PDA

View Full Version : Lizards VS Woodelves.

White Tiger
08-09-2005, 14:10
Today I'll be going up against a woodelf player known for bringing cheesey armies.
He has the new woodelf army book too.

How can I as a lizard player counter his play style.
(I should also note he's a real warhammer vet)

RdDragon5
08-09-2005, 14:30
Salamanders are your new best friends. Not only do they cause automatic hits on those skirmishers he has, but they're fire attacks doing extra damage to dryads, tree men, and anything made out of bark.

Also try feilding a decent number of skinks. The poison will hurt those lightly armoured elves, and Javelins will hit on 4+, or 5+ on skimishers. Also the scouting skinks will make a mess of his own plans to scout.

Large packs of saurus can also help, especially if they have hand weapon/shield combo, plus spawning of quetzl. Just remember that you'll probly loose a lot of your poor saurus to arrows, so units of 20 are probly a good size.

Some terradons could also help you tie up his shooting ratherquickly. Same goes for a scar-vet with the jaguar charm, or skink chief with cloak of feathers.

Don't try to out magic an elf. Take along a skink preist with diamdem of power so you can get an extra two dispel dice, and depending on the size of the game, a second skink scroll caddy.

A small unit of kroxigors can help draw some attention. Talk smack about how your going to crush is unit of glade gaurd with the kroxigors and watch half his army spend a turn or two trying t kill them.

Well thats all I can think of for now. Hope it helps you out. Let me know how the battle goes.

DrkAp0stle
08-09-2005, 14:41
Scar Vet. with jaguar Charm will be your best friend, 1st turn if u cant charge get him behind some cover, 2nd turn charge into a unit on his flanks and let the scar vet do his thing.

Salamanders, I believe a unit of swarms could be pretty good. Throw then at a unit of archers or glade guard and watch them do their thing.

-Ap0stle

GranFarfar
08-09-2005, 19:17
Well actually. Since dryads only have 1 wound, fire is of no effect. And treeman and treekin are T6 3+save and T54+ save. So salas will not help you there. But they do are beutifull against his skirmishers.

And with skinks I find it that his skirmishers will eat out the heart of yourīs.

Other than that I would recomend the "move through wood" spawning on your saurus regiments. Really helpfull. Trust me.

What you really need to worry about is a treeman ancient with anoyance of netlings. There is as far as I can see no good way for lizzies to handle this monster. I recomend trying to keep him busy with swarms(wonīt hold him for long, just hope it is long enough)

And donīt underestimate that 18 inch move of the wild riders.

Shortly protect your salas with your saurus, make him come to you. His biggest problem is your heavy infantry.

Thundergod
30-09-2005, 20:38
as a quick aside- dryads are not actually flamable, and as pointed out, if they were, it wouldn't do much anyway.

Gabacho Mk.II
01-10-2005, 06:59
I would rely on a refused flank, with a decent amount of Skink units (around 4, 1 scouting), and at least 9 units in total in order to have enough flexability for the endgame.

What RedDragon suggested makes the most sense. I have to second his thoughts.

- Considering Sallies though, I wouldnt field more than a unit of 2. Otherwise, they are easily countered with cavalry/magic.

- A small unit (3) of Terradons might work, if protected nicely. I ran 2 units of 3 in my both games, and they proved themselves many times over...

The best defense against WElves would be (IMO) a strong, defensive game, with enough Lizard bodies (wounds) so that you have enough of a lasting force in order to contest quarters and the sort.

A unit of 5/6 cold ones would also be an incentive, but since I havent gamed more than 2 battles against WElves, I cant be that positive on this remark.

Rounds 1 - 4 Defense
Rounds 5 - 6 Strike back, limited offense

Aim for a tie, play defensively, and keep an eye out for any traps as well as openings for you to exploit if possible.

By all means, DONT walk into his side of the table looking for a 'fair fight.' This will not materialize, and you will greatly penalized at the end of the battle for your arrogance.

Muffin Man
01-10-2005, 10:05
Scar Vet. with jaguar Charm will be your best friend, 1st turn if u cant charge get him behind some cover, 2nd turn charge into a unit on his flanks and let the scar vet do his thing.

Salamanders, I believe a unit of swarms could be pretty good. Throw then at a unit of archers or glade guard and watch them do their thing.

-Ap0stle

That's an interesting image, the Nike Saurus vs. the Alter Noble. Two kitted out close combat monsters with a 9" M, that should be interesting to play out, if you both take one that is.

Screening the sallies behinds swarms doesn't help against shooting however, which I would image is the bigger threat to them? And they're best shooting at his skirmishers not the glade guard; I would say Wardancers, those really can cause havok on the charge.

The spawning that lets you ignore woods might be nice, he won't be the only one using woods to his advantage that way.

Odd, I never noticed how much the Lizardman army could mimic the WElves. They also have the only hit and run units in the game right? Creepy.

Wintersdark
01-10-2005, 19:32
If he manages to field a cheesy wood elf list, post it. I'm still trying to figure out a way to cheese out woodies.

Well made book there.

Tormentor of Slaanesh
01-10-2005, 21:00
basically do a mega skink horde, their shooting will be partially neutralised. with woodies you can cause lots of panic tests, they'll fail some.

Wintersdark
01-10-2005, 22:12
basically do a mega skink horde, their shooting will be partially neutralised. with woodies you can cause lots of panic tests, they'll fail some.That really depends on his list.

A Dryad heavy force would have a skink horde for lunch. Immune to psych, cause fear (and likely be upgraded to terror from time to time). Considering the Skinks would have to be constantly on the move (to avoid getting smashed right away) and firing at a skirmished unit (-2 to hit) they'd not get too many hits, and could never cause panic.

In combat, the dryads would smash the skinks to lil bits :)

Woodie scouts and Wardancers could meet the skinks quite easily, then both sides would be making panic tests... Woodies are better at that than skinks :)

I do think Lizardmen could do fine against Woodies, but a skink horde? Meh... I don't think that would work out so well.

You'd be best off with either a balanced force, or a crazy-magic-heavy Slann force with the Slann + skinks hurling lots of magic missiles - the bane of Wood Elves.

Hakstege
02-10-2005, 08:01
Ehm...White Tiger already played his battle. About 20 days ago. No use to give him more info on that specific battle, I think.

I do want to know, how his battle ended up.

Wintersdark
02-10-2005, 15:03
Ehm...White Tiger already played his battle. About 20 days ago. No use to give him more info on that specific battle, I think.

I do want to know, how his battle ended up.

Yeah, but it stopped being out his battle then and just became a general discussion at that point.

I want to know how it worked out too, though :)

fubukii
02-10-2005, 16:41
easy battle kill his skrimishers with sallys, your scar vet/oldblood should be able to tool around some elves in cc. Also skink posion is useful. try to keep up with him and get him into combat your army is better suited there (most likely)