PDA

View Full Version : Miserable songs

Luke
08-09-2005, 15:20
lol, no dont worry, im not suicidal, but there is a part of me which loves to sit on the porch and stare off into the distance on a summer evening and wish i was in australia or somehwere with...well...you know, interesting stuff.

Gloomy sunday and anything by radiohead aside, what other fairly morose and glum songs are there out there? stuff like Karma police and morning bloom (sp?). i'd really appreciate any thoughts at all :D
im not bothered what era they are from, even classical stuff is great. anything at all.

cheers.

The boyz
08-09-2005, 15:22
Mettalica with "nothing else matters" is quite depressing I find.

Wisdom
08-09-2005, 15:22
needle in the hay, by elliott smith is pretty damn gloomy

tzeentchgiant
08-09-2005, 15:23
Tender by Blur, some Coldplay songs, some other blur songs that arent too heavy on the electric guitar are quite sad too.

Try them.

TG

Luke
08-09-2005, 15:24
OMG! i only posted this like a minute ago !:D cool, ill check thos out. *shuffles off*

Guido le Wombat
08-09-2005, 15:24
My Dying Bride - 'My wine in silence' or 'Grace Unhearing' are good places to start.

The boyz
08-09-2005, 15:26
Johnny Cash and his song "Hurt" thats pretty sad aswell.

Crube
08-09-2005, 15:26
The words to Loch Lomond are really sad... (even though the song is quit eup beat towards the end, it still brings a lump to the throat...)

I'm sure I'll have some more thoughts later when I get home from work...

Wisdom
08-09-2005, 15:27
Another two:

Streets of philadelphia- Bruce Springsteen
Tiny Tears- Tindersticks

ironduke
08-09-2005, 15:29
Anything by streets is miserable in my opinion. Then again i shouldn't be posting that here cause there not really songs are they (ooohh you are bitchy today MR Ironduke)

I think Deadringers put it best when describing their songs :wtf:
They are really Chaz and Dave songs but slowed down.

Luke
08-09-2005, 15:29
oh yes!

and johnny cash is THE man! hmmm, these are some prety damn cool songs. and i dont know if its a bad thing so many people know so many glum songs :D

ironduke
08-09-2005, 15:30
On a serious note i cant remember who sung it but "all by myself"

Mad Doc Grotsnik
08-09-2005, 15:33
Now then, why hasn't anyone mentioned the Grand High King Lord Type of the Miserablists, Mr Morrissey yet?

Come on, look at these classic lyrics.

'I was looking for a job, then I found a job. Heaven knows I'm miserable now'

'And if a ten ton truck, crashes into us. To die by your side, would be a most heavenly way to die. And if a double decker bus, kills the both of us, to die by your side, well the pleasure the privelege is mine'

'Girlfriend in a coma I know, I know, it's really serious. No I don't want to see her'

The Smiths made damned fine music. Miserable, and yet uplifting in it's own way. Particularly There Is a Light That Never Goes Out, which has the lyrics about the Bus I put above. Somehow, it's a noble thing to say to someone!

Luke
08-09-2005, 15:37
i think that both Cash's and NIN's versions of hurt, AND their videos are both extremely haunting. possinly my favourite song of all time. its definately getting there.

that blur one was indeed a downer, but was too upbeat :D

Wisdom
08-09-2005, 15:42
well remembered ironduke. morrissey is one depressing ****. Try How soon is now by the smiths. IMO its his most depressing

EVIL INC
08-09-2005, 15:43
Red Sovine- Little Rosa, It'll come back, Giddie Up Go
George Jones- He stopped Loving Her Today (a real tear jerker)
The Highwaymen- Here comes that Rainbow Again
I know theres more I have offhand, but that should be a decent start.

Vaya
08-09-2005, 15:49
Anything by My Dying Bride makes me want to jump out of the window. Luckily I live on the first floor.

