PDA

View Full Version : Space Marine Chapter Serfs v2.0

firestorm40k
08-09-2005, 08:54
Hello, I've taken on board the feedback I've had from the previous post, and updated these rules.

I've also included some fluff to account for different approaches to making chapter serfs, this is simply to suggest that it's up to each gamer how they model/convert/portray their chapter serfs. For example, in my mind Ultramarine chapter serfs could be converted from Cadians (just a weapon & head swap), whereas Black Templar ones could be converted using Bretonnian Men at Arms.

Anyway, here's version 2.0:

SPACE MARINE ADJUTANT SQUADS

As well as just over 1,000 genetically modified, super-human warriors, a Space Marine Chapter contains around 20,000 ordinary, human staff. These chapter serfs attend to their masters in a variety of ways, through aiding in the maintenance of their ancient power armour, the chapter’s vehicles, and manning the chapter’s fleet.

When Space Marine fleets engage in boarding actions, at the fore-front of these actions are companies of Space Marines, storming the enemy vessels. But they are often supported by their serfs, skilled fighters even by the standards of ordinary humans, and fully indoctrinated as faithful servants of the chapter. These squads are often lead by novitiates, individuals who failed at some early stage of the training and process of becoming a Space Marine – but otherwise possessed of superior training and skills of other non-enhanced humans.

The appearance and uniform of the Adjutants varies between Chapters. For example, Adjutants on Ultramarine spacecraft have a dress uniform and wear flak armour in battle, so they look not unlike Imperial Navy staff or some Imperial Guard regiments, and are deployed with a similar organisation. However Adjutants on Black Templar spacecraft wear frayed robes made from harsh materials, reflecting their religious zeal for their masters holy crusades, and in battle fight as a mob in the grip of fervour.

Space Marine Adjutant squads are a troops choice for a Space Marine army, and can only be used in missions representing Space Marine boarding actions (or when a Space Marine vessel has been boarded, for that matter), and with the permission of your opponent. Note: You may take one squad of adjutants for every two Space Marine Tactical squads. So, for example, a Space Marine army containing four Tactical squads may contain two adjutant squads – filling all six troops choices on the force organisation chart.

Pts/Model WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv
Adjutant 8 3 3 3 3 1 3 1 7 5+
Novitiate +5 4 4 3 3 1 3 2 8 5+
Gun Servitor 10+Gun 3 4 3 3 1 3 1 8 4+

Number/Squad: 5-15 Adjutants.

Weapons: Each model is armed with either a Shotgun or an Autopistol and Close Combat Weapon; all are equipped with Frag Grenades.

Options: Up to 2 adjutants may be armed with one of the following special weapons: flamer at +6 pts; meltaguns at +10pts. One adjutant may be armed with a melta charge (in exchange for their Frag grenades) at +5pts.

The squad may include 0-2 Gun Servitors, which may be armed with either a Heavy Bolter for +15 points or a Multi-melta for +25 points.

Character: One adjutant may be upgraded to a novitiate for +5 points. He is armed with a bolt pistol and close combat weapon, and may be equipped with up to 10pts worth of wargear, from the following list:

Bolt pistol or Bolter at +1 point; power weapon at +5 pts; bionics at +5 pts; purity seals at +5 pts; surveyor at + 2 pts

SPECIAL RULE
Inspirational Masters: Following their super-human masters in to battle, the chapter adjutants are inspired by their fearless acts and their faith in their masters. The ‘…And They Shall Know No Fear’ rules apply to any adjutant squad which is within 12” of any Space Marine squad (with at least 50% of their starting strength remaining).

Melta Charges: Melta charges are used by boarders to open bulkheads and remove doors once, or sabotage important systems aboard enemy ships. A squad that includes a melta charge can once per game move through a wall, counting it as difficult rather than impassable terrain.

warlordgrubnatz
08-09-2005, 21:50
I like it have a curry.

firestorm40k
09-09-2005, 11:51
I like it have a curry.

