PDA

View Full Version : Canadian GW players - BUY NOW

Fletch
30-10-2007, 15:57
It's purely economics folks, with the recent decline of the US currency compared to Canadian currency, i.e. the US dollar is for the first time in over 45 years worth LESS than the Canadian dollar.

Thats right you Canuks, run across the border, hit EBAY for every US auction and buy buy buy it now while you can.

Why buying something GW in Canada now you pay X, which is typically priced about 44% more than it's US equivilant. Meaning if the US price is $100USD you pay up in the great white north at your local store or Canada GW, $140CAD. (Just compare the US GW online shopping to the GW Canadian online shoping prices and see how much you can save.)

I was wondering why I was seeing EBAY auctions for Forgeworld items selling slightly or not so slightly over US retail but then I realized, worldwide they are still buying it at a huge discount over what they would be paying in thier home country. So when you (Canadians) buy that big Eldar Titan retailing for $320USD on ebay for $330USD you end up paying (current conversion rate as of post date 1USD = .95CAD) or roughly $313 Canadian dollars, now compare what you would normally pay in Canada.

Bad for the US buyers but good for US sellers
Great for Canadian buyers, but bad for Canadian sellers.

This also applies to the Euro and Pound (i.e. the USD being abnormally weaker) but shipping is usually higher between the states and the those across the pond, so the overall savings may not be as good and usually limited to online auctions, since you just can't drive down across the border to save HUGE shopping at a US GW retailer.

****edited for clarity****

leonmallett
30-10-2007, 16:00
It's purely economics folks, with the recent decline of the US currency compared to Canadian currency, i.e. the dollar is for the first time in over 45 years worth LESS than the Canadian dollar.

Thats right you Canuks, run across the border, hit EBAY for every US auction and buy buy buy it now while you can.

Why buying something GW in Canada now you pay X, which is typically priced about 44% more than it's US equivilant. Meaning if the US price is $100USD you pay up in the great white north at your local store or Canada GW, $140Canadian.

I was wondering why I was seeing EBAY auctions for Forgeworld items selling slightly or not so slightly over US retail but then I realized, worldwide they are still buying it at a huge discount over what they would be paying. So when you (Canadians) buy that big Eldar Titan retailing for $320USD on ebay for $330USD you end up paying (current conversion rate 1USD = .95CP) or roughly $313 Canadian, now compare what you would normally pay in Canada.

Bad for the US buyers but good for US sellers
Great for Canadian buyers, but bad for Canadian sellers.

This also applies to the Euro and Pound but shipping is usually higher between the states and the those across the pond.

You'd be surprised. I bought 6 bags of 40mm round bases from the US fro about £18 GBP including shipping (normally £24 GBP in the UK until they were withdrawn from sale).

Crube
30-10-2007, 16:05
Isnt there something about taxes on purchases made in Canada form the USA...

Fletch
30-10-2007, 16:11
Isnt there something about taxes on purchases made in Canada form the USA...

Not that I am aware of. I am almost positive that you cannot purchase from GW US via online when you live outside the US. This was a policy GW changed a few years ago. You use to be able to purchase things from GW England and have them shipped here (N. America) to get them earlier as the release dates in GW England were typically at least a month ahead of N. America, but that has stopped. If you have a ship to address outside the geographical boundries of the site you are dealing with you will be directed to your local GW online establishment.

Taxes do not apply to online auctions like EBAY.

If you drive down to a US store say just across the border (or any store in the US) you will pay regular US state sales taxes (based on the state you are buying in) which again are much less than you pay in Canada. (made even less due to the exchange rate)

Crube
30-10-2007, 16:12
Ah ok... just me misundertanding things as normal... ;)

Fletch
30-10-2007, 16:22
No biggie.

I have read a lot of Canadian GW players complaining as of late about GW Canada and the state of things etc. (Like how we in the US feel when GW England releases things weeks in advance of N. America) Well now is your time to take advantage of something to be happy about, that being how well your Canadian dollar is doing in the N. American economic marketplace.

GO BUY GW stuff at a fraction of what you were paying just a few months ago.

gilvagor
30-10-2007, 16:36
As a Canadian and as a retailer of Games Workshop I completely understand how Canadians feel about taking up the thrusters with GW's pricing. However something that is rarely considered is if Canadians on mass buy from the US do you honestly expect to play at your local game store?. Eventually those stores will be forced to stop carrying Games Workshop and stop supporting their products and focus their energies into other areas. There are plenty of Online stores in Canada that offer 20% to 30% off. While I would love for everyone in Canada to get together and do a complete Ban on GW for a Week or Two (this includes all stores) to bring it to GW's attention that their pricing is completely insane and will quickly kill sales in Canada (as most major cities in Canada are very close to the US Border). Canadians are not stupid when it comes to pricing. GW realized that so they started the Canadian Edition of White Dwarf so they didn't put US pricing. Even when the Canadian Dollar was horrible the price spread between a battle force was never $60 (Battleforce @70US vs 130CN).

