PDA

View Full Version : Just for fun - Aspects of the Laughing God...

Kage2020
02-11-2007, 03:03
Well, when reading through the Aspect thread, it reminded me how we use the term "aspect" to refer to those Ways of the Path of the Warrior that at least mythically represent the many faces of the God of War. We tend not to refer to an Aspect upon the Path of the Seer, perhaps because it is not so intimately linked to an Eldar diety.

(Arguably you could say that it is linked to Morai-Heg, but that entity is "dead," whereas Khaine is merely "mostly dead," to quote Miracle Max from Princess Bride. :D)

Sssoooo... The Point.

Based upon what limited information we have on the Harlequins, how might their various "troop" types be reflected as aspects of the Laughing God?

Sure, you could buy purely into the fact that it is hierarchal and buy into the wargame origins, but - for fun! - imagine that this is not necessarily the case?

So, what would the various "troop" types reflect of their divine benefactor?

Kage

P.S. Again, remember it's just for fun. It was a random musing on my behalf and I wondered what other people thought. :D

[SD] Bob Plisskin
02-11-2007, 03:07
Their imagery is too clownlike for me not to think of the aspect of the unicycle rider and the aspect of the big giant pants.

edited to note that pants = trousers to all americans out there

Hive Mind 33
02-11-2007, 03:17
Bob Plisskin;2055414']Their imagery is too clownlike for me not to think of the aspect of the unicycle rider and the aspect of the big giant pants.

edited to note that pants = trousers to all americans out there

We call them pants too

Kage2020
02-11-2007, 03:38
To respond in vein, just because you're a clown doesn't mean you're a joke. Consider that many children, and not a very small fraction of adults, find clowns to be rather frightening. :D

Anyway, moving beyond the miniatures and the painting schemes. After all, if you painted many Imperial miniatures in the same colours they would look clownish too, but it wouldn't make their 'fluff' any less intimidating. :D

Kage

[SD] Bob Plisskin
02-11-2007, 03:42
Maybe I got confused and Americans see pants as trousers but not underpants, and in the UK it means both, but meh!

ON TOPIC and serious this time...

It's strange because I would see the harlie's on the table top as the warrior aspect of the trickster god, other aspects would be like political for example. Aspects being different ways to acheive trickery and deception....

EDIT - the outcome depends on what you see the laughing god as, just a meddler for the sake of meddling (ie the joker) or as a kind of Tzeentch-like schemer.

Rockerfella
02-11-2007, 09:05
Aspects of Cegorach? Hmmmmm. Well!!

He's obviously well known for his guile and cunning. Its said he uses these mostly, and a touch of martial strength, to overcome his enemies.

The danger here for me is to simply take the Khaine blueprint, and map that over anything I try to do with Cegorach. I'm so dumb! *sniffles*

Seriously though? Cegorachs aspects: Guile, cunning, speed, utterly evil/twisted sense of humour (when it comes to the baddies) intelligence, martial power. How do weassign these types of character traits to the Harlequins?

I'll be back with more later!

Cheers!

Chilltouch
02-11-2007, 11:04
The different Aspects, I would say, are the different roles in the Great Dance. The Aspects of Cegorach? Well, who knows - The Aspect of the Laughing God (Troupe Master), the Aspect of the Narrator (Shadowseer), the Aspect of Slaanesh (Solitaire) and so on - the different roles are the different aspects.

Kage2020
02-11-2007, 21:43
Well, the idea is to reflect something about the Laughing God back onto the Harlequins. For example, the Solitaire might be seen as the darkness inherent in the Laughing Goid -- his Loki side, for example.

The Warlocks become the tricksters, perhaps? All illusion and misdirection.

Kage

IJW
02-11-2007, 21:49
Yep, Trickster would be the main one missing for me. Misdirection, turning the opponent's strengths against them, never getting bogged down in the mundane.

Another would the the 'untouchable' Fool figure - doesn't appear very focused, but somehow all the trouble slides off and hits someone else - luck incarnate.

Kage2020
02-11-2007, 22:13
Well, Fool could technically be Loki, and Mime the Trickster (assuming that you didn't go for Warlock-as-Trickster approach).

Kage

Flame Boy
04-11-2007, 21:10
Yes, but the Mime does suggest an alternate aspect of the trickster archetype, in that it represents the quiet subversion, rather than a showy, more open trickery. I would imagine the Warlocks would attempt to divert people's attention, the mime is more focused on being less conspicuous? I'm not sure myself now I've thought about it more, but that was my first impression. Might be useful to consider.

del-patch
04-11-2007, 21:31
it doesn't mean both...

Laughing gas, the shadow seer (or mime or clown or some other equivalent) has laughing gas in them grenades!

Death reaper (or whatever the new name are being calleded) shoots custard pies....

harlequins kiss= squirty flower.