Thank you, Grubnatz! Mine's a Keema Balti. :p ;)

warlordgrubnatz
09-09-2005, 19:33
vindaloo or rogan josh is mine. (shh were off topic :angel: )

TheSonOfAbbadon
10-09-2005, 19:45
Why can't the Gun Servitors take Plasma Cannons?

And I hate curry.

warlordgrubnatz
10-09-2005, 21:05
WHAT FOUL CURRY DEVIANT DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh yeah the plasma cannons should be included. Also they should be able to take grenade launchers from codex guard.

(ps im having a curry soon :D)

Hideous Loon
10-09-2005, 23:37
I know I've asked it before, but what in the name of the Emperor's underpants are surveyors? The same thing as auspexes, but with a snazzy name? And I like the idea of including Chapter Serfs in a Marine army, even though it's under extreme circumstances. Not to mention the fact that your rules seem fairly balanced, but seeing how this is the Mk.II, ignore this statement.

Btw, ...mmm, curry...

firestorm40k
11-09-2005, 17:20
Yes, surveyors are auspexes!

I felt that the gun-servitors for an adjutant squad wouldn't have anything as valuable as a plasma cannon, which I why I took off that option.

And there's no grenade launchers for the simple reason they're fighting on space ships - grenade explosions could cause a bit of a problem! :D I had originally included Demlition Charges as an upgrade to give them a bit of fire power in the v.1 rules. But someone on ths forum rightly pointed out they aren't a good idea on a space ship!

warlordgrubnatz
16-10-2005, 12:32
ive made some more serfs

Personal serfs

In many chapters it is custom for space marines to select members of the general populace to be their aids. These come in many diferent forms. Space marines may select preists to anoint them with litanies and personaly bless their weapons and armour. They may select a scribe to record their actions so that they may be rembered for ever in the chapters history. Or prehaps they will take with them a profit, a member of the preisthood who i said to be able to see into the close future.

Preists WS2 BS1 S 3 T 3 W1 I3 A1 LD 7 SV 6+ PTS: 10
battle preist: WS3 BS2 S3 T3 W1 I3 A1 LD7 SV6+ PTS: +5

weapons: A preist is armed with a bolt pistol and minor relic.

options: A preist may be upgraded to a battle preist at +5pts.

SPECIAL RULES
item of devoyion: This could be a cross, an anointed stake or an incence burner. They count as a close combat weapon in battle but they can also be revealed once in the game allowin the squad attached to teh preist to re-roll one leadership test.
Atachment: A preist is atached to any space marine tactical or devastator squad, they must remain within 4" and take no space on the force orginisation chart, they count as a 0-2 choice.

Scribe WS1 BS1 S 3 T 3 W1 I3 A1 LD 7 SV 6+ PTS: 10
weapons: Bolt pistol

special rules:
Records: A scribe will record his squads every move on a sheet of parchment. Knowing this they will fight to be remembered in their chapters history. While the scribe is alive the squad sergeant will have +1 ws. If the scribe is killed teh squad must take a ld test.
Atachment: See preist, count as 0-1

prophit: WS2 BS1 S 3 T 3 W1 I3 A1 LD 7 SV 6+ PTS: 15

weapons: Bolt pistol and close comabt weapon

special rules
future sight: Prophits can see into the near future, as such any cahracter they are attached to gets a 6+ invunerable save, however they can predict wrong so evry time the save is used teh prophit must take a ld test, if he fails the character he is atached to will fail the save.
Atachment: must be atached to a character, the character can't take a jump pack or bike. Counts as 0-1

Squires
Some space marines will take a particularly talenetd neophyte with them into battle. These are refered to as squires, they are the ones who show potential early on and will become great marines some day.

WS3 BS2 S 3 T 3 W1 I3 A2 LD 8 SV 4+ PTS: 12

weapons: close combat weapon, bolt pistol

Special rules:
Atachment: must be atched to a special/ independent character, count as 0-2. Characters with retinues may select a squire.
blind devotion: If teh character takes a wound he may select to allocate it to the squire instead, killing him outright

Hlokk
16-10-2005, 16:00
I must admit, i thought "Oh crap, the last thing we need are more marine add-ons" but I admit that I've been pleasantly suprised by your rules.