If you talk to any sales rep for GW Canada the fight is gone...they know that GW is ripping off Canadians and GW has absolutely no plans to change their pricing. Now January/February is when GW normally does their price hikes so we'll see then but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Hicks
30-10-2007, 16:59
Hi

I just want to clarify some things. Yes you can order from the US GW store if you live in Canada, I did it last week. The only thing you have to keep in mind is that the cost of shipping is pretty high (I was ordering bits and the shipping was fixed at $20,30, independantly of how many things I would order).

You can be hit by customs when you order things outside of Canada, but it has to be worth over a certain amount, $60 I think. With eBay it's not much of a problem since the seller often lists the package as a gift. GW will not do that, so be prepared to pay taxes on what you buy.

Also, the customs can sometimes open your package and inspect the content. When this happens, the package won't get to your doorstep for a long while and it costs a lot to get it back. This is a rare event though and with the huge increase in packages coming from outside the country, the custom people will have even less time to do that so it's pretty safe right now. Remember that it's not just GW that's charging us Canadians loads more than for other countries. As an example, if I were to buy a new car, I'd make the jump down south!

Is it still worth it, yes! That' how crazy GW Canada prices are. If it's not metal bits you're after, buy your stuff from a discount retailer located in the US. You will pay your stuff more than 50% cheaper in some case.

As for people not supporting their LGS, a lot of us don't even have access to one. If I had a place to go to where I could play of course I would buy from them, but I just spent $250 on a transportable gaming table so gaming at home it is.

thearchiver
31-10-2007, 12:03
The saving to be had buying from the US donít just apply to Canadians right now but everybody outside the US seeing the greenback is screwed.

For example:

Here in Australia a Baneblade sells for AUS$160, now buying it from other GW online stores

Australia $160 AUS $160
UK 60pound AUS $134
Germany& France 95EUR AUS $148
Canada 95CAD AUS $107
USA 95USD AUS $102

So depending on import taxes/duties and shipping costs I think it's something that anyone with a big shopping list should crunch some numbers on. (from what I can see shipping on 1 baneblade is $11 so its still around 25% cheaper to buy from the US than here in OZ)

And just so the aussies know you may be required to pay GST on anything you import over the value of AUD$250. (and yes you can get around this by making 2x$200 purchases instead of 1x $400 one)

Jedi152
31-10-2007, 12:19
(Like how we in the US feel when GW England releases things weeks in advance of N. America)
To be fair we design and manufacture the buggers (well, design at least - don't you guys have a production facility in Knoxville TN or somewhere?)

Remember GW is a British company, making British products for the British market. You lot in the colonies are just an afterthought! :D

GW screw us over anyway. Everyone pays less than us, and has sales, store auctions and the like.

thearchiver
31-10-2007, 13:44
GW screw us over anyway. Everyone pays less than us, and has sales, store auctions and the like.

Look above you, we Australians are paying 10pound more for a baneblade, thats 20% more than UK prices.

Andyalloverdaplace
31-10-2007, 16:00
As a Canadian and as a retailer of Games Workshop I completely understand how Canadians feel about taking up the thrusters with GW's pricing. However something that is rarely considered is if Canadians on mass buy from the US do you honestly expect to play at your local game store?. Eventually those stores will be forced to stop carrying Games Workshop and stop supporting their products and focus their energies into other areas. There are plenty of Online stores in Canada that offer 20% to 30% off. While I would love for everyone in Canada to get together and do a complete Ban on GW for a Week or Two (this includes all stores) to bring it to GW's attention that their pricing is completely insane and will quickly kill sales in Canada (as most major cities in Canada are very close to the US Border). Canadians are not stupid when it comes to pricing. GW realized that so they started the Canadian Edition of White Dwarf so they didn't put US pricing. Even when the Canadian Dollar was horrible the price spread between a battle force was never $60 (Battleforce @70US vs 130CN).

If you talk to any sales rep for GW Canada the fight is gone...they know that GW is ripping off Canadians and GW has absolutely no plans to change their pricing. Now January/February is when GW normally does their price hikes so we'll see then but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I appreciate your problem friend. Now appreciate mine. I have a wife, who also reads the paper. She knows every bit as well as I do that Canadian retailers, as a whole, are having to charge dramatically higher prices than various online stores. If I go and spend an extra 40-60% on a model because I couldn't wait for mail order, she's going to give me that look, the one that says "I married the stupidest man on earth". And that look tends to shut down any chance for nookie in the near future.

