PDA

View Full Version : Aspect Warrior Colors

MrWoten
31-10-2007, 03:16
One consistent theme I have noticed in Eldar forces is that Aspect Warriors are always painted the same way. Maybe it's just in this new edition that people are painting them differently to match their army but I am not interested in that ( it'd be terribly boring to have matching colors on everything ) so I have to wonder what their significance is. What is the importance of the default Aspect Warrior color schemes, if any? I understand that the armor is passed on from Warrior to Warrior, Exarch to Exarch, so does that have anything to do with it?

devolutionary
31-10-2007, 03:18
Each shrine has their own colour scheme. Now obviously many of them are painted to suit their style (Dark Reapers are black with ivory/bone, Scorpions are green for their insect inspiration, Fire Dragons are reds and oranges) but beyond that simple association, there isn't any real documented connection between the colours beyond where they are from.

MrWoten
31-10-2007, 06:32
Thank you. Now I can at least trivialize one more aspect of my army to the whims of it's owner. :D

Tehkonrad
31-10-2007, 07:54
you cannot really change the colours of aspects..

devolutionary
31-10-2007, 08:01
Why not? There is no uniform for any aspect beyond the style of their armour and fighting style. All background with regard to their colouring clearly indicate that each shrine has a unique colour scheme, with a vast variety shown within aspects. The colours that GW paint them are analogous to a Space Marine chapter colouring - Ultramarines on the box, Imperial Fists to the player.

Tehkonrad
31-10-2007, 08:03
Oh i just thought the colours were sacred and not allowed to be changed.

devolutionary
31-10-2007, 08:06
Only to the individual shrine on a Craftworld, so the Iyanden Dark Reapers would be one colour scheme, but that will vary dramatically to the one on the Biel Tan Craftworld, and again to the one on Ulthwe. The Eldar are too in to their pretty colours to be bound by petty uniformity requirements :)

precinctomega
31-10-2007, 08:07
Well, yes, if you're actually an Eldar in the 41st Millennium then, yes, the colours are sacred and cannot be changed (from the colours that belong to your particular shrine, that is).

If, however, you're a wargamer in the 21st century with a wide selection of paints from which to choose...

R.

Idaan
31-10-2007, 09:28
All these colours are sacred and immutable for the shrine, but then again each shrine can have different colours. They come from the personality of the Exarch who started it, some events in its history, incorporating Craftworld elements etc. So for example my Ulthwe Dire Avengers have plumes with red feathers to commemorate warriors of this particular shrine fallen at Haranshemash.

So, each shrine has its own colours, but nothing stops you from saying that your warriors come from different shrine than the one pictured in codex.

There was even a compilation of different schemes in some WD. Someone sumed it up in some other thread and I saved it. So here it is:

Dire Avengers
- Shrine of the Falling Moon (Alaitoc Craftworld. Blue armour with red, white and black helmet crest)
- Shrine of the Knights Azure (no model, mentioned as wearing "dazzling" blue armour)
- Sun Blade Shrine
- Sable Helm Shrine (no model, mentioned as having black helmets)
- Argent Crest Shrine (no model, mentioned as having white helmet crests)
- Shrine of the Sons of Asurmen

Howling Banshees
- Shrine of the Song of Death (bone armour, black helmet, grey hair. Black and silver weapons)
- Shrine of the Ebon Witch (Black armour, one white arm, white helmet, orange hair. Brass/gold weapons)

Striking Scorpions
- Shrine of the Viridic Stalkers (Green armour, Yellow helmet and trims. Brass weapons)
- Shrine of the Obsidian Claw (Green armour, black helmet, light green trims highlighted to white. Black weapons.)

Fire Dragons
- Shrine of the Red Wyrm (Red Armour, Brass helmet and weapon)
- Shrine of the Burning Lance (Orange armour, black helmet and weapon)

Swooping Hawks
- Shrine of the Ashen Sky (Grey armour, blue helmet, yellow trims, brass/silver weapons)
- Shrine of the Bloodied Wing (turqoise armour, black helmet and wings with white and red "feathers")

Dark Reapers
- Shrine of the Darkened Heart (Black armour, purple trims and weapon)
- Jade Scythe Shrine (Black armour with dark blue trims and weapon, blue gems)

Warp Spiders
- Voidwalker Shrine (Red armour, white collar, black helmet, brass weapon)
- Shrine of the Shadow Gate (Black armour, red collar and weapon, white helmet)

tau_caste
31-10-2007, 09:38
i dont see why you have to paint them all the same as GW does. i paint mine differently. my swooping hawks are a vibrant red. dirre avengers are mechrite red, scorpions between mechrite red and blood red, dark reapers black and scab red, banshees black and mechrite red, fire dragons orange (ok this is traditional but it just fit the theme of building the colors through the reds between aspects) if you cant already tell im a saim hann player

Eulenspiegel
31-10-2007, 13:20
i dont see why you have to paint them all the same as GW does.
You donīt have to, noone makes you do something.

