PDA

View Full Version : Orc & Goblin Army - 2250 Points

Einholt
01-11-2007, 21:57
Howdy. I used to play with a 1000 point list, but decided to upgrade it to 2250. I am trying to make a versatile and balanced list that can face any army, (trying to avoid having a different list against each army). So here is my new and revised army list. Feel free to comment on it. I can use any helpful suggestions.

(Both of the goblin units will be using bows.)

2250 Point List

Characters - 634
1 Black Orc Warboss [General] (Warboss Umm's Best Boss 'At, Nibbla's Itty Ring, Heavy Armour, Shield) = 204
1 Black Orc Big Boss [BSB] (Battle Standard Bearer, Gork's Waaagh! Banner, Heavy Armour, Boar) = 155
1 Orc Shaman (Level 2 Wizard, The Horn of Urgok) = 140
1 Night Goblin Shaman (Level 2 Wizard, 2 Dispell Scroll) = 135

Core - 742
24 Orc Boyz (Full Command, Shields) = 174 <--- Orc Shaman
24 Orc Boyz (Full Command, Additional Choppa) = 198 <--- Black Orc Big Boss
20 Night Goblins (Musician, 2 Fanatics) = 114 <--- Night Goblin Shaman
20 Night Goblins (Musician, 2 Fanatics) = 114
5 Forest Goblin Spider Riders (Musician) = 71

Special - 548
20 Black Orcs (Full Command, Shields) = 318 <--- Black Orc Warboss
1 Orc Boar Chariot = 80
1 Orc Boar Chariot = 80
2 Goblin Spear Chukka = 70

Rare - 325
1 Giant = 205
3 Trolls = 120

Bernardinatti
02-11-2007, 00:58
Hi,

This seems like a fairly balanced list and you seem to have some idea of what you are doing and what you want your army to do.
However, personally, (and this is just my opinion of course, i'm sure many would disagree with me :)) i would change a couple of things.

I personally find, a killer build for the Warboss is the Akk'rit axe, iron gnashers, enchanted shield and umms best boss at. This gives you a 3+ save on foot or mounted on wyvern, 1+ if on boar, with a 5+ ward save, killing blow and +1strength on 1st round of combat and re-rolling misses. I have had this used against me multiple times to great effect.

I would give both Orc boy units shields, that gives em a 4+ save in CC combined with toughness 4 it means they will stick around for a while, not to mention its slightly cheaper, and being fielded in those sorts of numbers they're really there to deny the enemy kills and win on combat resolution rather than necessarily doing damage. One tactic i like to go for is using Savage boyz, they are more expensive and more vulnerable to an extent (nothing like watching a cannonball bounce off them with a lucky ward save) but while frenzied they do not have to take a psychology test, and this is what lets the orcs down every time, everytime they have to roll leadership, they are gonna flee 50-60% of the time.

Again, personally i would avoid the night goblins. Maybe take that one unit, to scare enemy knights and elite troops, but two is just a waste of points, goblins are too fragile and not worth their points (even if they are cheap). A trick i have used in the past is to put my warmachines around the nightgoblins, fast cavalry and flanking units are too scared to go near the warmachines because a couple of fanatics would slaughter fast cavalry and scouts. Also i believe the bows are really a waste of points, the nightgoblins are really just an FDS (Fanatic Delivery System).

Also, i would go for wolfriders in place of the spiderriders, they are a little bit cheaper and are a whole lot faster, which is what you need for fast cavalry.

The black orcs are fun, i personally love them, but you just have to be aware of the danger in taking a unit that costs almost 400 points and THEN sticking your lord in there....if that unit flees without seeing combat, you are in alot of trouble, so long as your aware of that, you should be fine.

The chariots are an ok all round option, but beware, there are a lot of armies that can field strength 7+ things, and that really means 160 points gone in the blink of an eye if you're not careful.

Giant is also a mixed bag, but he's just so fun its worth taking him, although he will attract a LOT of fire. just be prepared for him to be dead by the second round for a lot of games.

Trolls are a waste of points, you need to keep them near the general for them to be any good, and even that is not a certainty. You should not have to keep a unit near the general for it to be of any real use. They're good on paper, but i have yet to see them be effective on the table.

