PDA

View Full Version : Tomb King Lord/Heroes Help

moose
01-11-2007, 13:49
I've only just started collecting tomb kings, the following list is what i own so far.

CORE:
16 Skeleton Warriors
16 Skeleton Warriors
16 Skeleton Archers
8 Skeleton Light Cavalry

SPECIAL:
3 Chariots
3 Chariots
3 Ushabti
1 Tomb Scorpion

RARE:
1 Screaming Skull Catapult
1 Bone Giant
1 Casket of Souls

I've been struggling as to what composition of Lords and Heroes I should use, and what in terms of items to give them, and what units to put them in. Unlike other army books i've read through, it seems very difficult to decide what kind of command would work best.

All advice and any other tips would be most welcome.

Moose.

sainthale1988
01-11-2007, 13:55
first off alway and i mean ALWAYS take the cloak of dunes for your heirophant so he can scarpa if the poopie hits the preverbial fan in his vacinity.
there was a good aticle some years ago in WD which sugested that a tomb king should be placed on foot iside a unit of tomb guard (i know it's not on you list)
if you want to take him mounted get the chariot of fire becuase a its a cool name and you can sing the second verse to Jarusalem whilst moving it but also because he will move like sh~t off a shovel.
i'd also go with a second lich priest (possible your casket of souls?) as magic is so important from turning tomb kings from mediocer to the best army possible
a prince in anouther unit of chariots to give them some hitting power i quite common.
as far as items go i don't have the book in front of me but never forget the enchanted shield! +2 armour which can be combined with a magic weapon should never be sniffed at

hope this helps in some way

marv335
01-11-2007, 14:22
I used to field a King in a unit of tomb guard with the destroyer of eternities, a prince in a chariot, a priest on a horse with some light cavalry and a priest on a casket of souls.

Red_Duke
01-11-2007, 16:46
Well, 3 Liche priests - two on foot and one mounted are probably a good bet (either 1 high liche and 2 liche, or 3 liche pending on whether you take a king or prince) and a King/prince, ideally one on foot and one on a chariot. This covers pretty much all the options you're likely to need, and having the two models for the king is useful in case you take him on a chariot and it gets shot out from under him :)

sainthale1988
01-11-2007, 23:09
Well, 3 Liche priests - two on foot and one mounted are probably a good bet (either 1 high liche and 2 liche, or 3 liche pending on whether you take a king or prince) and a King/prince, ideally one on foot and one on a chariot. This covers pretty much all the options you're likely to need, and having the two models for the king is useful in case you take him on a chariot and it gets shot out from under him :)

ahh so positive! or is it the same as taking an umbrella when you think its gonna rain and thus making sure that the fate never let it happen?

Red_Duke
02-11-2007, 11:02
something like that ;)

Its always good to be prepared if nothing else! plus it doesnt hurt having the option to just take him on foot of course...

moose
02-11-2007, 21:44
Thanks alot for the help guys; this is the idea so far for 3k from your ideas:

Liche High Priest: Staff of Mastery, Golden Ankhra, Cloak of Dunes
Liche Priest: Mounted, Neferras Plaque of Mighty Incantations, Enkhils Kanopi
Liche Priest: Brooch of the Great Desert, Dispel Scroll / Casket of Souls
Tomb King: Destroyer of Eternities, Enchanted Shield, Talisman of Protection, Light Armour
Tomb Prince: Chariot, Light Armour, Shield, Sword of Might, Chariot of Fire

Further comments are most welcome :)

Flypaper
03-11-2007, 01:03
Even at 3K points, that's probably a few too many toys, TBH. :p

Liche High Priest: Staff of Mastery
Statistically, You're better off moving Neferra's Plaques - they're much more effective on a High Priest! If what you're after is a scarier Magic phase, though, the Hieratic Jar is better than either.

Brooch of the Great Desert, Dispel Scroll
You're allowed to take multiple Dispel Scrolls on the same character, remember. The point of the Brooch is that you can take it on a Prince (who can't take Arcane items).

Tomb King: Destroyer of Eternities, Enchanted Shield, Talisman of Protection
The Destroyer is a two-handed weapon, so nix on the shield. :(

Also, the Talisman won't do much - as a general rule, it's not worth bothering with a ward save unless it's at least 5+. If you drop both the Shield and the Talisman you've got the points for the superior Collar of Shapesh.

Tomb Prince: Chariot, Light Armour, Shield, Sword of Might
Since he's mounted, a mundane Spear has pretty much the same effect as the SoM. If you really want him to have a magic weapon, the best option is the Spear of Antarhak for a few more points. Edit: though he obviously can't take it with the Chariot of Fire. I'd prefer just the Spear, TBH.

forgottenlor
03-11-2007, 08:08
It is critical with a chariot unit that you attack and break and enemy in one round. If you do not, your chariot unit will probably begin to disintegrate, as you are normally at a great disadvantage in static combat resolution.

That is why I think the chariot of fire and flail combination is very effective for a prince.

Both the sword of might and spear of Antarhak are most effective in prolonged combats, which you don't really want chariots to be in. Personally if I had to be in this situation I would prefer my prince having strength 5 from the sword of might then perhaps having a chance to heal himself with a strength 4 spear (after the charge).

Flypaper
03-11-2007, 23:53
Both the sword of might and spear of Antarhak are most effective in prolonged combats, which you don't really want chariots to be in. Personally if I had to be in this situation I would prefer my prince having strength 5 from the sword of might then perhaps having a chance to heal himself with a strength 4 spear (after the charge).
Well, if you're genuinely building to survive multiple rounds of combat, then you have the option of running both the Spear and the Banner of the Undying legion in the unit.

...That's not why I suggested it, though. The point to the Spear, as I see it, is to keep the chariot unit at full unit strength so that it's effective for multiple combats. The limited tarpitting factor is just a bonus.

Having said that, I personally favour the mundane weapons option. Spear and Flail are both good, though on a Prince I tend towards the better armour save (S7 is too good to ignore on a King!). Warbanner over the Chariot of Fire, though. :p