And most of Leonard Cohens work also sounds pretty depressed.

ironduke
08-09-2005, 15:51
Oooh another depressing song is the one that Terry Wogan sang :WTF:

I kid you not on his best breakfast songs cd he sung a bonus track. I think it was called california, sun and watermelon wine :confused:

We played it in the car during my friends stag do and i swear to god he would have ended his life there and then if the doors had not been locked

Adlan
08-09-2005, 16:06
I would rattle off a list of folk songs but you wouldn't be able to find them on record really (and they are much better when live, like most folk)
And if they were local songs you wouldn't understand some of it (broad norfolk can be decipherd if heard slowly. But Dicky for donkey tends to freak young mawthers)
So I'd some of the dubliners stuff, should be able to get that.
Raglan road
The Auld Triangle
Dublin in the rare oul Time
The town I loved so well.

Donegal Danny is a Sad song as well, but is kinda happy for me so I didn't put it down.

Inflammable
08-09-2005, 16:12
Puff the magic dragon.

Vaya
08-09-2005, 16:17
Ooh, ooh, that one made me think of Don McLeans 'Vincent'. Slooooooooow song, meant to be beautiful, but the slowness completely takes every beauty out of it.

Needless to say I like the NOFX cover better. :D

The boyz
08-09-2005, 16:20
The Beatles have written some quite depressing songs well I dont know if they are ment to be depressing but I find they are. Probably the most depressing song of all time for me is "while my guitar gently weeps" which was written by George Harrison.
Also "A day in the life" is quite a depressing song, although it sounds quite up beat, The Beatles did write it and performed it at the funeral of one of Guinness family members who died in a car crash, or Something like that my Dad was saying.

ironduke
08-09-2005, 16:23
The U2 song, its fairlt recent. Bono wrote for his dad. "sometimes you can't make it on your own" I think thats it.

Thud
08-09-2005, 16:25
Let's see, miserable songs...

The Dicks - Sidewalk Begging
CCR - Who'll Stop The Rain?
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms

Joachim Nielsen also have tons of melodramatic miserable songs, but they work out a whole lot better if you understand Norwegian... ;)

Needless to say I like the NOFX cover better. :D

I agree. I heard NOFX' version first, and when I finally heard the original I just couldn't believe just how much it sucked.

Brother Frog
08-09-2005, 17:03
Clem Snide are great for clever songs, half of which are depressing. I would recommend 1989, Your Night To Shine and The Sound Of German Hip Hop.

Scabby
08-09-2005, 17:12
Elton John's "The Last Song" is pretty damn sad.

ditto Joni Mitchell's "The Magdalene Laundries".

Lionel Richie's "Hello". Not much hurts more than unrequited love.

Kaaijer
08-09-2005, 17:40
Metallica - No Leaf Clover. Gets to me every time.

Joe Satriani - I Believe. So far the only song that has literally brought tears to my eye.

ArtificerArmour
08-09-2005, 17:50
system of a down - lost in hollywood.
system of a down - roulette
muse - endlessly

ive got my music blaring so i cant really think of any more.

and sorry...street spirit by radiohead always moves me. its so haunting and beautiful (not as much as let down, but let downs uplifting i think...)

PSD
08-09-2005, 18:08
Save Me, by Queen. But that may just be me, as it has particularly upsetting memories attached to it.

Anything Doom Metal. My Dying Bride, SunnO))), etc...

A lot of old rock stuff can be, Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, and Dire Straits being particularly prone to this.

Oldschool Black Sabbath can be pretty damn depressing too (yet utterly brilliant).

Wez
08-09-2005, 18:15
The most depressing song, as in most likely to make you kill yourself, is obviously Avril Lavigne's cover of Chop Suey.:p

Music that just makes me sad includes most of The Killer's songs, Gangsta's paradise (Coolio) and a few Rise Against songs.

Some Simon and Garfunkel songs, Edith Piaf's 'Les Amants d'un jour' (Lovers for a day) and David Bowie's 'Space Oddity' all deserve a mention as well.:)

-Wez

Shadowheart
08-09-2005, 18:18
I'm not a guy for flat-out misery, I prefer melancholy, which is a sort of pseudo-intellectual misery.
I think the most singularly depressing song I tend to listen to is Cup of Coffee by Garbage, which opens with the words You tell me you don't love me, over a cup of coffee and manages not to become whiny.

