PDA

View Full Version : Teleporters

Phunting
08-09-2005, 14:28
Just some quick questions on telporters...

These seem relatively underused pieces of machinery, is there any reason for this? I can't say I've heard of anything in other than power/terminator armour using them, is it the case that only they can? If this is the case why? Would it not be possible to incorporate whatever is used in power armour for the machinery into more lightweight armour for use by others, especially assassins?

Kage2020
08-09-2005, 14:35
The normal 'fudge' is to describe them as rare, archaeotechnological devices of wonder from the Dark/Golden Age of Technology.

And it's not power armour that is necessary for the teleporter to function. Rather they are always being described as being used by the Marines. Consider one of the Ragnar novels that have unarmoured (or mostly ;)) Inquisitors using the 'teleport beacon' as a signal 'lock on' for the teleporter. Thing 'comm badges' and Star Trek.

Kage

Brimstone
08-09-2005, 14:36
The technology is ancient and not fully understood. In addition it's pretty clunky with the actual teleport machinery being incorporated into starships etc.

Not to mention the contact with the warp.

Marine power armour doesn't incorporate anything for teleporters.

Nurglitch_PS
08-09-2005, 14:39
You may look up an old "Displacer Field" wargear card from the 2nd ed :)

Khaine's Messenger
08-09-2005, 14:51
These seem relatively underused pieces of machinery, is there any reason for this?

The general reason for this is the limitations of (Imperial) teleporter technology, which is more generally a limitation of their sensor tech. EG, teleporters cannot be used to travel significant distances on a planet's surface, because at extreme ranges the curvature and mass of the planet interferes with the sensors' ability to pinpoint a destination (it could also have to do with "mass shadow" theories and the permeability thereof), but the primary one is that it is a ridiculously complicated technology that is a) dependant on traversing the warp with nary a Gellar Field to be found, and b) sequestered away by the AdMech to be wheeled out as a way to pull one's **** out of the fire when a story cannot be resolved in any way except hastily (eg, the Titan teleporter in Iron Hands).

I can't say I've heard of anything in other than power/terminator armour using them

Plenty of examples; the servitors and tech priests in Soul Drinker, for example (and I believe there was one in another BL book who drably noted the teleportation field had left a chunk of his arm behind due to the cutoff radius/bubble of the field). Not that, imho, it is especially limited to power/terminator armor, but those who wear those things are generally better inured to the hazards of the warp than Guardsmen. It'd be pretty sweet to teleport around whole regiments, but teleporters large enough to do this simultaneously would be such immmobile power hogs and would invite such disaster should they catastrophically fail that one might as well not bother unless one wants to handwave at the grandeur and scale of a particular thing (again, the Titan-sized teleporter mentioned above) in reference to some distant, lost golden age.

Of course, it's not that they probably couldn't build a teleporter to throw whole regiments around...it's just that no one, at present, is insane enough to try.

is it the case that only they can?

They can probably do it best, due to the incorporation of systems that might shield or direct them in transit, but I see little reason to assume that "only" they can.

Would it not be possible to incorporate whatever is used in power armour for the machinery into more lightweight armour for use by others, especially assassins?

Even Marines teleport with a great deal of trepidation and prayer (it is, after all, a rather spiritual/supernatural experience, much like the von Lubeck device (http://www.geocities.com/thesnarkhunt/gearkrieg/vonlubeck.html) or the Gates of the Doom series)--Lysander, a rather "mighty" marine by many Marine standards, can enumerate the approximate number of times he's teleported on one hand if each finger is a ten, and he's considered a master in the trade of teleportation (his special rule).

Philip S
08-09-2005, 15:13
Just some quick questions on telporters...

These seem relatively underused pieces of machinery, is there any reason for this? I can't say I've heard of anything in other than power/terminator armour using them, is it the case that only they can? If this is the case why? Would it not be possible to incorporate whatever is used in power armour for the machinery into more lightweight armour for use by others, especially assassins?
Teleporters could be using a similar technology to Tau skim drives, but instead of moving a ship it moves a person. Tau skim drives are FTL, so to a person a quick skim drive jump would seem to be instant.

Range for a displacer field armour is dependant on power in the equipment, with Terminators they arenít taking the drive with them, so the range may be limited to how far the drive can push them (and may use up an awful lot of power to do this).

It may not be used because it is a tad dangerous? One D/GAoT originals are trusted?

Philip

FieronThor
08-09-2005, 17:36
Teleporters would also need a large amount of energy so therefore need large power sources like thosein power armour and terminator armour.

Flame Boy
08-09-2005, 19:27
The second novel mentioned to describe non-power armoured people using teleporters was Fire Warrior. One of the Tech Priests teleported seemed facinated that several of his colleagues had been disassembled and turned into a messy border around the perimeter of the teleportation field radius, and his arm had been amputated at the elbow.

The procedure is dangerous whether you are in Terminator armour or a loincloth, but you can't be too careful when you're using such an unreliable device.

unwanted
08-09-2005, 21:37
@ FieronThor: Neither Power Armour, nor Terminator Armour, contains teleporters...

The teleporters of 40K are stationary machines, presumably like Star Trek teleporters, though much less stable...

And Enormous teleporters do exist, just look at the plentiful descriptions of the Ork Tellyportas of Piscina and Armageddon...

Edited with the sole purpose of making sense :rolleyes:

FieronThor
08-09-2005, 22:17
Oh whoops my fault. Also from the old Horus Heresy fluff it mentions that Horus was able to manipulate the teleportation streams such that Dorn, Sanguinius and the Emperor were at different places in the ship when initially they meant to be together. I think that means that Imperial teleport tech is based on the Warp.

Shas'o'Fior
09-09-2005, 05:40
read Iron hands, theres a big teleportarium at the end of the book

Minister
09-09-2005, 09:13
There should be spoiler tags about now, reguarding Daemonfuge
A Culexus Assassin was teleported for the final combat with Ephrael Stern, which means both that Assassins do use the tech, and that it is possible to transport even Psychic Abominations, so the warp manipulation (which is is known to be) must be fairly robust.

In any case, the Imperial Navy also uses such devices to mount hit-and-run attacks against opposing ships (although shields must be taken down first), and I can't see armsmen in anything heavier than carapace.

Nurglitch_PS
09-09-2005, 10:24
I think that means that Imperial teleport tech is based on the Warp.

Of course it is. Any, not just Imperial - read the description of Warp Spiders for one.

Bruen
09-09-2005, 10:56
Khaine's Messenger hit this one on the head:

a) dependant on traversing the warp with nary a Gellar Field to be found

That really isn't something that you want to do unless absolutly necessary, and even then regular people would probably go insane.

Brother Othorio
17-09-2005, 23:54
okay a bit late.. but hey its still only a week

I think that means that Imperial teleport tech is based on the Warp. quite definately, and not only imperial, in 2e 40k if there were unsummoned daemons in a chaos army list whenever an opposing non-chaos model* used teleportation there was a 1 in 6 chance of the model being possessed (Advanced Space Crusade had a somewhat similar rule, whenever a squad of terminators teleported there was a 1 in 12 chance that one of their number would be lost in the warp ~ tho that may have been down to the warp shadow of the hive fleet)

*excluding Grey Knights & Inquisitors, whose blessed armour protected them

Phunting
19-09-2005, 15:53
Thanks all. Yeah vague recollections about that all, shame it's such an underused tech.