PDA

View Full Version : Characters fighting in a skirmish line

MarcoPollo
13-04-2005, 18:30
I am currently using beastmen but this question can apply to almost any skirmisher warfare like skinks and skaven or huntsmen etc.

I know that one of the advantages of characters fighting in a skirmish line can chose where they line up in battle formation as long as the command is in the middle. What I want to know is what happens if you have two skirmish lines fighting. Who chooses the position of their characters first? The charger or the chargee?

The second question relating to this is how to handle the clutter that occurs between two large skirmishing lines fighting each other. These line, by the rules can stretch for several feet and really mess up the flow of the game.

Does anyone use some sort of house rules or a max frontage when two large skirmishing units fight it out? Or do you live (and die) by the rules?

daryl_ks
14-04-2005, 04:17
HAve no idea...

But would like to know the answer so I'll give this a bit of a BUMP...

Cheers!

Daryl

Sylass
14-04-2005, 04:22
Strictly speaking I think it would work the following way (working from memory cause I'm stuck at work):

Beastmen charge -> 1 Beastmen is placed in contact with an enemy skirmisher -> Skirmishers rank up against that single beastmen -> Beastmen rank up at least 4 minis wide against the front of the skirmishers.

Skirmishers charge -> 1 Skirmisher is placed in contact with 1 Beastman -> Beastmen rank up 4 minis wide -> Skirmishers rank up.

First scenario should favour the charging Beastmen (most likely more miniatures in contact), last scenario favours the charging skirmishers when it comes to models in a fighting position.

In case of 2 skirmishing units it's about the same I think, you just don't have a min. number of models needed to rank up.

Dose this make sense? :)

Festus
14-04-2005, 17:39
I know that one of the advantages of characters fighting in a skirmish line can chose where they line up in battle formation as long as the command is in the middle. What I want to know is what happens if you have two skirmish lines fighting. Who chooses the position of their characters first? The charger or the chargee?

The Rulebook gives an answer here:
The charging Skirmishers move the first model into contact. Then all other charging skirmishers withing charge distance are formed into a skirmish line. The rest joins up in the rear ranks.

Then the defending Skirmishers are brought to the Skirmish line, up to the maximum defending models.
The rest joins behind.

The second question relating to this is how to handle the clutter that occurs between two large skirmishing lines fighting each other. These line, by the rules can stretch for several feet and really mess up the flow of the game.

By the rules of WHFB the Skirmish line can only stretch up to half the maximum charge move of the fastest unit. This is 10", as there is nothing faster then flyers IIRC.
Apart from that, the number of skirmishers in the units restrict it to usally no more than 10 bases max, which usually is 200mm, just under 8".

Greetings
Festus

daryl_ks
14-04-2005, 19:37
there you have it...

Cheers!

Daryl

MarcoPollo
14-04-2005, 20:03
Thats a great help.

Thanks