At any rate I need a female singer to cry out with, so when I want to revell in my misery I usually end up playing Garbage (Sleep, Medication, Nobody Can Win etc.) or Over the Rhine (Latter Days, Fairpoint Diary, This is What I'll Remember Most etc.).

Then when I reluctantly get over myself it's time for singing along with guys again. Any excuse to play Veteran of the Psychic Wars is good enough.

redemptionist15
08-09-2005, 23:21
Good depressing songs for me include:

Biffy Clyro-With Aplomb
A Perfect Circle-3 Libras, Rose
Dark Tranquility-Lethe
Deftones-Mascara
Hope of the States-Black Amnesias, Static in the Citys

Kohhna
08-09-2005, 23:41
The Beatles have written some quite depressing songs well I dont know if they are ment to be depressing but I find they are.
Cryed for No-one is pretty depressing (and quite good)
And in her eyes you see nothing
No sign of love behind the tears
Cryed for no-one
A love that should have lasted years.

I love the way it just ends, like,.... nothing.

Some of Pink Foyd can be fairly dismal. Especially a lot of the tracks of The Wall.

Oh yes, and the recent Mercury-winning Antony and the Johnsons. Their best know track I Hope Theres someone is pretty bleak.

And Anything off of the Album Dummy by Portishead. The track Roads especially.

Edit: I wouldn't say Lethe was Depressing exactly. Nothing that breaks into that driving guitar rift can be altogether depressing.

Grumnir
09-09-2005, 04:23
As for beatles eleanor rigby (again despite the tone) is fairly sad-ish.

Also 'streets of london' by ralph mctell (dont ask me how it ended up on my itunes ;)) is fairly similar

ironduke
09-09-2005, 08:56
As for beatles eleanor rigby (again despite the tone) is fairly sad-ish.

Its not the tune its the words that are bit sadish.

Ass Goblin
09-09-2005, 10:30
Dark Tranquility-Lethe

I agree, that bass intro is so damm morbidly sad it's scary and finally once the vocals kick in :(

feugan
09-09-2005, 10:36
'Sour Times' - Portishead
'Numbered Days'- Eels
'Oh Yeah' - Roxy Music
'Instant Death' - The Beastie Boys (No, really)
'Grandma's Hands' - Bill Withers
'Moss Garden' - David Bowie (instrumental, but don't let that put you off)
'Commuter Love' - The Divine Comedy
'The Next Life' - Suede
'Protection' - Massive Attack

All simultaneously miserable and wonderful. Your record collection needs all of these.

Edit: there's some overlap with Kohhna there, who is also spot on with all his choices.

Vaya
09-09-2005, 10:39
Ah, finally somebody mentioned Eels. It's just something in E's voice that makes you really morose.

Rabid Bunny 666
09-09-2005, 10:40
depressing songs, eh?

i did something like this on portent IIRC

metallica, no leaf clover and the s'n'm intro to one
Queens of the stone age, you would know
i think 'nid said most of NIN songs were as well

The boyz
09-09-2005, 11:07
Cryed for No-one is pretty depressing (and quite good)
And in her eyes you see nothing
No sign of love behind the tears
Cryed for no-one
A love that should have lasted years.

Yeah I agree that is a pretty depressing song, it is one of my favourite songs though of the "Revolver" album.

vforvenator
09-09-2005, 13:29
Nightclubbing by Iggy Pop I found quite melancholy. And while Common People by Pulp was pretty poignant, the William Shatner cover version was truly mortifying.

Delicious Soy
09-09-2005, 14:10
Here's a few:

Queens of the Stone Age: Long Slow Goodbye, In the Fade, Like A Drug, You Can't quit me baby (which is a little perturbatory at the same time)

Tool: Pushit, The Patient, Sober

The Superjesus: Now and Then

Jebediah: Harpoon

The Smashing Pumpkins: 1979

Cog: Run, Naming the Elephant, Doors.

He Who Laughs
09-09-2005, 14:51
Cog: Run, Naming the Elephant, Doors.

Glad to see theres a fellow Cog supporter on Warseer. See them live if you haven't already, Soy - they open with Doors - it's bloody marvellous.

