PDA

View Full Version : So, what's next for LOTR SBG?

Brandir
13-04-2005, 18:29
So, what's next for LOTR SBG?

Obviously there is the summer campaign.

But then what?

With the news that GW will be releasing more film based blisters (such as mounted Isildur and armoured Celeborn) I am expecting a consolidated LOTR SBG rulebook.

But the next supplement?

I have a feeling that it will cover the Last Alliance and possibly the war between the Elves and Sauron following the making of the Rings of Power.

Ahmato
13-04-2005, 18:42
Its all good, I've only just started and already waaay over my head, still beats WHFB ;)

Ahmato

Pertinax
13-04-2005, 18:52
Mirkwood.

Spiders!

Witchsmeller
14-04-2005, 02:29
I heard that after the big rule book is released we will be seeing "Shadow of the East' which will include plastic Easterlings

Pertinax
14-04-2005, 07:45
True. You have the "Shadows of the East", then the new core set "Mines of Moria", and then "Mirkwood".

Brandir
14-04-2005, 07:58
Ahh yes, I forgot the Mines of Moria based box set that someone helpfully posted pics of on the 'old' Portent.

Inquisitor Engel
14-04-2005, 14:28
Mines of Moria is the new 'Starter' box set. Containing all the basic rules. The FOTR, TT and ROTK rulebooks will become (or be republished as) something like Armybooks, but with all the characters and stuff in there.

Mirkwood will also be another 'Starter' box, possibly more generic, without a Fellowship in it. A couple or other supplements will follow, like the aforementioned Easterlings. There's talk of a 'Necromancer' supplement, but that could be Mirkwood too.

Brandir
20-04-2005, 20:56
Do we have any dates for these releases yet?

infernus31
20-04-2005, 21:06
I belive the starter sets are just within GWs 6 month schedule , the rest are within the year IIRC

rkunisch
21-04-2005, 08:48
Mines of Moria should be out later this year.

Have fun,

Rolf.

Major Thom
21-04-2005, 15:21
According to what I was told at the Seminars at GD Atlanta, It will follow the same release schedule as 40K did last year.

Hard cover rule book - September
Starter game - October

duendegris
21-04-2005, 19:30
hi guys.

I have read a lot of "mixed" things here. but as we used to said: "a image is better than a 1000 words" ;) .

Following the Atlanta GD seminar, as Major Thom has said:

http://www.bigjoeduke.com/GamesDay2005Atlanta/dscn0296.gif

http://www.bigjoeduke.com/GamesDay2005Atlanta/DSCN0297.JPG

http://www.bigjoeduke.com/GamesDay2005Atlanta/DSCN0298.JPG

http://www.bigjoeduke.com/GamesDay2005Atlanta/DSCN0299.JPG

And I wonder...where is TLA rumored suplement? :rolleyes:

Messiah
22-04-2005, 21:03
oooh, plastic easterlings..!

de Selby
23-04-2005, 14:04
I'd love to see plastic spiders (and I don't even play LOTR), but I guess they would have said 'plastic' if this was going to be the case. Even metal ones could be very cool, potentially.

Brandir
23-04-2005, 14:16
So this years 'big one' will be LOTR. I presume that 2006 will then see the new WHFB and the rumoured WHFB version of BGinME.

duendegris
23-04-2005, 19:36
I know isnīt the right forum but Brandir .... rumoured WHFB version of BGinME?? :eek:

And had not semi-confirmed that the next suplement would be TLA? Maybe was delayed?

Brandir
24-04-2005, 07:07
The Last Alliance supplement was only a rumour; I have never heard even 'semi' comfirmation of such a book. However, it is a sensible assessment to make - a Last Alliance based supplement would be very popular and relatively easy for even GW staff members to write without compoletely ruining Tolkien's work.

On the otherfront, following the incredible success of BGinME GW investigated the possibility of doing a similar thing to WH40K and/or WHFB, To the extent that about 4 months ago they advertised in WD for someone to coordinate the magazine. But please remember that many GW projects don't actually get published despite the work that staff members put into it. I am guessing that the part work will be WHFB as this would fit into the next release of this game. However, WH40K as a part work would also be good as I think it would be more popular than fantasy and easier to do.

t-tauri
24-04-2005, 09:28
I'd expect 40k to get the BGiME treatment first as it's just had a new edition and it'd be a doddle to do Space Marines and some enemies for 50 issues. It'd sell. Fantasy I would expect after it gets a new edition in a year or two.

Baggers
24-04-2005, 15:57
I'd expect 40k to get the BGiME treatment first as it's just had a new edition and it'd be a doddle to do Space Marines and some enemies for 50 issues. It'd sell. Fantasy I would expect after it gets a new edition in a year or two.

It will be a 40k version of BGME for the next partwork if it is released.

duendegris
24-04-2005, 16:21
Thanks Brandir. I had believed to hear some things about a possible suplement (but yes, only rumors) of TLA in one of the Gwīs seminars or in a chat with Alessio, Mat and Adam, but I donīt remenber where :rolleyes:

And the possible BGoME for WF or 40k.. donīt know in other countries, but here in Spain, 4 or 5 years ago (donīt remenber exactly ) we had one colectible of warhammer, with the 5th edition minis and rules, so this idea is not a surprise for us :p . But always is welcome ;)

This item is out os stock, but you can see how was it here (in spanish): http://www.altaya.es/ficha.php?id=65

Namárië

rkunisch
24-04-2005, 17:21
I am not so sure if WFB or 40K would be as successful as LotR as part work. First of all both systems are designed for battle with lots of minis. LotR was always about skirmish level. Sure, the other both have also rules for skirmish battle, but I do not think that this would work for 50+ issues of a part work magazine. Just have a look at the 40K starter set. It would go easily for about the first ten issues, but then what? The next step would be larger models which simply do not fit into the release chain of such a magazine. Bah, I think we will have to wait and see.

Back on topic: I am quite sure that I read a semi-official confirmation for the Last Alliance supplement. I just do not remember where and when (sigh!).

Have fun,

Rolf.

Baggers
26-04-2005, 21:40
A 40k part work is possiable as it can give the basic start of each army, one leader (may be difficult for Orks) two troop choice a veichle of some sort and something a bit more spectacular in the way of troop choice.

The Judge
08-05-2005, 20:22
Mines of Moria starter set - what comes in it, Goblins and Dwarfs? Goblins and Fellowship? Not Goblins and Last Alliance...

Garoth
08-05-2005, 21:24
Plastic Fellowship of the Ring
Plastic Cave Troll
24 Moria Goblins
Plastic Scenery (Balin's Tomb)
Introduction Booklet (easy starter scenarios, like BfM)
Mini version of the new rulebook (like BfM)