PDA

View Full Version : Justifying mold lines? A little comedy

Feor
29-10-2007, 04:48
Just noticed something today, this is hardly a new piece of artwork, but I've been looking at it a bit more frequently since GW put it up as an Apocalypse Desktop (and I subsequently put it up as my desktop) And I noticed something, it looks like the artist missed a few mold lines on these marines. :p

just some irrelevant artwork that happens to have more detail than your average marine, or consipiracy to give all those people who forget mold lines a convenient out? :D

The Orange
29-10-2007, 04:52
Hahaha, thats a good one. I'll have to pass that around in my gaming group.

TheNZer
29-10-2007, 04:53
Ha that's awsome.

A great laugh, cheers for showing us that.

zenjah
29-10-2007, 04:54
And to think of how much time I've wasted removing the mold lines from all my marines...

Now I need to figure out a way to put the mold lines back on!

Kveld-Ulf
29-10-2007, 05:14
That's pretty funny, definitely something I'd never notice though. I've seen enough mold lines to just generally fix the models without looking.

Sakura
29-10-2007, 05:23
Mildly average.
Those are obviously seems and recesses.
If they were mould lines it would be funny to me.

Lacondog
29-10-2007, 05:24
Hah! If everyone leaves them in place it will soon be how they are supposed to look. Eventually people will be like "Where are the thin bits of armor that stick out of the sides of your marines? They are supposed to be WYSIWYG you know"

NerdyOgre254
29-10-2007, 05:33
WH40K fluff says that the space marines are the ultimate in discipline, intelligence, skill, yada yada yada...
but if you look closely at the Marine on the back row, second from the top...
He's nodded off.
I love it! it's hilarious.

Xenocidal Maniac
29-10-2007, 05:50
Mildly average.

Wow. Judging by this and your sig, you don't seem to be a person with a very good sense of humor.

I think it's funny. I got a kick out of it. Never would have noticed it! And that is maybe my favorite 40k related illustration.

Triggerdog
29-10-2007, 06:02
I have passed this image on to the rest of my gaming posse because its that awesome.

Grimbad
29-10-2007, 06:16
WH40K fluff says that the space marines are the ultimate in discipline, intelligence, skill, yada yada yada...
He's nodded off.

Pfft. They do that all the time. If you look around, you'll see most of their faceplates are designed to look like they're yawning.

Shibboleth
29-10-2007, 06:21
Cool, I like it.
I might leave a few random marines with that bit uncleaned now. Still clean up the crest and the earpiece, but leave that helmet line. :cool:
If anyone points it out I'll point out this pic. :p
The shoulder lines don't come like that on the sprue though, but I'm sure the argument could justify some leg lines, etc.
Maybe just the upper leg...?

Edit: Actually it would make that slight difference between some of the doubled up pieces you get in large squads...

DV8
29-10-2007, 06:38
The helmet lines are definitely seams. The shoulder pad is a little funny...weird to have a seam running straight down the middle, but that's probably what the artist intended them to be (seams..not mold lines.. :P)

As to the "nodding off marine", if you'll notice, there's a Chaplain moving amongst the ranks. That particular marine is probably in prayer or reciting litanies of sort in a solemn/respectful manner.

My personal favorite is the servitor attending to the Dreadnought. The positioning of the hand/arm/prosthetics of the one closest to the bottom right (not the top of the head) looks like he's going "YOU DA MAN!"...or maybe it's just me....:p

DV8

Razor Devil
29-10-2007, 06:39
Hehe, maybe the illustrator got used to seeing his own actual model marines with mould lines, so he illustrated them. :p

utrotaren
29-10-2007, 07:11
If you look closely on the front cover (apoc book) you will see a necron in the guard army. Right under the banblade sponson. Its may by the deciver who knows?

Shibboleth
29-10-2007, 07:54
... (seams..not mold lines.. :P)Yes, I think we all knew that. ;)

As to the "nodding off marine", if you'll notice, there's a Chaplain moving amongst the ranks. That particular marine is probably in prayer or reciting litanies of sort in a solemn/respectful manner. I don't even think that's a marine. It's probably some kind of Serf moving through the ranks aswell.

UncleCrazy
29-10-2007, 10:50
I guess Space Marines really are cut from the same mold.

Mr Zephy
29-10-2007, 11:51
As to the "nodding off marine", if you'll notice, there's a Chaplain moving amongst the ranks. That particular marine is probably in prayer or reciting litanies of sort in a solemn/respectful manner.

Actually the Chaplain is moving to smack him upside the head with a turned-off rosarius...

Feor
29-10-2007, 11:59
The shoulderpad seem looked a little off to me as well at first, that was actually what clued me in to what they were. That mold line exists on most of the metal space marine models I've gotten since I started. :p

BrotherMoses
29-10-2007, 15:50
this is great. Now I have an excuse for all of the mold lines I was too lazy to cut off.

Temprus
29-10-2007, 18:00
Looking at the picture in the Apoc book, it looks like someone's kid decided to go over it with a pen and make little marks as they pleased because as you look towards the bottom, you see lots of irregular lines and circles whereas the rest of the artwork looks pretty clean and smooth. Look at the side of the beakie's helmet and his shoulder. Look at many of the visible backpacks in that same row. It is much easier to see in the book's picture than the one attached to this thread. Maybe whoever was supposed to finish the drawing had a very hard deadline to make. :D

Also, as Shibboleth said, that guy is either a serf or servitor walking in the open space between marine rows.

