PDA

View Full Version : So, now that the new elf dragon is on a chariot base...

Finnigan2004
01-11-2007, 02:33
does that mean the official size for the dragon base on high elf dragons is chariot sized, or can I use a monster base if I use a different dragon?

T10
01-11-2007, 09:41
No and yes.

-T10

Finnigan2004
01-11-2007, 13:41
Thanks T 10, and now for the difficult follow up question. If I do get a new dragon and mount it on a base with a 100mm flank, does my opponent get to attack with 50 mm worth of his models or 100 mm? That's sort of what I thought too, but allowing variations of base sizes seems a bad precedent to me.

Avian
01-11-2007, 14:44
If it's on a chariot base then it gets the advantages and disadvantages of that.

GodHead
01-11-2007, 15:08
What would the advantages be exactly...?

Do the High Elves have magic items that effect enemies in BTB? If they do you'd be best off putting the dragon on the chariot base, but sideways, so the long side is to the front and back, maximizing the number of models you can touch on a charge, while maintaining small flanks.

They may tell us what size of base to use, but they don't say what orientation they have to be in.

Hmm... This should apply to chariots as well. Now, to just get the model to fit like that.

eldrak
01-11-2007, 22:36
Advantages:
You can gain 2.5cm movement in turn 1.
Larger terror zone (scary tail whipping around?).
Block line of sight to more things you want to hide.

Gorbad Ironclaw
02-11-2007, 06:19
They may tell us what size of base to use, but they don't say what orientation they have to be in.

Actually they do. A 50*100mm base is not the same as a 100*50mm base.

Crazy Harborc
02-11-2007, 23:52
I doubt the dragon model would "fit" on it's base if you tried mounting it sideways on the base. It's body/legs would likely hang over the edge(s) of the base.;)

Palatine Katinka
03-11-2007, 01:12
The longer base extends not only terror range but also General's leadership range (if the rider is your General of course!).

If you tried basing the dragon sideways it would likely fall over. The base is that long so that the centre of gravity is still above part of the base. If you shorten the base to the point where the centre of gravity over hangs, the model will topple, pivoting on the edge of the base. As long as the centre of gravity is above part of the base, the force of gravity will act through the base and keep the model upright.

TheWarSmith
03-11-2007, 14:24
They're creating bits of grey areas with the new dragon and also with the new plastic giant(is that a chariot sized base?). I have an old and new giant, and the old giant is MUCH better at dodging cannonfire.

Certain large creatures(i.e. non bipedal ones), deserve to be on larger bases. The Hydra certainly will be(kinda is already cause it's not a based monster), all dragons should/will be?

Numerous advantages are held(more than the giant) for having a larger base, as mentioned above:

Larger central point for general's leadership aura(if he's the gen.)
Larger central point for terror

Not sure of the logic of getting an extra 2.5cm move on turn one. Are you implying that you'd have him be turned sideways or something?

GodHead
03-11-2007, 22:24
Actually they do. A 50*100mm base is not the same as a 100*50mm base.

Where do they say which orientation that is meant to be read? In fact where does it state that at all? Obviously the old base chart is SNAFU, so we have to put it on what it comes with, but it doesn't say which side = front.

Palatine Katinka
04-11-2007, 00:06
In the instruction book that comes with the dragon! :p