PDA

View Full Version : Big'Uns and unit chapions

sqigglett
01-11-2007, 07:11
hi all

if a unit of orc boy big'uns upgrades one to a unit chapion, does the chapion still pay to upgrade to big'un even though the stats are different, or does he not?

thx in advance :)

alexh
01-11-2007, 08:24
You have to pay the points for all models in the unit.

T10
01-11-2007, 09:40
You pay points-per-model to upgrade the unit to Big 'Uns. You must upgrade all models, so you cannot chose to have one normal Orc remaining and then upgrade him to a Boss.

So yes, that results in you paying the Big 'Un upgrade cost + the Boss upgrade cost and still just get a Boss.

-T10

warlord hack'a
04-11-2007, 01:40
a very good reason to never buy unit champs in orc big un units. But look at it from the bright side: a normal orc boss not only gets an extra attack but also an extra ws and an extra S, I think it's the only unit champ that gets this benefit!

Braad
04-11-2007, 01:27
The boss having an extra attack, and opponents forgetting to say they are hitting him, so that you have at least one big guy hitting back in such a low initiative unit is an even better reason to take him.

Arnizipal
04-11-2007, 01:32
Especially when you consider the boss has three S5 attacks during the first round of combat (when equipped with an extra choppa - the only true way to equip Big'Unz).

lparigi34
04-11-2007, 20:34
sqigglett has borught a valid point, I started a thread with this issue few months ago.

The thing is that Upgrading a BigUn to a Boss cost the same, whether the unit is made of Orcs or BigUns, but the final Boss profile, whatever the original unit is,remains the same: a biggun with extra attack.

Basically, if in a normal Orc unit you upgrade one to be a boss, and then upgrade the rest to be BigUns, IMO, its the way to be done (pointswise).

But you cant, so basically when you upgrade the boss again to be a BigUn, you are pating for it, but getting nothing else in return.

So, being no valid fair alternative, I tend to leave BigUn bosses out of the equation (i.e. not include them).

Gazak Blacktoof
04-11-2007, 23:04
That's a slightly silly attitude to take. Its really not that many points to be worrying about and can leave you at a disadvantage if a character killer issues a challenge to the unit forcing your warboss to accept the challenge.

Chiungalla
05-11-2007, 02:31
But you cant, so basically when you upgrade the boss again to be a BigUn, you are pating for it, but getting nothing else in return.

That is only if you look at the stats.

But a boss in an unit of BigUn is better then in a unit of common orcs, if you look at the unit as a whole. At least worth the 4 points for the upgrade.