I'm not buying any GW product until after Christmas, at that point I'll actually have some cash to spend, and the Space Orks will be released. With any luck they won't raise prices in the US until after that.

gilvagor
31-10-2007, 16:49
Don't get me wrong. I completely understand the savings difference. Believe me I do. For some things buying it from the US is cheaper than my cost.

I think the whole Canadian dollar thing has shaken up every retailer in Canada. It's going to take some time to get pricing inline with the current currency.

I've also read that Canada and the US will be putting in some form of legislation about buying cars from another country. The Automotive industry has been decimated by the exchange. I've read that some manufacturers are talking about not honoring warranties if it's from another country (ie if a Canadian gets a car from a US dealership the warranty is invalid in Canada).

I just wanted to draw attention that it's not your local game store that's screwing you over with GW prices. Support you lgs...and buy online :p

Andyalloverdaplace
31-10-2007, 16:55
Well, in a gesture of solidarity, I buy my paints and brushes from the local, as opposed to the GW store here in town. I'm not going to wait 2 weeks to save a dollar on chaos black.

Thoth62
31-10-2007, 17:25
I've also read that Canada and the US will be putting in some form of legislation about buying cars from another country. The Automotive industry has been decimated by the exchange. I've read that some manufacturers are talking about not honoring warranties if it's from another country (ie if a Canadian gets a car from a US dealership the warranty is invalid in Canada).

It's already happening in some cases. Bombardier is not allowing American retailers of their products to sell to Canadians. Any Canadian who buys one of their snow machines south of the border will have their warrenties voided by Bombardier. They say its to protect Canadian retailers, but some people will still go south if it means saving upwards of $800 on their purchase.

VetSgtNamaan
31-10-2007, 17:51
The whole buy form the us is not about saving on a single paint. More like buying 2 ravenwing battleforces for the price of one local. I like my local indie but they are a business not a charity so I see no reason to pay substantial higher prices just for the privilidge of shopping locally.

Andyalloverdaplace
31-10-2007, 17:56
It's already happening in some cases. Bombardier is not allowing American retailers of their products to sell to Canadians. Any Canadian who buys one of their snow machines south of the border will have their warrenties voided by Bombardier. They say its to protect Canadian retailers, but some people will still go south if it means saving upwards of $800 on their purchase.

I heard that, it really frosted me, given the amount of tax dollars that have gone to Bombardier over the years, just to have them turn around and put the screws to us. The fact they tend to back the bloc and PQ doesn't endear them to me in the first place.

My LGS sells a lot of other stuff, but they have a wall that is just sitting there, and since the local GW rep can't get him the splash releases on time, I've opined to him several times that he may as well just wait things out.

carlisimo
31-10-2007, 18:27
I've read about the problems in the automotive retail industry up there, figures it'd hit everything else too.

Now if I understand correctly... Canadian paychecks can still buy all the Canadian-priced stuff that they could buy before, it's just that they can get screaming deals by buying in the US, right?

Less sympathy from me if that's the case!

Thoth62
31-10-2007, 18:55
I wouldn't expect any sympathy from you. It's your economy that's getting all kinds of money injected into it by us Canadians. It's our own economy, retailers and exporters that are being hurt by it.

Andyalloverdaplace
31-10-2007, 19:16
I've read about the problems in the automotive retail industry up there, figures it'd hit everything else too.

Now if I understand correctly... Canadian paychecks can still buy all the Canadian-priced stuff that they could buy before, it's just that they can get screaming deals by buying in the US, right?

Less sympathy from me if that's the case!

If someone told you that you get to spend 40 to 60 % more on something because you live 5 miles north of your states border, you probably would just go across that border and buy it there, right? Even if the reason for the difference was a sales tax to support your local schools.

Well, we get to spend 40 to 60% more on a lot of things just because we are on the wrong side of the border. A lot of companies didn't bother to adjust their pricing in a gradual manner as the two currencies moved to parity, and now, because they failed to plan, they are trying every trick in the book, including getting laws written, to compensate for their screw up. It's not like this just happened in an afternoon, it's taken 5 years for the loonie to move from 6/10ths of a dollar to parity.

In GW's case, they could have painlessly tweaked the prices each year when they did their annual adjustments, which would have left them at roughly 15% out of kilter instead of 40-60%, and had a considerably easier time.

Vic
31-10-2007, 21:57
The US could benefit from the lower dollar value IF we still had manufacturing in this country. Unfortunately, we sent everything to China or India or Taiwan or.......

insaniak
31-10-2007, 22:36
And just so the aussies know you may be required to pay GST on anything you import over the value of AUD$250. (and yes you can get around this by making 2x$200 purchases instead of 1x $400 one)

It's actually $1000. Used to be $250, but was increased a few years ago.

thearchiver
01-11-2007, 05:43
Well heres the tricky bit its $1000 for postal goods and $250 by any other means.

So you have to make sure who is going to handle the delivery of goods as it comes into Australia.