PDA

View Full Version : vindication?

sprugly
29-10-2007, 15:25
Hey there,
i have been considering buying the linebreaker box for my standard space marine army as i think that in an ordinary sized game 3 vindicators would be damn cool and kinda scary.

The model though brings a few questions. Whats with the dozer blade? i don't want to pay the points for one and i'm not sure if i want it on the model or not. Has anyone built one without it that they could show a picture of?

Also i'm not to keen on the shell crane thing on the back. It doesn't look like it could actually do anything!

Thoughts and comments??

sprugly

floyd pinkerton
29-10-2007, 15:28
You don't have to put on either of these parts if you don't want to;)

Halcyon504
29-10-2007, 16:18
The crane on the back has a winch in it, so I assume it's used in aiding the loading of the vehicle's magazine. I'll model mine with the shell OFF though, as it wouldn't make sense to carry such a piece of ordnance so exposed in a combat zone.

LoneSniperSG
29-10-2007, 16:30
Think about what a Vindy does. Are they not on the front line serving as bulldozers, in a sense? They aren't like Whirlies, who get to scoot around in back. Vindies are up front, slogging through all the crap of battle.

If you opt to leave the dozers off, when what? Mines and difficult terrain are going to hamper your sexy Vindies.

ChaosMaster
29-10-2007, 16:35
The dozer blade is a standard bit of kit on the Vindicator; see the entry in the new Chaos Marine Codex for verification. So, you won't be paying extra points for it. Basically, they designed the new model to have the cool-looking dozer blade as a standard part of the model so the army list entry for it already takes that into account. However, if you dislike the part, there's no law that says you have to glue it on, although the vehicle benefits from this piece of standard equipment in the current rules, so if you wish to be WYSIWYG then you'd want to use it.

indylead
29-10-2007, 17:58
I left the cranes off mine as they look crap and don't make sense (why would you want a crane that can lift shells up...or down...and not load them into internal magazine? why would you want a shell swinging around on the back *outside* of your armour.

They'll make much better scenic bits for Cities of Death.

As for the 'dozer blades, I play Dark Angels, so they come for *a very small fee* for me. However, if you attach the hull part of the assembly, the 'dozer blade can then be removed if you are very careful.

L-DUB
29-10-2007, 18:12
Well Sprugly said he is playing a standard marine army, so would have to pay for the dozer blade which is not standard issue. So he could leave the dozer blade off. But do you plan on putting on the extra armor, Sprugly??? If so thats extra points too, by WYSIWYG, unless clearly stated prior to gaming that the Vindicator does not have extra armor even though it is modelled on it.

I was not excited about the crane holding the shell either. I do not think I will be using the crane at all. I probably just threw it in my bitz box for later creations. I alos will be leaving off the exhasut fans piece that covers the top rear of the tank. I mean why model the vents if you can't see them. I guess to give more options in appearance.

sprugly
29-10-2007, 19:30
yeah i think i'll end up leaving the crane off, it just seems a little stupid. I might put on the dozer just cause it looks good, maybe if as someone suggested i can get it so they'll be able to be removed if needs be.
However none of my regular opponants will worry about it as long as i tell em its not gonna be used.
Same goes for the extra armour on the sides. I suppose i could justify the dozer by saying that it reprisents the extra point of armour on the front of the vehicle compared to the rhino, and i could just clain that its not "extra armour" just a slightly different model of armour on the sides.
As for the extractor fans on the back of the hull. i might put those only on the command tank of the three to make it seem a little different. i know it won't have any extra rules ina standard game but it'll be cool to have a command tank anyway!!

sprugly

CommisarMolotov
29-10-2007, 20:24
I left the cranes off mine as they look crap and don't make sense (why would you want a crane that can lift shells up...or down...and not load them into internal magazine? why would you want a shell swinging around on the back *outside* of your armour.

That crane looks like a nod to the old German "Sturmtiger" heavy self-propelled gun. Check out this picture of them using the crane to load a shell inside the tank:

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/images/sttig_ld.jpg

Raven1
29-10-2007, 20:39
That crane looks like a nod to the old German "Sturmtiger" heavy self-propelled gun. Check out this picture of them using the crane to load a shell inside the tank:

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/images/sttig_ld.jpg

The picture doesn't take me anywhere, nothing a white screen with this post's url

to be on topic, you don't have to use if you don't want to use it. Like another said for the crane. It's stupid being on the outside.

lord_blackfang
29-10-2007, 22:07
You can find a WIP pic here that shows the cannon without the dozer:
http://uk.games-workshop.com/apocalypse/assembling-vindicator/2/

Halcyon504
30-10-2007, 16:26
Here's pics of the vehicle that Commissar Molotov was trying to show:

You can easily see the crane on top of the fighting compartment. That crane was used to load in the MASSIVE shells the Sturmtiger fired into the fighting compartment. This here I feel is legitimization for the Vindicator having the crane. The internal magazine of the Vindy must be VERY limited due to the size of the parent vehicle(The Rhino), so the crane is used in the assistance of loading the probably heavy shells into the weapon's magazine when the vehicle's own store runs out. The crane would NOT carry spare shells around like a car does an extra fuel tank. Realistically, the crane would simply be used when a ammunition carrier rolls by while the Vindicator is on the firing line, OR, when the vehicle is in a depot, the crane would be used in assistance of loading. It would never have a shell just hangin' around in the middle of combat.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/SlavkoJurik/1-6th-sturmtiger-2036b.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/SlavkoJurik/sturmtiger-01.jpg

LoneSniperSG
30-10-2007, 16:52
"In the beginning, the Emporer said "Let there be war", and Vindicators came to be, and he saw that they were good."

... >.>;

Snipafist
30-10-2007, 17:06
You should definitely include the dozer blade, as it allows your vindie to move 6" a turn, huddle in some terrain, and fire. Keeping your vindicator hull down as much as possible is a prerequisite to getting any kind of extended use out of it, and the dozer blade helps immeasurably for few points.

Marsekay
30-10-2007, 17:23
well if you wanna see the diff with it on or off here you go
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y111/marsekay/vind1.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y111/marsekay/vindicatorsdone004.jpg

i assebled the parts seperately and made sure they were well varnished (testors dullcote)
the varnish helps stop them getting damaged if i take the blade on or off

LoneSniperSG
30-10-2007, 17:43
Marsekay, that's one of the best yellow paintjobs I've ever seen

Grazzy
30-10-2007, 18:29
I have 3 vindis and it rocks!!! I would take smoke, EA and maybe a dozer blade, with PotMS if you have spare points.

Hellfury
30-10-2007, 19:59
Smoke, PotMS are the only things you ever need equip your vindy with.

I also personally hate the dozerblade as well, but since I play almost exclusively in an urban environment, its is a default choice in that environment.