PDA

View Full Version : Shooting in Ranks at Large Targets?

Morglum5780
02-11-2007, 03:36
Hello.

If i have a unit that is 5 x 5 rank and file with bows, can all 25 of the models shoot at large targets and targets on hills? It is my understanding that they would all have LoS. Thanks

Atrahasis
02-11-2007, 04:08
You are correct.

MarcoPollo
02-11-2007, 18:13
Really. I never thought that was true. Never thought about it to be honest. Kind of makes sense though.

Care to elaborate on a good justification.

Atrahasis
02-11-2007, 18:14
The only thing that normally stops models in rear ranks from shooting is the models in the front rank blocking their LOS.

Models on a hill and large targets can be seen over interposing models, so those front rankers no longer block LOS.

Chicago Slim
02-11-2007, 19:58
Yeah, it's actually pretty explicit in the 7th ed BRB. Don't have a page reference at the moment, but check near the beginning of the Shooting Phase section, or possibly earlier, where the book first discusses Line of Sight.

Xavier
02-11-2007, 20:55
Page 8 and 9, Line of Sight.

Belerophon709
03-11-2007, 21:02
What if the 5x5 formation is on a hill, overlooking another hill with a large target behind that second hill?

DeathlessDraich
04-11-2007, 11:23
1) Large targets block each other's LOS - although it will be impossible to do so completely.
2) Hills and Woods mutually block LOS, *normally*.

The rules state that it is up to players to agree upon how terrain blocks LOS relative to other terrain (e.g. buildings, ruins usually) and whether it constitutes difficult, very difficult etc. It is possible to specify that some hills are lower/higher than other terrain.

Another observation:
3) This is originally Atrahasis' observation, strange but true:
A 5X5 unit can declare a charge on a Dragon placed on its flank zone (closer to the first rank than the rear rank)!

One.Fit.Outcast.
06-11-2007, 01:23
argh i never knew this! oh well, no-one ever shoots basic guys at my dragon anyway =]
it does make sense but still

Kroxigore
06-11-2007, 11:01
1) Large targets block each other's LOS - although it will be impossible to do so completely.
2) Hills and Woods mutually block LOS, *normally*.

The rules state that it is up to players to agree upon how terrain blocks LOS relative to other terrain (e.g. buildings, ruins usually) and whether it constitutes difficult, very difficult etc. It is possible to specify that some hills are lower/higher than other terrain.

Another observation:
3) This is originally Atrahasis' observation, strange but true:
A 5X5 unit can declare a charge on a Dragon placed on its flank zone (closer to the first rank than the rear rank)!

Sorry, but can you give me a reference for the last point? IIRC, the 'LOS-zone' is measured from the front of the regiment, not the back. I mean, it does make sense, but is this explicitely supported by the rules?

Atrahasis
06-11-2007, 13:16
LOS is per-model, not per-unit. Page 8.

Only one model in the charging unit needs LOS to the target to declare the charge. Page 18.

sainthale1988
07-11-2007, 14:46
do woods block line of sight from units are on hills? esp if the woods themesleves prevent 'model line of sight'

M_M
07-11-2007, 15:19
depends on what your have agreed with your opponent, but where i play it is always woods block line of sight for units on hills, large targets etc

sainthale1988
07-11-2007, 15:27
oh so there are no hard and fast rule like in 40k about terrain 'height'? its just irritating becuase hills give so many advantages already to shoot armies (chough*dwarf*chough) being able to see over the only thing that give decent cover to most combaty armies is defunct

Rodman49
10-11-2007, 23:14
oh so there are no hard and fast rule like in 40k about terrain 'height'? its just irritating becuase hills give so many advantages already to shoot armies (chough*dwarf*chough) being able to see over the only thing that give decent cover to most combaty armies is defunct

Hills will still block LOS unless you are on a higher level hill I believe.

Todosi
11-11-2007, 00:40
Hills block actual line of sight. Check Pg 9 for clarification. The advantages of being on a hill are being able to see over models on the ground. The disadvantage of being on a hill is that the back rows of troops on the ground can fire at you. That's all.