The only thing I would querie is the Squire, why would serfs be given a power weapon over a normal battle brother. Maybe you could adjust the background slightly to say these are grafted onto them or are some sort of cybernetic implant rather than an uber sword.

Also, drop the holy relic for the priest if he becomes a prophet and give him a different power.

overall, I like these.

And mines a rogan josh and a pint of guinness please

warlordgrubnatz
18-10-2005, 17:53
edited as acording ;)

firestorm40k
27-10-2005, 13:42
Hello, sorry it's taken me a while to get back to this.

I must say I'm not sure about having priests, or warrior priests, or prophets and the like as Space Marine upgrades, but I really like the Squires idea.

I would remove their bolt pistol, take their LD, Attacks and Sv down -1, but keep their other special rules. You could make this a general upgrade for all characters, and your rules representing Scribes or Prophets can be encapsulated by giving different bonuses to different characters, e.g. prohpet could work in the same was as familiars for Librarians (in which case makes them a bit redundant!), or a Chaplain can have scribes or bearers of relics, giving them an attack bonus in cc.

Just thinking off the top of my head there! :p

warlordgrubnatz
27-10-2005, 16:01
Personal serfs

In many chapters it is custom for space marines to select members of the general populace to be their aids. These come in many diferent forms. Space marines may select preists to anoint them with litanies and personaly bless their weapons and armour. They may select a scribe to record their actions so that they may be rembered for ever in the chapters history. Or prehaps they will take with them a profit, a member of the preisthood who i said to be able to see into the close future.

Preists WS2 BS1 S 3 T 3 W1 I3 A1 LD 7 SV 6+ PTS: 10

weapons: A preist is armed with a bolt pistol and minor relic.

SPECIAL RULES
item of devotion: This could be a cross, an anointed stake or an incence burner. They count as a close combat weapon in battle but they can also be revealed once in the game allowin the squad attached to teh preist to re-roll one leadership test.
Atachment: A preist is atached to any space marine tactical or devastator squad, they must remain within 4" and takes no space on the force orginisation chart, they count as a 0-2 choice.

Scribe WS1 BS1 S 3 T 3 W1 I3 A1 LD 7 SV 6+ PTS: 10
weapons: fists (count as close combat weapon)

special rules:
Records: A scribe will record his squads every move on a sheet of parchment. Knowing this they will fight to be remembered in their chapters history. While the scribe is alive the squad sergeant will have +1 ws. If the scribe is killed the squad must take a ld test.
Atachment: See preist, count as 0-1

prophit: WS2 BS1 S 3 T 3 W1 I3 A1 LD 7 SV 6+ PTS: 15

weapons: close comabt weapon

special rules
future sight: Prophits can see into the near future, as such any cahracter they are attached to gets a 6+ invunerable save, however they can predict wrong so evry time the save is used the prophit must take a ld test, if he fails the character he is atached to will fail the save.
Atachment: must be atached to a character, the character can't take a jump pack or bike. Counts as 0-1

Squires
Some space marines will take a particularly talenetd neophyte with them into battle. These are refered to as squires, they are the ones who show potential early on and will become great marines some day.

WS3 BS2 S 3 T 3 W1 I3 A2 LD 8 SV 4+ PTS: 12

weapons: close combat weapon and bolt pistol or shotgun

Special rules:
Atachment: must be atched to a special/ independent character, count as 0-2. Characters with retinues may select a squire.
blind devotion: If teh character takes a wound he may select to allocate it to the squire instead, killing him outright

warlordgrubnatz
27-10-2005, 16:02
i took out teh battle preist and made a couple of other adjustments, how would you feel about making the scribe20 points more and making a squad hes in fearless.

TheSonOfAbbadon
28-10-2005, 22:08
All of the personal serfs, frankly, suck. I like the idea of Space Marines having personal attendants and bodyguards, but those rules SUCK, they're far over priced and the actual ideas for each kind of serf is stupid.

Also, I'm now poking you every time I see you make a spelling or grammatical error.