PDA

View Full Version : Rolling spells and default spell

Noldo
31-10-2007, 11:09
At which point of the spell selection one may swap spell to default spell (or Flaming Sword of Rhuin, in case of HE Dragon Mage)?

For example:
HE Mage with Silver Wand (knows 1 extra spell) rolls for spells 3, 3 and 5. If I would prefer other spells, can I first roll the duplicate (one of the 3s, and get for example 4) and THEN swap one of the spells to default one (leaving my mage with spells number 1, 4 and 5)? Or must I do the swap immediately after first (assuming I want to swap out spell number 3) (leaving the mage with spells number 1, 3 and 5)?

alexh
31-10-2007, 11:24
It is my understanding that you re-roll any duplicate first and then swap for the default spell afterwards.

Albinowski
31-10-2007, 11:28
First you roll 3 spells, if some number recurs you make a reroll and then if no spell recurs you can swap one of them for the default spell.

For example: I roll for my lvl 4 mage spells #2, #3, #3, #5. Then I reroll one #3, and I get #4. Now I have spells #2, #3, #4, #5, but I don't like the spell #5, so I swap it for the default spell, so now I am keeping the spells #2, #3, #4 and #default.

You can't have any spell more than once on one of your mages.

Kadrium
31-10-2007, 15:03
I don't have a rulebook handy, but it seems to me that the way I remember the rule working is slightly different.

Its my recollection that you roll one spell and decide if you want to default that spell or not, then roll the next spell, and repeat. Not roll all spells at once and choose which of the available spells to default.

Crube
31-10-2007, 15:14
Not something that is actually specified... just had a look at my BRB...

...roll a D6 per level of the wizard and consult the chosen Lore of Magic... If you roll the same spell twice for the same wizard, roll again until you obtain a different result.....

... A wizard can always substitute one of his spells with the first sepll that is on the list...

I've always played it that you roll all your spells at once, then reroll any duplicates, then substitute a spell if you wish.

DeathlessDraich
31-10-2007, 21:55
can I first roll the duplicate (one of the 3s, and get for example 4) and THEN swap one of the spells to default one (leaving my mage with spells number 1, 4 and 5)? Or must I do the swap immediately after first (assuming I want to swap out spell number 3) (leaving the mage with spells number 1, 3 and 5)?

1) You don't even have to roll dice. Some players use cards to randomly choose spells.

2) You can substitute at any moment - "A wizard can always substitute one of his spells with the first spell". There is no stipulation that you choose the first spell after randomly selecting all spells.

Kadrium
31-10-2007, 22:22
Interesting. Looks like its a little more flexible than we'd been playing it. Sounds good to me, I'd prefer to roll all and then sub for default.

T10
31-10-2007, 23:11
1) You don't even have to roll dice. Some players use cards to randomly choose spells.

2) You can substitute at any moment - "A wizard can always substitute one of his spells with the first spell". There is no stipulation that you choose the first spell after randomly selecting all spells.

1) The rules explicitly tell you to roll d6's to randomly select spells. :)

2) The rules do not allow or disallow this, but if the example provided is indicative of the intended procedure, then all of a wizard's spells are randomly generated before he is allowed to swap.

-T10

DeathlessDraich
01-11-2007, 11:27
1) The rules explicitly tell you to roll d6's to randomly select spells. :)
-T10

but you wouldn't object a player that generates spells using cards? - a faster method.

Festus
01-11-2007, 11:44
Hi

The BRB does not force you to roll for spells. It says that the *standard* procedure is to generate Spells randomly... (left column)

then it tells you how to do so with the aid of dice (right column).

Festus

T10
01-11-2007, 12:41
but you wouldn't object a player that generates spells using cards? - a faster method.

I'd find it an acceptable alternative.

"They're right to call me crazy! I play by nobody's rules! Not even my own!"

-T10

WLBjork
02-11-2007, 12:38
I would go as far as to say that you must have rolled (or otherwise selected) you spells, and re-rolled any bduplicates before you are allowed to swap any spell.

This is because it is possible to end up with spell 1 and thus be incapable of exhanging another spell for spell 1.