Another band that tugs at the heart-strings and jerks the tear ducts is "Fagan". They hail from Brisbane - they got a song on one of Triple J's Home and Hosed albums - called "Dante". You can download a couple of songs (including Dante) from their website too.

And, beleive it or not - some of the tracks from the "Amelie" (sp?) soundtrack are quite moving too - really nice piano pieces.

He Who Laughs
09-09-2005, 15:04
On a serious note i cant remember who sung it but "all by myself"

Your not thinking of the Greenday "Nobody was looking, I was all by myself, I was thinking of you" song are you?

Oh, and thanks for taking up the sig challenge btw :D

Also - Perfect Circles cover of Crucifx's cover "Annihilation" and their version of "Imagine" are top-notch in the miserable department - it's a real testament to the skill of Billy Howerdel, Maynard and the others, that they can turn a happy positive song into such a depressing, melancholy song - without even changing the words.

Cade
09-09-2005, 17:54
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds' "Where the wild roses grow" is a very depressing song.
As is "Do you love me?"

The Smiths were one helluva suicidal bunch of saddos, "There is a light that never goes out" being a prime example.

Other stand-out sad songs:
All About Eve "Martha's harbour"
Queen "Who wants to live forever?"
The Beatles "Yesterday" "Eleanor Rigby"
The Verve "The drugs don't work"
Radiohead "Creep" "Street Spirit"
Blur "No distance left to run"
Pulp "Live bed show" "The fear" "A little soul"
Everything but the girl "Missing"
Garbage "Milk"
Within Temptation "Caged"

Griefbringer
09-09-2005, 18:09
What about blues music? Or Portuguese fado?

Johnny Bravo
09-09-2005, 18:47
Don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet, but Cup of Coffee by Garbage always gets me.

Vaya
09-09-2005, 18:49
Streets of Philadelphia, by Springsteen.

VanDoo
09-09-2005, 19:08
Nothing Else Matters, Fade to Black and One by Metallica always get to me. Nothing to Lose, Standing in the Rain and Into the River Below by Billy Talent are also a bit of a downer. I also find Time of Your Life by Green Day somewhat sad.

taer
09-09-2005, 19:25
Far Away Boys-Floggin' Molly
All of Elliot Smith
A great deal of The Smashing Pumpkins
Pool Shark (slow version)-Sublime
Some Dave Matthews
A fair bit of Modest Mouse
Scary Monsters-David Bowie
Lift Your Skinny Fists like Antennaes to Heaven-Godspeed you Black Emperor

And many, many others

VanDoo
09-09-2005, 19:37
CCR - Who'll Stop The Rain?

Don't you mean "Have you ever seen the rain?"?

Kohhna
09-09-2005, 22:10
All About Eve "Martha's harbour"
Oh I love that song so much. Reminds me of driving up the North Antrim coast road.

Lurker
09-09-2005, 23:21
Lift Your Skinny Fists like Antennaes to Heaven-Godspeed you Black Emperor

Yeah all of Godspeed you Black Emperor is pretty dark! Buts its all good!

Anyway, how about Jeff Buckleys debut Grace.

Wiseman
10-09-2005, 03:40
needle in the hay, by elliott smith is pretty damn gloomy

i love that song, it is pretty depressing though!

5upr3m3 h4xx0rz
12-09-2005, 00:32
"Scars" by papa roach is kind of miserable....broken home by the same band is definitely depressing, along with last resort, once again by papa roach.

Kiro
12-09-2005, 00:53
Eh?
You'd call Last Resort by Papa Roach a depressing song? :wtf:
Everytime I hear that song, I just think of my first year at 6th form, and how everything was all new shiny, and the future was bright :D

Of course, the song now depresses me, because I can't believe I ever liked it! :p

5upr3m3 h4xx0rz
12-09-2005, 02:25
Hah...if you listen to the lyrics, hes always talkin about killing himself in various ways, and thats why its called last resort- his last resort in life is to commit suicide.

And, ill admit, last resort wasnt the best song. But it was cool.

I also think "theres a thousand words to say" by Darkest hour is kind of depressing. Not that i understand what hes screaming about, but the music kind of makes ut depressing.

