PDA

View Full Version : Apocalypse picture changes!

floyd pinkerton
29-10-2007, 21:20
I don't think I'm allowed to post pictures because of copyright, but if you look at the actual apocalypse rulebook, you will see that there are guardsmen in front of the baneblade in the artwork on the cover

However, on the fold-out in the UK apocalypse WD, it is swamped by orks.

GW using good ol' Photoshop?

superknijn
29-10-2007, 21:25
It's also on the Wallpapers and such. omeone even spotted a Necron, but I've got that covered with an Icon.

IJW
29-10-2007, 21:27
Commercial illustrations such as this often go through a whole series of revisions until the art director signs it off for use. We usually only see the final version, though.

Maarten
29-10-2007, 21:31
It's not surprising to see GW using photoshop (or equivalent). After all, how else would they get those nifty pictures on the boxfronts? ;)

sigur
29-10-2007, 21:35
The niftyness of said pictures is disputable but they got better in the last months. Anyway, the most prominent example that comes to my mind is the picture of the IG company with every single infantry squad being copy-pasted next to each other.:)

floyd pinkerton
29-10-2007, 21:37
or Owen Rees's drop troop IG with the copy-and-pasted second valkyrie:D

Some guy (UK)
29-10-2007, 22:53
The main one I've seen is on the Cities of Death cover- the main Vostroyan wears a hat. Yet the tin dice, or something similar, he just wears a helmet, with no fur top.

At least they are getting better at it. I'm still not a fan of the photoshop boxes for the most part. The only ones that do it are the Guard tank boxes, as they look quite atmospheric to me.

Green Shoes
29-10-2007, 23:26
For the Guard to Ork transition, they could have just removed the actual IG models and put Orks in their place. Its not like the ones left standing are going to tire and slump in their spots!

Freakiq
29-10-2007, 23:33
For the Guard to Ork transition, they could have just removed the actual IG models and put Orks in their place. Its not like the ones left standing are going to tire and slump in their spots!

OP said it was on the front cover artwork.

TeddyC
29-10-2007, 23:39
i had heard a lot of the stuff is photoshopped when there is large amounts of models and it doesnt surprise me TBH.... the one example given was the grey knight termies against the hordes of bloodletters and a few bloodthirsters however the ice planet battle with all the nids over that refinery type place istn photoshopped and they are all actual models

utrotaren
29-10-2007, 23:42
Front cover of apoc book a necron hide amongs his imperial friends. Right under the baneblade sponson.:chrome:

sigur
29-10-2007, 23:51
At least they are getting better at it. I'm still not a fan of the photoshop boxes for the most part. The only ones that do it are the Guard tank boxes, as they look quite atmospheric to me.

For me it's less about the atmosphere but more about actually seeing what's in the box/ what the minis look like. And that one was quite an issue when the SM boxes along with 4th edition codex were released because there was all laser beams and fog which made it hard to see a thing.

utrotaren
29-10-2007, 23:54
But aint there a good description on the back of the box?

Col.Gravis
30-10-2007, 01:22
Back of the box? Surely you mean the back of the book ;)

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war."

Nice editing ;)

As to the moving Guard, yeah, its photoshopping alright, they're moved back (or perhaps forward) to beneath the Command Tank in the far right - including the Necron looking character, curious lol, I'd say it was an Enginseer, but he lacks a servo arm.

Some guy (UK)
30-10-2007, 17:31
For me it's less about the atmosphere but more about actually seeing what's in the box/ what the minis look like. And that one was quite an issue when the SM boxes along with 4th edition codex were released because there was all laser beams and fog which made it hard to see a thing.

Oh I do agree, but that is why I said only the Guard tanks. Its not too far over done unlike the marine boxes, and unlike troop sets, it is clearer what you are getting (i.e one item- a tank), even with a little muzzle flash, explosions etc.