PDA

View Full Version : I'm doing spyrers, help!:D

floyd pinkerton
28-10-2007, 22:16
Hi guys,

Does was it says on the tin;)

I was thinking about taking orrus and yeld ones, as the other's dont seem to be too effective.

Any suggestions?

Major_Gilbear
28-10-2007, 23:06
Hi guys,

Does was it says on the tin;)

I was thinking about taking orrus and yeld ones, as the other's dont seem to be too effective.

Any suggestions?

Well, they're all good TBH, but they each shine in different ways and are useful at different stages of the team's progression.

Yeld are pretty shooty and usually get fielded as snipers/support. I find that if you deploy them a couple of levels up, they can charge a ridiculous distance, which makes them perfect for taking out any models that are "down", usually with very little risk to them in return. Their special camo stops them getting much return fire too.

Orrus are simple, no-nonsense storm troops really, but they are pretty slow compared to all the other rigs. If you have a mix of members, you may find that they just get left behind. Some players get around this by fielding two of them, so that they can support each other while the rest of the team does their own thing.

Jakara look pretty vanilla, and the Mirror Shield tends to put off newer players as it looks fussy to use. In fact, they are some of the best Spyrers! They can't be shot at when in CC unless the enemy wants to risk hitting their own, the shield protects them against a good selection of reasonably common weapons, and they are fast - especially after a few advances. They can easily slice up most models in CC as well, so they usually give a good account of themselves. Again, best used in pairs or threes.

Malcadon is the most maligned Spyrer simply because it doesn't appear to excel in anything directly related to combat. But it's abilities are great for stalking or infiltrating and it really does become a great rig after it has a few advances under its belt. Sadly though, as it isn't great at shooting or CC initially, it can struggle to get enough advances early on. Whilst buying other rigs XP points with any leftover credits is very tempting, consider giving the Malcadon a helping hand instead as they will benefit from them most in the long-term.

I used to field one of each rig, plus a duplicate of one of them (for a total of 5 members). Having 5 members is handy, as you cannot recruit any more after you set off from the Spire, and the extra bodies will help you when the enemy starts shooting at you. Which rig I doubled up on varied according to whim, but sometimes I'd drop one of the singly-fielded rigs in order to double up on a second. For example, 2 Jakara, 2 Malcadon and 1 Yeld. Or 2 Orrus, 1 Yeld, 1 Malcadon and 1 Jakara. Or whetever else you fancy really - just remember that each rig fills a useful niche, so you really need to include at least three different types for the "best results".

As far as tactics go, avoid getting shot at, avoid large groups of gangers, and avoid multiple combats against you :p.
I know this is obvious and that it goes for all gangs, but with Spyrers it is critical. You get no recruits, there is no trading for Stinger Mould patches or whatever, and there are no handy Juves to cop fire on the charge in. As a team of hunters, you really do need to hunt the enemy gang and if that means you have a couple of quiet turns getting into positions or otherwise setting up a kill, then do so. Also remember that bottling out at the right moment is critical, and that if more than two members are "out" you need to be thinking about cutting your losses.

Anyway, I know this is all a bit general, but I hope it has at least given you a few ideas. Shout if you have any (more specific) questions ;).

BigRob
29-10-2007, 15:07
Spyrers rock and have super technology at thier disposal.....unfortunatly they have one major weakness..... Pinning.

If your pinned by the enemy fire it leaves you vunerable to counter assault or more fire next round. Your spyrers have armour, forcefields or camoflage, but they will still be fleshwounded/downed and taken out of action. Terrain is vital to a spyrer gang and careful planning is needed, especially against the shooty overwatch gangs.

Orrus are the big hitters with a decent shooting attack, CC power and the force field. They are slow and vunerable so you need to keep them in cover till they get the charge.
Yeld shoot and can use their wings for speed, but they dont have teh range of other gangs big guns. They often end up in a support role, covering the attack.
Jakara are the best of the bunch, decent armour from the mirror shield and you get to bounce back laser beams. They also have a Skull Chip. This is invaluable!
Malcadon get bad press becausethey dont get XP for using thier web guns. They are super fast however and if you get the advance roll that gives them a blast template they become very powerful.
The matriach and patriach get to turn up once per hunt and can help you out big time, so make sure you call on them whne you have to.

Overall Spyrers sucess depends greatly on scenario, terrain and tactics. Dont get fooled into playing basic gang fights and try and start with 5 models for strength in numbers. 1 ofeach plus one is a standard set up. You can have 6 members if you take all malcadon, but I've never tried it.