Wiseman
12-09-2005, 04:12
i thought last resort was good, until i realised how bad it really is

:0)
12-09-2005, 04:31
The Juliana Theory - "Duane Joseph" is very sad to me.

New Cult King
12-09-2005, 05:23
Last Goodbye - Jeff Buckley.
Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley.

Listen to them and cry ;)

Adlan
12-09-2005, 06:41
Some fo james blunts stuff is quite sad,
the album back to bedlam only has one slightly cheerful song on it (wisemen) the rest are quite beutifully sad.
Ones that make me cry would be Your Beautiful and Goodbye my Lover and ones that make me sad would be No Bravery.

Rabid Bunny 666
12-09-2005, 09:42
i can add Placebos cover of running up that hill

He Who Laughs
12-09-2005, 11:49
Last Goodbye - Jeff Buckley.
Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley.

Listen to them and cry ;)

Amen to that - Last Goodbye is a beautiful song. Pity old Jeff forgot how to swim... RiP.

Ass Goblin
12-09-2005, 11:58
Amen to that - Last Goodbye is a beautiful song. Pity old Jeff forgot how to swim... RiP.

I agree with you the HWL. I also heard that he was sucked under by a tugboat but it can't be confirmed.

vforvenator
12-09-2005, 14:16
Does anyone remember this song, or who the woman it was by, around 1995-1996:
You say, I only hear what I want to,
I don't listen hard,
don't pay attention to the
distance that you're running,
or anyone, anywhere, I
don't understand,
that you really care,
I'm only hearing negative,
no, no, no, noooooo.
I could go on - I won't. Depressed the **** out of me.

Kohhna
12-09-2005, 15:21
Does anyone remember this song, or who the woman it was by, around 1995-1996:
You say, I only hear what I want to,
I don't listen hard,
don't pay attention to the
distance that you're running,
or anyone, anywhere, I
don't understand,
that you really care,
I'm only hearing negative,
no, no, no, noooooo.
I could go on - I won't. Depressed the **** out of me.

Isn't that You Say by Lisa Loeb?
edit: Its called Stay, but it is by Lisa Loeb

Johnny Bravo
12-09-2005, 16:56
Yep, that's Lisa. I used to have her phone number, believe it or not. Sweet girl.

librerian_samae
12-09-2005, 17:18
Well if no one has posted it already,

cover of hurt by Johnny Cash,

failing that anything by Portishead aparently... :rolleyes:

Tormentor of Slaanesh
12-09-2005, 19:33
as time goes by.

Kohhna
12-09-2005, 22:28
Curtis Mayfield - Aint No Sunshine when she's gone
Jeff Wayne - Forever Autumn
Hank Williams - I'm so Lonesome I could Cry
UB40 - Statistical Reminder

Inflammable
12-09-2005, 23:08
One tin soldier by Me first and the gimme gimmes, sure as hell gives you something to think about.

I don't know who orignally wrote it, but you could look it up if you're interested.

Yodhrin
12-09-2005, 23:39
What makes me miserable is nobody has yet mentioned Shape of My Heart by Sting. Not only is it fairly melancholy on it's own, but it always reminds me of Leon :cries:

Kaaijer
13-09-2005, 07:56
Curtis Mayfield - Aint No Sunshine when she's gone
Jeff Wayne - Forever Autumn

Excellent, how could I forget those?

Someone also mentioned Goodbye My Lover by James Blunt. That's a pretty damn sad song, too.

Vaya
13-09-2005, 08:03
I don't know who orignally wrote it, but you could look it up if you're interested.

Coven. Don't know if it's a person or a band though (gotta love Google)

Mad Doc Grotsnik
14-09-2005, 17:16
Never Take Me Alive : Spear of Destiny.

Dunno why, but i never used to like this song much. Then, all of a sudden, I started to think it was great. I am now contemplating buyiny SoD albums up. I think it's the ending bit that gets me.

Shinobi
14-09-2005, 17:18
Dunno if it's been mentioned since I haven't read all the posts but Beethoven's 'Moonlight Sonata' is awesome, slow sad song :D