PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to completely destroy a Thousand Son?

Voltaire
30-10-2007, 21:04
Greetings one and all,

As many of you know, the rubric of Ahriman rid the legion of all its mutations and sealed all none sorcerous marines within their armour as merely spirits. This technically means that besides the armour, there is nothing of the Thousand Son marine inside his armour. Now, here comes the tricky bit. If this were true, would it not be impossible to actually kill a Thousand Son marine?

By this, I mean that they are essentially possessed armour and would technically be to survive if you took out a component of the armour etc. Is this thinking flawed, or would be possible that the Thousand Sons are literally immortal while locked away in their armour?

Opinions and facts would be helpful!

- Voltaire

Arhalien
30-10-2007, 21:06
I'd say that if there is nothing inside the armour then destroying the armour would make the marine as near dead as makes no difference whatsoever.
Although that this an interesting thought.

Maidel
30-10-2007, 21:15
My impression was that technically you could just puncture the armour and allow the spirit that was floating around inside it to escape.

Of course that often doesnt work because the spirit doesnt WANT to come out - but if you melt the armour or blow it in half, the spirit has no choice and is evicted the hard way.

OR that was my impression anyhow.

khorne666
30-10-2007, 21:17
Well you could argue that they are already dead, it's just whether you can take out the armour before they stand on you.

EDIT: Now that i see the post above, that's pretty much my impression too.

ffoecaf
30-10-2007, 21:18
I've always thought that even if you destroyed the armor, a sorcerer could just bring it back into another suit of armor. Since there'd be barely any left now if they were gone for good afterwards.

Maidel
30-10-2007, 21:21
I've always thought that even if you destroyed the armor, a sorcerer could just bring it back into another suit of armor. Since there'd be barely any left now if they were gone for good afterwards.

That assumes that in the much less than 10,000 years since the HH (remember time flows very differently in the EoT) most of a legion of 1000 sons have been physically dismantled - remembering that most of them laugh at being shot in the face by a bolter (if they could laugh that is... maybe the sorcerer laughs for them)

He who is doom
30-10-2007, 21:22
the sorceror could just resummon the spirit to a new "body"

Arhalien
30-10-2007, 21:23
Also there's the problem of finding an available suit of power armour; I doubt that would be hugely easy (just assuming here)
Anyway, simple, Imperial thinking taking over here: Sorcerer, meet meltagun, meltagun, sorcerer :D

Voltaire
30-10-2007, 21:28
So technically speaking the only way to eliminate the spirit would be through some confangled sorcerous means which would be heresy in itself. It seems the Thousand Sons are the epitome of Chaos then...

Xandros
30-10-2007, 22:04
I believe no, a Thousand Sons marine cannot be fully destroyed any more than a necron warrior can. I see Ahriman's rubric as imposing a para-egyptian afterlife of eternal servitude. For the egyptians there was no true death: Proper observance of ritual and dutiful life was the means to life unending for the average citizen. As long as the order of Egypt was upheld the land would last for all time as would the people in it.

Presumably it would take some sort of time-warping spell to roll back the marine to a previous state. In my opinion rubric marines would not be as cool if they could be killed once and for all, and the alternative of recruiting new marines is not plausible, given how conservative the Thousand Sons are.

heretics bane
30-10-2007, 22:07
It is said that over time the armour slowly repairs and the spirit who floats about the place comes back to re-possses the armour or a socerer could just call it back to a new from.

Unless you destroy the TS soul then there really no other way to kill him, you could however captuer the soul in a box or something

Maidel
30-10-2007, 22:09
It is said that over time the armour slowly repairs and the spirit who floats about the place comes back to re-possses the armour or a socerer could just call it back to a new from.

I dont get this - it doesnt say anything like this in the last 2 codex - I dont have the first edition chaos book so it might be in there. Where does it come from?

heretics bane
30-10-2007, 22:23
IIRC it was a peice of fluff, i think on wiki or something that states the armour basicly "popped" back into shape after slowly regenerating its damage then the spirit come back

Maidel
30-10-2007, 22:24
i think on wiki

So - offical stuff then... :rolleyes:

Tehkonrad
30-10-2007, 22:26
hmmm wiki isn't always reliable...

i think that they cannot be destroyed unless tzneetch wants them to

Maidel
30-10-2007, 22:36

Isnt that yet again an assumption rather than the fact - ive never seen that written before.

The books just say the the spirit was 'sealed tight' withing their armour - thus implying that breaking the armour open would release their spirit - it never ever mentions the armour reforming, or the spirit being re-summoned or anything - thus until they do say that - we cant just fill in gaps like that.

DantesInferno
30-10-2007, 22:42
One of the Ragnar Blackmane novels involves a Tzeentch sorcerer attempting to summon Thousand Son spirits into a new set of power armour, IIRC.

At any one time, Tzeentch "wants" a potentially infinite array of contradictory things.

Maidel
30-10-2007, 22:43
One of the Ragnar Blackmane novels involves a Tzeentch sorcerer attempting to summon Thousand Son spirits into a new set of power armour, IIRC.

Ah - well thats info I dont have - and if true explains why ive never seen it written before (damn you black library!)

Sir Daniel of Smeg
30-10-2007, 22:50
the way i see it is, rather than the spirit being in the armour like a balloon, that the spirit kind of posses the armour like a daemon in a weapon. the spirit and the armour become one and the same. so the only way to fully kill them would be to completely destroy the armour.

trigger
30-10-2007, 23:55
the dust in the armour is the thousand son so just shot him in the foot with a nail gun simple:rolleyes:

little hole and all the dust falls out :D

Rodman49
31-10-2007, 07:16
I was always under the impression that a Thousand Sons soul is infused with the armor. That's why in past editions they were immune to weapons under Strength 5 and had two wounds, simply puncturing the armor won't stop them, you have to utterly destroy or hack apart the entire suit of power armor to stop them.

ffoecaf
31-10-2007, 14:30
That assumes that in the much less than 10,000 years since the HH (remember time flows very differently in the EoT) most of a legion of 1000 sons have been physically dismantled - remembering that most of them laugh at being shot in the face by a bolter (if they could laugh that is... maybe the sorcerer laughs for them)

Yeah, but unless I'm entirely confused on my fluff... weren't there only 1000 of them?

chris.seraphim
31-10-2007, 15:32
- it never ever mentions the armour reforming, or the spirit being re-summoned or anything - thus until they do say that - we cant just fill in gaps like that.

Actually, the point of discussion in the background forum, and IMO half the fun in this hobby, is that until GW pins down EVERY possible question we could EVER possibly ask, yes we bloody well can fill in the gaps.

Its called creativity, having an enquiring mind, or just plain having fun with the setting - rather than slavishly waiting for the disconnected writings of people who KNOW NO MORE ABOUT THIS HOBBY THAN WE (collectively) DO, and holding them over everyone like gospel.

It's boring...
---
Anyways, I'd say that the complete annihilation of the armour would finally banish a Thousand Son warrior, but as long as the armour is in a recognisably human shape, then it would still be repairable and inhabitable.
I also think they should be VERY vulnerable to psychic weapoins (Nemesis force weapon/witch blade etc.) as these will hurt the trapped 'soul' just as much as the physical armour.
BUt thats just my opinion, and is backed up by NO explicit canon fluff, just based on fragments of informaton and some thought based on the nature of the fluff I have read.

Maren
31-10-2007, 17:28

Unless you destroy the TS soul then there really no other way to kill him, you could however captuer the soul in a box or something

Nyahahaha oh god!!! The image in my head of a really evil shoebox stashed under your bed just trying to eat your soul cracks me up. I have to collect thousand sons. I have to!!!