Good Luck

Angelwing
29-10-2007, 16:54
I've run with one of each and an extra malcadon. I've found malcadons to be the best purely for the massive charge reach available after a few upgrades. I never bother with the web spinners! The yeld is again very fast and useful at shooting from afar. He can also be used to try and tempt overwatchers, who will find him difficult to hit. The Jakara did me proud as the second wave attack supported by fire from the orrus.
Pinning shouldn't be a massive problem, as all of your guys can roll to escape at the start of the turn.

Catferret
30-10-2007, 08:52
BigRob makes an excellent point about Pinning. Once you start taking hits you may end up unable to fight back and make your limited numbers count even less.

In prder to alleviate this a little, try a mixture of Orrus and Jakara. Both have unmodifiable saves of some kind so will not be pinned if they can pass that save (most recent FAQ). They also support each other quite well with the Orrus providing short range covering fire for the Jakaras.

Not very interesting selection but they should support each other quite well.

Just a thought.

Deltrax
31-10-2007, 00:34
First advice: Man down? bottle out!

Go for a laugh? A Quad of Orrus is fun aswell if your local campaign is full of CC orientated gangs. Tried that once, and succeeded as nobody was willing to try to take my gang on halfway during the campaign. I only had to bottle out ASAP when fighting the local shooty Van Saars. Oh yeah bottle out if you can.
Avoid MegaHurtz! Trying to take on a gang with one spyrer is a pain. Seen that once.

And no... it wasn't a Patriarch. That one can take out a newbie gang in one go.

nightgant98c
31-10-2007, 03:45
I'll add that running is a big help. The -1 to hit a fast moving target is nice protection.

Hicks
31-10-2007, 05:44
My gang is the most feared in all of my playgroup. I have 2 Malcadons and one of each of the other types. Malcadons are invaluable for their ability to hit opponents in the back thanks to their speed. That really helps against overwatch.

What I would be afraid of is ennemies with swords, I can't tell you how much I hate to have my attacks parried.

Carlos
15-11-2007, 20:24
Malcadons rock.

M8+Sprint+Leap+WS7+Body Slam = nowhere to hide.

Deltrax
23-03-2008, 02:11
The Malcadons are the cheapest of the lot.. I just checked and you can take 6 Malcadons. Alternatively you could swap up to two malcadons for Yelds in a vow. It's the only possibility to take 6 members.

Eazy-O
23-03-2008, 12:27
Wow, talk about threadomancy. :)

We're playing a 500pts campaign here for kicks and i'm fielding 2 Malcadons and 1 Yeld. The only other possibility to field 3 members would be 3 Malcadons, which is kinda meh.

It's working pretty well, trying to stay stealthy at all times and pick on gangers who think they're safe cause they're on top of a building with no ladders nearby. ;) Webspinners rock for movement. However, i've only shot with them once in the course of the campaign. Just... dunno, don't seem that useful. Yeld is nice too, picking on lone gangers & juves and confusing the hell outta opposition with hiding in the middle of nowhere.

Armour is not to be relied on, but i've had my share of fives and sixes rolled when i most needed them. ;) Give Spyrers a shot, they're fun.

Hm... wonder what it'd be like to face a spyrer gang with a spyrer gang... :D

Deltrax
23-03-2008, 14:36
Wow, talk about threadomancy. :)
I know! I responded in this thread a long time ago, and I did a 'check' to see if there were cool posts after me.

We're playing a 500pts campaign here for kicks and i'm fielding 2 Malcadons and 1 Yeld. The only other possibility to field 3 members would be 3 Malcadons, which is kinda meh.
Yes that's what I said in my previous post too, just divided by 2... Anyway kudos to hear the 500pts campaign is progressing well.

It's working pretty well, trying to stay stealthy at all times and pick on gangers who think they're safe cause they're on top of a building with no ladders nearby. ;) Webspinners rock for movement. However, i've only shot with them once in the course of the campaign. Just... dunno, don't seem that useful. Yeld is nice too, picking on lone gangers & juves and confusing the hell outta opposition with hiding in the middle of nowhere.

Armour is not to be relied on, but i've had my share of fives and sixes rolled when i most needed them. ;) Give Spyrers a shot, they're fun.

Hm... wonder what it'd be like to face a spyrer gang with a spyrer gang... :D

Fighting spyrers is wicked... as all your previous tactics go out of the window. Normally you would rush in with your WS5 Malcadon, but against a WS6 Orrus with 3+ save, you'll think twice.
You only need 1 kill at the most so to have your opponent take bottle tests... Just be ultra carefull, as this becomes more off a mindgame.
As soon as you have one kill, your opponent has to start taking bottle tests, which he will fail eventually. So huddle up, double cover, retreat, just have him expose himself in order to be able to shoot you.

On a sidenote, I would love to see a Patriarch and a Matriarch duke it out as a family dispute. Bets anyone... place your bets now!

porph
27-08-2008, 19:35
sorry to drag a topic up from the dead again.