Edit: Oops, my bad, I was looking at the wrong lowered head. Yeah, he is either napping or praying. :D

Rabid Bunny 666
29-10-2007, 18:28
He's nodded off.

I think its more him thinking "I sacrificed my Humanity for 20 odd hours of Prayer a day, man, and they cut off my junk..."

El Presedente
29-10-2007, 18:50
If you look closely on the front cover (apoc book) you will see a necron in the guard army. Right under the banblade sponson. Its may by the deciver who knows?

my God its true, It could be a confessor or something but It certianly looks like a necron lord, odd.

ro9an
29-10-2007, 18:56
mold lines do have a useful purpose, they could be like blade's sword. For those you don't mind looking at your minis tell them to pick up them from the base cause you sharpened the mold lines to paper-cut thinness, however GW kids in store picking models up in store without your permission etc. KAPLOW paper cuts the most painfull of all cuts... lesson learned

Visionary
29-10-2007, 19:20
A story told to younger hobyists is that of the Mouldy-Man!

"You see these mould lines children, there's quite the tale about these. You see there was once a very bad hobbyist he Rules-Lawyered and cheated when he couldn't. To get back at him the other hobbyists stuck sprues all over his models. The bad hobyist was very angry and set to cut off all the sprues with a craft-knife when he slipped and cut he throat and bled to death! Now he seeks revenge as the Mouldy-Man, he puts those lines on all your models and if you don't trim them your models turn into sprue! So children always clean your mould lines and always cut away less you die like the Mouldy-Man!"

Wow to think I made that up as I went along...

ServanoTomasin
29-10-2007, 19:48
I like the sleeping marine - now we know why they have helmets....

Necron? Baneblade? Where, where? I've looked for about 10 mins and all I can see is some demented ork/human/thing in a tanith camo-cape.

Raven1
29-10-2007, 20:34
Mildly average.

Wow...what a killjoy...anyway I think it's pretty funny.

W0lf
29-10-2007, 20:37
Fairly good. however they look like chinks...

scratchbuilt
29-10-2007, 21:06
heheh, good catch. Obviously Marine armor is made in a similar fashion.

floyd pinkerton
29-10-2007, 21:16
lol:D

Can someone post a link or something about the necron on the apocalypse cover, as I can't see it

Gen.Steiner
29-10-2007, 21:27
That Necron's a Techpriest Engineseer. I'm sure of it.

Xgladar
29-10-2007, 21:52
anyone notice the middle marine in this picture has the mark VIII errant armour shoulderpad (also known as the company veteran shoulderpad)

Temprus
29-10-2007, 22:09
lol:D

Can someone post a link or something about the necron on the apocalypse cover, as I can't see it

Look at the graphic at the bottom of this page:
http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/apocalypse/book/default.htm

It is part of the same overlay used for the cover. You will see a guardsman's head on the extreme right, next to him is a hooded man with a staff, his mask looks necronish and his staff tip looks like a necron weapon tip.

On the actual cover, look just below the bottom right of the baneblade.

Visionary
29-10-2007, 22:25
Who said flayed ones were bad at fitting in :p

utrotaren
29-10-2007, 23:50
well first I was´t sure if it was a chaplain or a techpriest. But then I compared the face lines with a necron and then the darkness desended upon me.
The necrons are among us.

Alessander
30-10-2007, 00:08
I'd say the "necron" is a facemask, because there's a piping/wiring coming off the bottom of the mask.

IMHO, the "nodding off" marine just looks like he's checking his bolter (most likely out of boredom).

Gen.Steiner
30-10-2007, 00:34
The 'necron' is a Techpriest, the 'sleeping' Marine is praying. ;)

Rational explanations! Ain't they boring?

Feor
30-10-2007, 00:36
IMHO, the "nodding off" marine just looks like he's checking his bolter (most likely out of boredom).

"Duh... I wonder what dis hole's for?" *Blam*

El Presedente
30-10-2007, 00:40
The 'necron' is a Techpriest, the 'sleeping' Marine is praying. ;)

Rational explanations! Ain't they boring?

Oh come on let us have our fun!

selfconstrukt
30-10-2007, 00:41
Just goes to show how bad GW's quality has become! Even their artists can't use an eraser! LOL

The_Patriot
30-10-2007, 00:41
If you look at the 6 figures behind the sleeping marine you'll also see those guys are napping as well. :D

Razor Devil
30-10-2007, 07:09
Where? Can't see it. The sleeping marine is in the right hand side 3rd from the bottom right?

LoneSniperSG
30-10-2007, 07:29
One thing bothers me about that pic. Dread's arent that tall. But I suppose it's on some pedestal so the adepts can service it.

AbyssRaven
30-10-2007, 07:53
Its obviosu to me
the artist had a marine infornt of him. one of his own
and he himself forgot to remove the mold lines so he drew them in!

The_Patriot
30-10-2007, 14:52
Where? Can't see it. The sleeping marine is in the right hand side 3rd from the bottom right?

They're right behind him to the right.