Well that is my two cents worth, i hope you found it useful and not a harsh critique...really it is a good list and i wouldn't mind pitting it against some of mine.

Bernardinatti.

Snoozer
02-11-2007, 16:30
I don't usually comment on other peoples army lists as I happen to think that they should play with a list that they like the idea of,

that said I like to use my fighty characters in units like orc boyz, meaning units with a lot of static combat resolution, the boyz provide the static and the Black Orc Warboss provides the killing, this is also why I use shields on the boyz. Black Orcs on the other hand can take good care of them self's and this way you have 1 more unit that the enemy has to worry about.

:D

Einholt
03-11-2007, 04:03
Thanks for the feedback so far guys. I've taken what you've said to mind and made some revisions.

So I took out the unit of trolls (No body seems to like them), and one chariot. I made room for an additional unit of wolf riders, two more spear chukkas, some extra goblins and boys in the units, and a more tooled up Warboss.

So the plan with this army is to basically march down the middle with my three big orc blocks. With my heroes spread as they are among the units, I hope that it will make it more difficult to focus fire on a single unit. The general's unit will have the static CR that orcs typically provide plus the brutal attacks from the Warboss. The goblins will stay close to the spear chukkas on each side and handle against any threats like fast cavalry (Fanatics!). They'll be using bows from afar. Fast cavalry will handle siege weapons and flanks if possible. The giant will do what giants do best, get targeted and draw fire, and if lucky, SMASH FACE.

2250 Point List

Characters - 700
1 Black Orc Warboss [General] (Ulag's Akrit Axe, Warboss Imbad's Iron Gnashas ,Warboss Umm's Best Boss 'At, Enchanted Shield, Boar, Heavy Armour) = 275
1 Black Orc Big Boss [BSB] (Battle Standard Bearer, Gork's Waaagh! Banner, Heavy Armour, Boar) = 155
1 Night Goblin Shaman (Level 2 Wizard, Nibblas 'Itty Ring, 1 Dispell Scroll) = 130

Core - 807
25 Orc Boyz (Full Command, Shields) = 180 <--- Black Orc Warboss
25 Orc Boyz (Full Command, Shields) = 180 <--- Black Orc Big Boss
21 Night Goblins (Musician, 2 Fanatics) = 117 <--- Night Goblin Shaman
21 Night Goblins (Musician, 2 Fanatics) = 117
5 Goblin Wolf Riders (Musician, Spears) = 71

Special - 538
20 Black Orcs (Full Command, Shields) = 318 <--- Orc Shaman
1 Orc Boar Chariot = 80

Rare - 205
1 Giant = 205

How are the modifications? Come on fellow orcs and goblins, I know there are more of you out there! Speak up!

Einholt
13-11-2007, 03:46
I dropped the unit of black orcs and replaced them with a unit of orc boyz. For the special slot I threw back another chariot. Had enough points for one more unit of spider riders.
Everyone's thoughts?

2250 Point List

Characters - 700
1 Black Orc Warboss [General] (Ulag's Akrit Axe, Warboss Imbad's Iron Gnashas, Warboss Umm's Best Boss 'At, Enchanted Shield, Boar, Heavy Armour) = 275
1 Night Goblin Shaman (Level 2 Wizard, Nibblas 'Itty Ring, 1 Dispell Scroll) = 130

Core - 1040
24 Orc Boyz (Full Command, Shields) = 174 <--- Black Orc Warboss
24 Orc Boyz (Full Command, Shields) = 174 <--- Black Orc Big Boss
24 Orc Boyz (Full Command, Shields) = 174 <--- Orc Shaman
21 Night Goblins (Musician, 2 Fanatics) = 117 <--- Night Goblin Shaman
21 Night Goblins (Musician, 2 Fanatics) = 117

Special - 305
1 Orc Boar Chariot (Extra Crew) = 85
1 Orc Boar Chariot = 80

Rare - 205
1 Giant = 205

SevenSins
13-11-2007, 17:09
I like it, a good bit of everything, ranked toughguys, chariots, hitty characters and flanking forces as well as some warmachines and decent magic. Looks like a nice all-rounder to me (this is instead of my usual comments of "Squigs!!!" :) )