PDA

View Full Version : What ever happened to Mk 8 Errant armour

OBISPUDKENOBI
26-10-2007, 22:18
Back in the early 90's during the mk6/mk7 hand over ,i remember that GW did several models of space marine armour ranging from mk1 to mk8 errant armour(i still have the white dwarf with the fluff)
Loads of people do pre heresy armies for 40k which i think is great but i fancy having a crack at doing a mk8 errant space marine army but the models are seriously difficult to get my hands on.

I keep looking on ebay as this seemed the obvious place to start looking but didnt have much joy.Im considering converting normal plastic marine torso and then having a bash at doing a mold ? not sure how difficult it will be ....

I wonder why GW didnt do more with the MK8 errant armour ?
what could they do within the realms of current fluff and models ?

(by the way for those who like old school mk6 marines i found this on ebay )

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260174951255&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

mistformsquirrel
26-10-2007, 22:22
Mk8... isn't that the armor with the super-high collar?

devolutionary
26-10-2007, 22:25
Indeed it is, and the full covering over the abdomen pipes. It's more like Mk VII.II than anything, and pieces or if are all over the place.

Sir_Turalyon
26-10-2007, 22:37
(by the way for those who like old school mk6 marines i found this on ebay )

The torsos are Mark 5, not Mark 6. Mark 5 has two cables going from shoulder to waist, crossing on the chest; Mark 6 has three cables going from belt buckle to collar and both shoulders.

There is Mark 8 torso on seregant bits and special weapons sprue in tactical box, and all Grey Knights wear Mark 8 armour.

OBISPUDKENOBI
26-10-2007, 22:37
yeah thats the armour, i always got the feeling that Jes Goodwin was experimenting one day and some clever soul decided "hmmm i think that would sell, but what could we call it?"

Leftenant Gashrog
26-10-2007, 23:15
There is Mark 8 torso on seregant bits and special weapons sprue in tactical box, and all Grey Knights wear Mark 8 armour.

That should be "Mark 8~ish", Mark 8 has three notable features:
Armoured Neck Ring
Armoured Power-Cable Box
Ankle-nub on the inner leg

There are no true Mk8 bits/minis in production:

The torso on the Tactical Accessory sprue has the Neck Ring but only has regular Mk7 power cables.

The winged skull and crossbone torso on the basic marine sprue has the armoured gut box but not the neck ring.

The Grey Knights have both the neck ring and the gut box, however they have Mk6 legs.

the spook
27-10-2007, 00:50
Well, there's the old metal mini's in the classic range. I used to have a few way back when...

kris.sherriff
27-10-2007, 02:07
Isn't the company champion in Errant armour?

AbyssRaven
27-10-2007, 06:24
I think his chest is, but not his shoulders

I really like Mk.8
I wanted to doa full force (a new established chapter starting its way in the big bad universe!) Using all Mk8. But alas its incredibly hard to dig up mk.8
I think so far i have all of 5 colalred necks put by. Plan to GS cover the cabling. No ankle do-whackeys arou d though

AbyssRaven
27-10-2007, 06:30
Mark 8 Marine Armor: "Errant Armor"
The newest Mark of powered armor seems from outward appearances to be not much more of a jump than the Mk 7 was. Mark 8 Powered Armor appears to represent further refinements of the design
started with Mk's 6-7. The suit itself is a highly modified Mark 7. The addition of fixed armour plates to the torso now enclose all of the suits cables, which were most vulnerable to area effect weapons, and a new armored collar protected the helmets respirator.

The addition of an armored collar also fixed the vulnerability of the neck joint. On rare occasions the chest and helmet of the older styles would act as a shell trap. Sometimes a round would hit the armor in such a way as to cause it to skim the surface of the armor upward, under the helmet and into the neck joint. The collar precipitated a change to the helmet, and unfortunately this caused a lack of backward compatibility with the earlier helmets. Mk 7 helmets could be used, however considerable modification would be required.

Mark 8 armor has only seen limited production thus far, and is seen in limited numbers on the battlefields of the 41st millennium. Often, it is warn by officers or squad leaders as a symbol of rank.

Reaver83
27-10-2007, 09:19
i think i've got about 5 bodies of errant armour in a box somewhere, i think they're nice

leonmallett
27-10-2007, 10:57
It may be worth putting a thread on the Trading section to try and obtain more for those interested.

Sir_Turalyon
27-10-2007, 11:33
I wanted to doa full force (a new established chapter starting its way in the big bad universe!) Using all Mk8. But alas its incredibly hard to dig up mk.8

Collars you can do yourself, by cuting them out of backplates and fixing them to breastplates of Mark 7. My friend did it while ago when he tried to make Grey Knights out of plastic marines, and it worked adequately. Sure, you'll have to waste every second Mark 7 torso if you don't have spare backplates, but t's cheapest way of geting collars I know. And, two torsos in each box are Mark 5 and useless to you anyway.

