryad Woof Elf army fail to work?" :angel:

DirtyGarcia
28-10-2007, 05:27
I don't think that they're the end-all-be-all suggested. Take heavy magic at them, they crumble pretty quickly. Or how's about flaming weapons. I tend to take elves in my army for just this reason.

Frankly
28-10-2007, 07:46
If you add in fast cavarly for flanking and flyers for multi-task units then you have a troublesome armylist that hard to counter.

alextroy
28-10-2007, 19:45
I've been on the receiving end of a highly melee Wood Elf army that consist of 3-4 units of 8 Dryads, 1-2 units of 8 Wardancers, 1 Unit of Wild Riders, a Treeman, and usually a L4 Mage (with Caligore's Staff), Lvl 2 Mage (or a darn Truthsayer!), and some combat hero. It's a tough army and took some time to figure out how to beat with Empire.

Lorcryst
28-10-2007, 19:55
I fought a Wood Elf army based on close combat recently ... Wardancers, Warhawk Riders (with a combat monster of a Lord on a Warhawk), Wild Riders, a couple of small units of Dryads, a Treeman and 2 low-levels mages ...

It wasn't pretty. By the end of turn 4, all I had left on the table was a fleeing unit of Night Goblins with my General in it, pursued by 2 units of Warhawks ...

A Wood Elf army based on melee does work, and is scary as hell, but I'm begining to think that that army will work anyway ... not really easy to use, but in the hands of a good player, that army has everything that counts.

theunwantedbeing
28-10-2007, 19:55
Any type of army can work just fine.
If you base it around a good unit(like dryads) then it'll work fine.

The only problem is how fun the army is to use.
An army of drayds sure looks good....but all those skirmishers may get tiresome to move around so much, as well as you not really having anything to do for the first few turns other than get shot at and magicked.

I'de advise adding a few little extra's like some shooting and a more hitty unit(treeman for example) as well as something that moves a bit faster and can flee from a charge(glade riders or warhawk riders possibly).

That way you arent just spending your whole turn in the movement phase so you have a bit more to do.

fearchanges
28-10-2007, 21:56
Dryads are the back bone of a wood elf army.
The forest spirit list is heavy as hell, I recommend though using some Wild Riders for increase of manueverbillity and flank charges for negating ranks.
Treekin and Treeman can do this also, but don't have the M9 of the Wild Riders.
The Forest spirit list is lacking only in magical defence overall.

Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind
28-10-2007, 22:14
Personally I'd prefer to go for a more balanced option (baiting w/ Glade Riders + dual treemen = fun) but Forest Spirits are great units unless you're facing a magic heavy force.

AllisterCaine
30-10-2007, 02:06
it will work, its just that youll need some tree kin to back you up. wild riders are pretty nice, 5+ save, 5+ ward, magical resis 1, S4 attacks, +1 attack if they dont charge, cause fear on the charge.