PDA

View Full Version : Shadowseer mask.

MrBigMr
31-10-2007, 21:38
Why a silver mask? Apart form the cool effect, does the mask have any special powers? I understand that the normal masks have a psychological effect (does it have any TT effect?) but does the Shadowseer one have anything special?

Supremearchmarshal
31-10-2007, 22:09
Nope, the current codex doesn't mention anything special about his mask. His special rules come from his psychic power and grenades. Maybe it has more to do with his role in the plays than in combat (though I don't know why the storyteller should have a featureless silver mask). It could also be a psychic focus or something.

Tehkonrad
31-10-2007, 23:14
yeah i'd say its something like that

DantesInferno
31-10-2007, 23:21
2nd ed Eldar Codex:

All Harlequins wear a face mask, but that of the Shadow Seer is uniquely blank and smooth. It is claimed that anyone who looks into the face of a Shadow Seer sees a different face, often his own face in some future or alternate time.

As opposed to:

[The Harlequins] never show their real faces but conceal them beneath a shifting costume mask which can assume any image at the will of the Harlequin. When the Harlequins fight in battle their masks are said to reflect the worst nightmares of all those who gaze upon them, causing their foes to quail in supernatural fear.

Idaan
01-11-2007, 15:24
I'd say that given the typical role of the Shadowseer in the masque, that is of the Storyteller or the Fate, it's quite logical for him not to have defined facial features. It shows quite good that he's not on the same level of existence as other characters, guides them and manipulates them without any human (or rather Eldar) emotions and, last not least, that he's a personified concept as opposed to other players.

MrBigMr
01-11-2007, 17:15
Ok. I'm just interested that if a person, like an Inquisitor with knowledge on Eldar tech, used one, what would he/she gain from it. Like in terms of wargear or something. I'm mostly thinking of mounting it as a sort of trophy, but if the user could gain something from it, why not also use it?

Oh, I came across a little dilemma. In the codex a shadowseer is referred as a 'she', the GW model is female and I think I've seen somewhere else the shadowseer referred as a 'she'. So, are shadowseers 'female only' or are there male shadowseers as well?

Marstfu
01-11-2007, 17:20
I don't think inquisitors would know how to use a harlequin mask.
If it even fit them.

Also, Inquisitor Kaustus had a mirror-mask, but that was just to hide his huge ork tusks.

MrBigMr
01-11-2007, 17:32
I don't think inquisitors would know how to use a harlequin mask.
If it even fit them.
It was just an example.
In reality I was going to mount the mask on the helmet of my Slaanesh lord, who should be acquaint with Eldar gear as he has dedicated his life on hunting them and his veteran troops use Eldar weapons. And he has a crappy replica infinity circuit aboard his battleship just to store his prey.

Which is why I have a problem with the shadowseer, if they're female only. I was working on the fluff (second novel in the works) and by the third I was going to have a male shadowseer appear and I can't change the sex anymore. If I can't have him, I'll just have to come up with something else.

Direhamster
01-11-2007, 19:54
I don't think Eldar are about very much defined sex roles - they do male or female everything indiscriminately.

The exception would be Howling Banshee aspect, but it was said in older fluff that although female eldar are in predominant majority in Banshee shrines, there is nothing to prohibit male eldar to join theses shrines as well.

Eldar, with all their mysticism and mythology, are exceptionally civilized, and have left geneder segregation far far behind them IMHO.

Wouldn't see shadowseer to be an exception from general rule, despite being enigmatic.

Direhamster

badnewsblair
01-11-2007, 20:12
I think that the Shadowseer is referred to as a "she" because the role they play is feminine. However, I think that they can be either male or female Eldar.

calicojack
01-11-2007, 20:33
"Shadowseer" in the 2nd [and following] edition[s] is the "High Warlock" of Rogue Trader. One of the original Warlock models had the featureless mask under a cowl, but many also had featured masks. Most of the Warlock models were male eldar, 'though there were certainly females amongst the Harlequins. The blank mask was identical to the featured masks, really. It projected terrifying holographic images about the wearer [well, two things, really - in performance it also took on a holographic appearance regardless of its physical form]. Rilliatann, Athair, Ardathair... sorry, I mean Trouper, Avatar, High Avatar, Warlock or High Warlock or Death Jester, the masks had the same purpose and effects.

With 2nd ed., they started including the "Shadowseer" [High Warlock] as wearing a blank mask [hearking back to that one blank-masked Warlock model], but still do not seem to have given the mask different "powers."

Supremearchmarshal
01-11-2007, 21:11
Since the Shadowseer's role is the storyteller or fate, I see no reason they'd have to be female. And indeed, Howling Banshees can be male AFAIK. (Somewhat OT, but: from a guy who played DoW but not tabletop: "Really? Can a Farseer be male?" :D)

MrBigMr, is it a problem because the Shadowseer needs to be male or because of your Lord? If the latter, I don't see why a Slaanesh Lord of all people would have trouble with female-only items. If Slaanesh wants the Lord to use it, he/she shall find a way to make it possible for his/her favoured servant.

Chaplain Ark
01-11-2007, 21:14
i agree with that it is more a symbol in the masque then in battle.

Curis
01-11-2007, 21:22
The masks have a tendency to improve with each revision of the fluff.

From the Warhammer 40,000 Compendium (1989):

The Harlequins are distinguished by their face-masks or agaith (Eldar: "false face"), which they are said to never take off. Avatars generally have snarling or laughing masks, Warlocks often favour blank or abstract masks, Death Jesters invariably wear skull-faced masks and those worn by troupers can vary wildly. The differences are purely superficial, however, since all Harlequin masks have a number of common functions, acting as a respirator with auto-sense and an infra-vision visor.

Avatars are equipped with a so-called Rictus Mask (Eldar: marathag "face of death"); this is fitted with a small holo-projector which is programmed to replay the death-throes of every opponent the Harlequin has ever killed, over and over again in a continuous cycle. This has the effect of making the Harlequin cause fear in all hand-to-hand combat opponents.

MrBigMr
01-11-2007, 21:42
MrBigMr, is it a problem because the Shadowseer needs to be male or because of your Lord? If the latter, I don't see why a Slaanesh Lord of all people would have trouble with female-only items. If Slaanesh wants the Lord to use it, he/she shall find a way to make it possible for his/her favoured servant.
Oh, Xerxes wouldn't have a problem with having a chick's mask.
The problem is that the shadowseer has already made an appearance in the stories (not as a shadowseer, though), so I can't change it to female at this point without crapping my story plans. I won't spoil anymore. Everything else can be found in my sig.

It seems the mask will just act as a trophy, implanted into the helmet.