I've just got back into necromunda and along with a few other gangs, I want a Spyrer gang. So far I have an Orrus, a Malcadon and a Jakara.

The manager at my local GW rang up nottingham and apparently they wont be making any more for a few months. Nothing on ebay...

Any ideas as to where I could get hold of a Yeld + any others?

Catferret
27-08-2008, 19:43
I see Yeld appear on Ebay a fair bit. Just keep checking back regularly.

The Patriarch and Matriarch are very difficult to acquire though. I've never seen them on Ebay and can only suggest starting a Wanted Thread in the sale/trade forum. Do the same on other sites like Eastern Fringe (http://easternfringe.com/forum/index.php). It's very Necromunda oriented.

Akuma
27-08-2008, 21:08
I want to ask how to deal with Spyers - thare are going to be one player who will be using them - i think ambush scenario could spell doom for them - just have to put some very hard to hide terrain in the center and start porung fire on them ...

porph
27-08-2008, 22:21
thanks. I got the 3 I've got now from ebay. I'd pay a lot of money for a yeld, patriarch and matriarch!

nightgant98c
28-08-2008, 18:53
Unless you just want to have them, I wouldn't get the patriarch or matriarch. They have very special rules for when you can use them, so unless you just want all the different spyrers, they will most likely just be a waste of money.

porph
28-08-2008, 19:54
yeh i am aware that they would hardly be used but I am a completist and having never seen the models in person, would love to add them to my colection!

Carlos
29-08-2008, 11:13
If you're struggling to find models go do some conversions. Ive been playing Spyrers as my number one gang for over 12 years now in various guises. My first gang 'The Killerz' (I was 14 way back in 1996...) were deadly, as we used the old rules and under the old rules, spyrers were VERY overpowered.

Under the new/old rules my 'Harbingers' gang is still pretty damn hard but I run with 2x Orrus, 2x Yeld and 1x Malcadon. For Models the Tau range is pretty good for a few things: Stealth suits make suitable Orrus stand-ins, I use 2x Pathfinders with Rail Rifles and swooping hawk wings as Yelds (1 is glued to a flying base!) and a Callidus Assassin as a Malcadon.

Im running a 2 Yeld, 2 Malcadon and 1x Jakara gang soon to see how Speed beats brute force.

porph
29-08-2008, 13:51
I had thought of that, esp with regards to the matriach/patriach. I have some eldar knocking around which I think may well be a good start.

farnham
29-08-2008, 15:21
i'm running a gang with one of each and one extra Malc, the Malc's draw most of the fire while the orrus gets left behind and as a result is lagging behind skill wise though. The Yeld and Jakkara are turning into walking death Machines.

Mission wise i aim for things like raid, as you have the advantage from the start, i manage to take apart a opposing gang to the point that after everyone of them got on the table only one walked away, various serious injuries, 1 death and 2 captures later he decided to retire the gang. There is one gang n the campaign i haven't faced yet and there a bunch of ratskins with power weapons, so they'll be prime Raid bait.

Long story short you'll start off with the lowest gang rating meaning you've a good chance you'll pick the scenario so go for the Raid, get into position then let rip and kill your way out.

As for Models when i started the gang i converted them the Malc's are dark eldar bodies, Tau helmets, dark elder spikey bits with the flamers from a wraith lord as web spinners. The Orrus is a techpriest with lighting claws minus the blades, the jakkara is one of the 4th ED banshees with a head swap and the Yeld is a shadowseer with the wings from the jump pack from a scourge.

I know have the models for everything other than the Malc's hopefully they start making them again (UK wise that is, can you order from the US store to the UK?) as there going for silly money on ebay.

porph
29-08-2008, 15:40
according to GW nottingham, they will be making them again 'in a few months'.

I've played a couple of games with them (I have 3 models and 2 standins). Played a gangfight first which was fun but then played ambush which was great fun. Got hit hard (2 out of action and 1 down) but managed to take out 5 opposition Orlocks (killed 1 of them).

Need more scenery as we played on a table barely 2.5 x 2.5 !

Got loads of experience and some usefull skills.

I have a ratskin gang of 15 (ebay) in the post which will be fun and I want another standard gang to make 4 gangs. (I play with my brother).

It's a lot easier collecting the minis now I am 10 years older and earn a hell of a lot more money!

Daredhnu
30-08-2008, 11:47
hmm yes i too remember the days when i started the only time i could afford a new gang or something for an army was right after my birthday. (and i also got some stuff at christmas)
now i can pretty much buy whatever i want without any problems.
(i'm building a full chapter of marines, at the moment i have 3 companies though not painted yet, it will be my greatest achievement)