Even if you want to stay true to the background:
Yes, the colours for each Aspect shrine are (for want of a better word) sacred, - but you get to choose them.

pookie
31-10-2007, 13:28
paint them how ever you feel, each mini represents what type of aspect they are, if you want Pink Banshees then go for it, if you want purple and green dark reapers, then thats upto you.

if you want your army to follow the fluff, well then you shouldchoose colours that GW represent, but you still can apply them how you want, ie yellow scorpion with green banding ( rather than the other way around )

zoodog
31-10-2007, 13:46
In other words, they fluffwise have a general color association but there is still alot of variation within it.
You can technically paint them whatever you want and they should still be identifiable, however expect to receive the ocational docked soft score if you take them to tourney's, as you will sometime offend someone by not using their fluff colors.

Alessander
31-10-2007, 14:45
Codex Craftworld Eldar stated that you can change the colors as you want. Some use the aspect colors with an accent or two in the color of the craftworld (ie BielTan Fire Dragons are mainly red/orange with a green arm sash) while some completely wear their craftworld colors on all aspects.

I vary it up a little. My Biel Tan Howling Banshees are traditional aspect colors, each with a green (biel tan) arm sash, but the hair-manes for each squad are different so I can tell the squads apart with a glance. When I finally got around to painting Jain-Zar, she had five streaks of color in her hair that linked her to all the different squad colors, and has a long streaming green ribbon wrapped along her executioner.

Direhamster
31-10-2007, 15:08
Isn't that so that sometimes Aspect warriors actually uniform with the rest of the craftworld host? I mean, in previous edition codex there was a GW painter showcases where Aspects were painted similarily to the rest of the craftworld.

If you want to keep it fluffy, they may come from some shrine whose warriors had somehow dishonoured themselves (in Eldar understanding of dishonour, of course) and as such they feel that they cannot don the colours of their shrine anymore... Or it may be more feudal structure of the Saim Hann clan, that does not necesarily has to be red and black, and doesn't even have to be red at all, and the aspect's decided to honour the blood ties with the Chieftan, even above their loylties to the shrine -for reckless and emotional Saim Hann that's even probable...

So you are free whatever colours you want, and that provides a lot of possible background to your army if you want to kee it fluffy, and who wouldn't?

Cheers

Direhamster

Meriwether
31-10-2007, 15:13
I hate the skittles-like coloring of the traditional aspect colors mixed with a 'standard' guardian/vehicle scheme. It looks disjointed and generally unharmonious. Thus, all my aspect warriors are the same color scheme as my guardians -- green, white, and black. My squads might vary in the color of their 'flair' (any accents on the models), which I try to keep uniform from squad to squad.

...on the other hand, my friend Matt *hates* the color scheme on my eldar, and hates even more that I deviated from the 'traditional' colors. I don't care what he thinks. :D

Cheers,

Meri

BaronDG
31-10-2007, 16:28
I guess you could paint red ultramarines and yellow black templars as well...

pookie
31-10-2007, 16:33
I guess you could paint red ultramarines and yellow black templars as well...

yes you could, but then again they wouldnt really be UM or BT would they....

BaronDG
31-10-2007, 18:33
Depends if you got a good explanation or not. The Blood Angels once had a pale greenish camouflage scheme. The Dark Angels used to be all black until someone invented the deathwing.

Maidel
31-10-2007, 20:39
The way this works (As far as I can see) is that they have shown us the colour schemes for the named craftworlds and their aspect warriors.
If you want to do a bel tan craftworld army you should stick to the colour scheme of bel tan (and the colours they have shown for their aspect warriors. This is exactly the same as if you want to play ultramarines you should paint them blue.

HOWEVER - there is nothing to stop you having an 'ultramarine' army or a 'bel tan' army - using the rules for those armys, but changing the colour scheme to your own.

(yes I do realise that ultramarines are pretty much codex now and bel tan has no difference to the other craftworlds in the current edition - but you get my meaning)

Maidel
31-10-2007, 20:39
The Blood Angels once had a pale greenish camouflage scheme.

Id love to see a picture...

Indrid Khold
31-10-2007, 20:40
I don't have the book handy, but I think even the 2nd Edition Eldar codex made it clear that different Aspect Shrines used different colors. It implied that they usually stuck to a certain general theme (fiery colors in the case of the Fire Dragons, for example), but it was far from universal.

devolutionary
31-10-2007, 20:50
I don't have the book handy, but I think even the 2nd Edition Eldar codex made it clear that different Aspect Shrines used different colors. It implied that they usually stuck to a certain general theme (fiery colors in the case of the Fire Dragons, for example), but it was far from universal.

Indeed it did, that is where I was getting my info from :)

carlisimo
31-10-2007, 20:58
Idaan is right.

Every aspect does have an official color scheme, started by the aspect's originator. It's like the Codex Astartes: official, but not exactly strictly adhered to. In a craftworld, any number of aspects will be represented. Sometimes by one shrine, sometimes by several. Those shrines have their own history and culture and yes, their colors may vary. They can vary as much as you want. So have fun. (I try to use a unique shade of either of my craftworld's two main colors as the primary color of my aspect warriors, but use the standard aspect colors for trim, or for parts of their armor so they still stand out.)

The only thing you can't do is make up your own scheme and then say that your warriors come from the same aspect shrine named in official fluff.

BaronDG
31-10-2007, 21:29
@ Maidel, it was the cover of white dwarf 110 so it's not really recent fluff...