PDA

View Full Version : New bases of dragons. How do they work now?

Elrond
02-11-2007, 12:24
Sorry if this has been already discussed in another thread.. anyone knows which kind of bases have dragons now? We've been noticed about the new chariot base on the new high elves dragon model.. so: is this for every dragon in the game by now or is it just for the big HE star dragon?? What about in game terms?
:confused:

theunwantedbeing
02-11-2007, 12:35
The new ones have chariot bases.
Just the new ones, everyone else gets to keep their normal large monster bases.

Nekrodamus
02-11-2007, 15:22
Usually the base delivered with the model declares it's 'offical' base size. So you are forced to use this 'I hope you don't have any template weapons!'-base - or still use the old dragon model.

Anaris
02-11-2007, 16:52
Hmm, actually doesn't the rulebook determine the legal base size of a unit in WFB? Dragons are Monsters and should be on a Monster base, not a Chariot one.

The base a model is supplied with determines the min size base that model can be on in 40k, but not WFB?

Xavier
02-11-2007, 18:37
I'm with Anaris on this one, the rule book determines base size, not the base a model has.

Certainly in this case at any rate. For infantry on 20mm and 25mm they are mounted on what they are supplied with, but in this instance I think it's a bit stupid to have a disadvantaging base for one model of a dragon, and not for any other dragons.

Nothing in the HE book states they should use this size of base.

Anaris
02-11-2007, 21:06
Having said that, they will need to produce something, as I know for a fact (i.e. sat and watch him building it) that a GW staffer and friend had to chop half the rocky base off the model in order to get it fit onto the correct size base.

So now, we'll probably see a lot of players having modified it to fit a standard monster base and then a whole more leaving it on the base it came with.

Rules wise, it does make a difference.

Xavier
03-11-2007, 15:19
Cut it off the rock, get a flying stand and glue it 'in flight' to a monster base :p

Kotobuki
03-11-2007, 18:15
I don't know about you guys, but my rule book says "They are normally mounted on a 40mm or larger base." This is, of course, in reference to monsters. I would say a dragon with a 50x100mm base is mounted on a "larger base." Very much like a giant mounted on a 50x75mm base. Might just be my book that says that.

Elrond
04-11-2007, 11:36
Hope in an official rule or answer from GW staff as soon as possible. Why do the High Elves have to use that kind of base now? I'd understand that for the Star Dragon to rappresent its huge size, but is unjustified for the other types of. :wtf:

FatOlaf
04-11-2007, 13:48
Personally I always thought the monster bases were far too small for monsters like a dragon. I think this will be the size of bases to come for beasties of this magnitude.
And by the fact the rules say they dont have to be on a 40mm then rule of thumb is what ever size the base it comes with then that is the base it's meant to be on.

cornixt
04-11-2007, 14:30
What can't GW put the base size in with the rules? They have released rules in the new army books and haven't released the actual model for several months. It isn't as if they update the base size chart each time a new book comes out.

logan054
04-11-2007, 15:20
yeah personally i think its whats you model comes with, at the end of the day if your playing with friends or what no i dont see what the issue is. I do think however that we are going to see all dragons shift to the large bases as armies are redone, dont worry until you get a new model :)

Menset
04-11-2007, 15:59
Has this debate been resolved for the new giant model or is that also undecided like the new dragon?

Finnigan2004
04-11-2007, 16:49
Not looking forward to some clown mounting a chaos lord with a berserker sword on a dragon with a 50X100 base.

"Ha ha... I can't believe that you let me get a flank charge on your dragon with saurus warriors."

rolls dice-- no wounds.

"No wounds-- well, that's no surprise, I'm still going to massacre you with CR. How many attacks do you get? (looks at handful of dice) What???"

I guess that I'm saying that I think they need to put out consistent rules for base sizes.

superknijn
04-11-2007, 18:42
Well, they hould at least update that PDF on the UK site. It's from 2003, IIRC.

logan054
04-11-2007, 20:37
Not looking forward to some clown mounting a chaos lord with a berserker sword on a dragon with a 50X100 base.

"Ha ha... I can't believe that you let me get a flank charge on your dragon with saurus warriors."

rolls dice-- no wounds.

"No wounds-- well, that's no surprise, I'm still going to massacre you with CR. How many attacks do you get? (looks at handful of dice) What???"

I guess that I'm saying that I think they need to put out consistent rules for base sizes.

I like your way of thinking, i guess then i should keep the larger base for my chaos lord on dragon which i will be converting from the high elf dragon :) add in a chaos amulet for good measure ;)

Urgat
04-11-2007, 20:42
[QUOTE=Elrond;2061305]Hope in an official rule or answer from GW staff as soon as possible. [QUOTE]

They haven't done it for giants, so keep hoping :p

Elrond
05-11-2007, 12:40
So... I have only to convince my opponents every time, that the chariot base of my Dragon is "not what you're seeing", flying my hand in front of them like Obi-Wan :wtf::D

One.Fit.Outcast.
06-11-2007, 00:18
It does seem a bit stupid that they've suddenly decided to change the dragon base size just to make a more dynamic model as it messes up the rules, yes i do like that way of thinking with the converting a new high elf dragon evil to get plenty of berserker sword extra attacks though...that'd be really good if charged by cavalry, especially if you could stop them attacking by using an item forcing them to take a Ld test. armour of damnation it may be? I think they should just pick a base size and stick to it, not really fussed which!