Boxes for belly cables don't seem hard to scupult in green stuff. One Mark 7 suit per sprue has them done anyway.

As extra ankle protection is not mentioned in armour background, I would ignore it.

A tactical box has one collared breastplate, 2 breastplates with gut box, 2 Mark 5 breastplates, 6 Mark 7 breastplates and 10 backplates. You can make 5 Mark 8 torsos from it, leaving you with two Mark 5, four Mark 7 breastplates and one backplate unused (2 boxes give you 11 torsos leave no unused backplates).

Inquisitor Feldenhaus
27-10-2007, 12:58
As was posted above mk 8 is very rare, and very new, so a whole chapter, let alone a whole company wearing it is very unlikely.

malisteen
27-10-2007, 13:09
Just as some people go out of their way to represent 'past' 40k armies with heresy equipment, the OP here may want to represent a 'future' space marine chapter with more developed equipment. TBH, that sounds like a rather reasonable and original idea to me.

Gromhir
27-10-2007, 13:37
Wouldn't it be easier, rather than so much chopping and wasting of bits, to just GS both the collar and armour plates?

OBISPUDKENOBI
27-10-2007, 13:38
Thanks for the comments so far guys ,im thinking the best way to go about this is to try to convert standard plastic marines , with a greenstuff/plasticard combo as i think trying to get my hands on the old metals would be expensive,time consuming and they are smaller in size to the current marines as far as i can tell.

As malisteen mentioned the marine of year 45k hopefully will have developed in some way ,granted the imperium has a habit of looking backwards when it comes to technology but the empire is a huge place and alot of chapters dont exactly follow the codex as its layed out so maybe a chapter closely linked to mars could get its hands on large amounts of MK8 .....
You only need look at Deathwatch and the Grey knights to see that some chapters can lay their grubby hands on better "stuff" than other chapters,Im thinking that my so far unamed chapter has been developed for a threat so far unseen,but would be some form of xenos.

last akodo
27-10-2007, 15:47
An interesting idea. Greenstuff and thin plasticard would definitly be the way to go. If you are planning on following the furture timeline idea you might want to add some extra details of your own to the armour (like a change to the kneepads). Possibly even doing a bit of back tracking tech wise. Just to represent the difference in time. An example (that you almost definitly won't use) would be going back to the old Mk3 armour that had a fixed helmate, thus solving the neck joint issue.

EVIL INC
27-10-2007, 17:46
To be honest, I was never really fond of the mk 8 armor. Maybe it was that garish paint scheme they had on the models in the White Dwarf I saw them in. My favorite and one I would personally like to see made would be the mk 5. There is just something intimidating about that suit.
Even better yet...(I know all non-marine/chaos members will lynch me for this)If GW would make a plastic set for each varient from 1-8. This way, people could customize thier armies to be all of one varient or make special units wear special armor like all veterans wearing mk6 or something like that. It would also let people mix and match the parts they like best from each version together. Even people making terreign would love them as they could use them to make statuary of ancient heros that would be more accurate as they would actually have the armor those ancient heros wore to make them out of. You KNOW these would sell like hotcakes. Heck, I know I would buy some.

AmKhaibitu
28-10-2007, 08:17
More to the point they just need one set of 1 - 8, people can trade between each other for the suits they need in exchange for the ones they don't. But we know it'll never happen.

mel_danes
28-10-2007, 08:52
Leftenant Gashrog
That should be "Mark 8~ish", Mark 8 has three notable features:

Armoured Neck Ring
Armoured Power-Cable Box
Ankle-nub on the inner leg

Vambrace goes past the wrist and covers the back of the hand. Rather than the swivel joint we have now.
Also the helmet is slightly different.

I have all the varaitions of the Mk8 they made. The Single mini with atttached arms and the torso+leg combo that came later. I've yet to find a good way to create they in Mini form.

Good luck with this.

Chaos and Evil
28-10-2007, 11:39
As malisteen mentioned the marine of year 45k hopefully will have developed in some way ,granted the imperium has a habit of looking backwards when it comes to technology but the empire is a huge place and alot of chapters dont exactly follow the codex as its layed out so maybe a chapter closely linked to mars could get its hands on large amounts of MK8 .....

By 45k, the Imperium will have shattered under its own ponderous weight; Warhammer 40k is set on the edge of Humanity's great fall, if you hadn't noticed... :rolleyes: