PDA

View Full Version : Mechanised Troops

BioHaZarD55
02-11-2007, 21:09
A quick question for my fellow Warseer addicts ...

I am starting a Steel Legion Mechanised Regiment using the Forge World Krieg troops. My question is about the troopers kit, as they are being ferried around in nice air conditioned Chimera's would they take there full kit with them when they dismount or would they just load up on the basics and leave most of there kit on the vehicle?

Ktotwf
02-11-2007, 21:24
It would depend on how long they expected to be operating I think.

IIRC however, Mechanized armies usually have supply trucks that follow them around in convoys.

Vaulkhar
02-11-2007, 21:26
They'll take 'combat kit' - weapon, ammo, survival gear. Heavy stuff (bedrolls, additional medkits, long range voxcasters, etc) that's not needed will stay in the Chimera.

Oh and the only way to get aircon in a Chimera is to open the hatches...

Argastes
02-11-2007, 22:19
If they're anything like real mechanized infantry, they will leave their rucks in (or hung on the outside of) their vehicle when they dismount, and take only combat kit.

It would depend on how long they expected to be operating I think.

Mechanized infantry would very rarely, if ever, operate in a fashion that would separate them from their vehicles for more than a short time. In a mechanized unit, the dismount team and the vehicle are a team; they don't split up, and the dismount team doesn't leave their vehicle and go off on their own to operate as "straight-leg infantry".

IIRC however, Mechanized armies usually have supply trucks that follow them around in convoys.

Well, all armies, mechanized or otherwise, require supply lines connecting the operating forces to sources of supplies. But I think the OP was asking about the personal gear of the troops.

Col. Dash
02-11-2007, 22:40
Argastes thats not entirely true. While we did operate as a team, we split up quite often, especially in mountainous terrain. Many time I remember humping up a mountain with a javelin sight banging on my back in a ruck with my loader with the missile bitching and moaning behind me, sneaking around the enemy's suspected position to hit them from behind with the brads at an appointed time pulled forward out of their nice comfy encampment and distracted the enemy. While overall we were not gone long from each other it was still 12 hours or so. However neither element would have survived without working together and hitting at the right time.
--As to the original question, when we went off on our own and were not expecting serious weather, we would simply bring a poncho liner and use our body armor as pillows, typically camping under a bridge or something. If we were going to be separated for more than a night from our brads then we would carry rucks packed to the top with food. Nothing sucked worse than being out for 4 days away from resupply when we were only supposed to be 2 and having to use Katusas to translate to Korean vendors for food for American money. If I ever eat another Lotte version of a funion it will be too soon, and I will beat the next person who offers me octopus flavored potato chips. Its all fun and games until someone uses a javelin for a baseball bat.
Oh I doubt there is AC in a chimera, we are talking WW2 technology and when I got out of the army, we didnt have AC in our bradleys and that was only a couple years ago.

BioHaZarD55
02-11-2007, 23:02
Thanks for the replies guys, I think then I will leave the big rugsacks off the troops and instead pile my Chimera's with lots of storage.

As for the aircon, surely the mighty imperium would care about its troops welfare above all else and install some AC and maybe even a CD player in there vehicles ;)

Burnthem
02-11-2007, 23:02
doctrines and tactics would vary from regiment to regiment so feel free to make up whatever you want! They can operate as a single unit or split up completely - its up to you.

As for equipment, go with the light combat kit, or CEFO as its known in the british army (Combat Equipment Fighting Order), just ammo, water and a little bit of food. Oh, and dont forget your spare pair of socks! the single most important thing in an infantrymans kit!

RexTalon
02-11-2007, 23:18
and having to use Katusas to translate to Korean vendors for food for American money. If I ever eat another Lotte version of a funion it will be too soon, and I will beat the next person who offers me octopus flavored potato chips.
LOL!
Oh man, did you ever try their version of a corn dog? Those things are so gross!

It wasn't the squid flavored potato chips that bothered me though. It was the actual squid on a stick, and the smell of kimche that permeated every native human in that country that got to me.

Back on topic, Col Dash is quite right. It depends upon the mission. (as does everything else)
And the comment about Air Conditioning (AirCon in Korea) was correct. You'd need a specialized attachment on the back for that. And even if you had that attachment, it would be broken half the time, and wouldn't work the other half.

Eisen
02-11-2007, 23:32
LOL!
Oh man, did you ever try their version of a corn dog? Those things are so gross!

It wasn't the squid flavored potato chips that bothered me though. It was the actual squid on a stick, and the smell of kimche that permeated every native human in that country that got to me.

Sounds a bit like 141st Inf.'s Japanese vacation. I'm pretty sure that the Asian country that understands fried chicken, or indeed any food in nugget form, hasn't been founded yet.

Back on topic, Col Dash is quite right. It depends upon the mission. (as does everything else)
And the comment about Air Conditioning (AirCon in Korea) was correct. You'd need a specialized attachment on the back for that. And even if you had that attachment, it would be broken half the time, and wouldn't work the other half.

Or would work too well - anything with communications gear in it gets air-conditioned out both ends. If you have a command vehicle (in Guard terms, anything with Improved Comms), you have air conditioning that not only works, but also causes ice to form on interior surfaces of the vehicle. In desert conditions. Seriously.

Tell you what, though - especially DKoK vehicles, I'd expect the Imperial NBC rigs on their vehicles to work, much better than the modern vehicle NBC filtration systems. Because of the way their masks are built, I'd suspect their mounted filtration systems work kind of like the American M42, where the canister plugs into a central filtration system... which, these days at least, is subject to the broke or not working rule.

Tehkonrad
03-11-2007, 00:07
I'm guessing that valhallan chimeras would have to be air conditioned if they fought on any non ice worlds

Omniassiah
03-11-2007, 03:50
I would say your safe with a Backpack on most troops, can be spare ammo, water, food and other immediate need gear. If the chimeras are like any of the IFV's I've seen in warzones they got more crap strapped to them then you can shake a fist at. Multiple Rucksacks, Camo-netting, Water cans, Fuel cans, communications antenna's, Sandbags, and in one case a couple of Claymores wired up on the sides.

Eisen
03-11-2007, 04:32
... and in one case a couple of Claymores wired up on the sides.

I don't know who that Brad commander was, but I admire his sneakiness. Not like the backblast is going to punch through, and so long as you don't clip the wires... it's like the Anti-Personnel Charge from BattleTech, only, well, more real. Could probably use that as a modeled counts-as storm bolter or stubber, too. Consider that idea stolen.

Argastes
03-11-2007, 07:44
Fun story about putting Claymores on tanks: In Vietnam, tanks operating with CAP forces would often have a row of Claymores down either track skirt, with the detonation wires running into driver's compartment through the bilge pump hole. Apparently, rather than using clackers, a common arrangement was to have each detonation wire hooked up to a steel nail driven through a section of board, and the driver would have another nail with the battery hooked up to it in circuit with each claymore's wire, so that he could fire them by just touching his nail to any of the nails in the board--or fire all of them rapidly by dragging his nail down the row! Another trick was apparently to put a quantity of C4, wrapped in fragmentation material, onto the turret aerial mount and run the wire down into the turret; that one was effective over 360 degrees, although obviously with a shorter range, and seems to have been used mainly when enemies got on top of the tank or were trying to.

I guess all that's completely unrelated to 40K. I think that a similar close-in APERS defense system would make a neat option for IG vehicles, though. Something like, once per game they can be fired and all infantry within 6" of the vehicle take an S4 AP6 hit.

BrotherAdso
03-11-2007, 11:15
Back in 2ed, "smoke launchers" mimicked this effect quite nicely by being able to lob actual grenades. I have very fond memories of driving my Rhino into an Ork Mob and dropping Frag templates all around. I figure putting 12", Assault 1 grenade launchers on vehicles in this edition would be a similar fix.

-Adso

Oh, and Re: Food in Asia. The Chinese understand fried chicken. Well, fried anything. You haven't lived until you've eaten a pigeon which was fried whole (well, after plucking/cleaning, of course). Also, in Nanjing, I had the most amazing tofu-nuggets...they're just little deep fried cubes or sticks of tofu with super-hot chili sauce.