PDA

View Full Version : Mega-advice thread

pox
03-11-2007, 02:02
I thought of doing this a while back, sort of an etiquette/advice thread, for both beginners and vets. heres a few to start, in no particular order.

-show up on time, ready to play. this means finished army list, dice, rules, minis, counters, templates, lucky rabbits foot, etc. In most tournaments, this is mandatory.

-know the rules of your army. when using new troops/war machines, review them before play, and have them handy.

-painted armies play better.

-roll where your opponent can see. its hard to ask people that, and if someone does, don't assume they are calling you a cheater.

-on that note, don't cheat. gamers are a small, hard-core bunch. you DO NOT want to get blacklisted.

-ask before touching minis.

-don't give advise on painting or playing unless you are asked for it. Its very easy to insult someone, whether its tactics or looks.

-being a poor loser is bad, being a poor winner is worse.

-if you don't play a game, don't insult it. (the ole' 40k versus fantasy is stale, different games for different people. along with war machine/confrontation/magic the gathering/etc. I have not seen anything good come from these discussions, but respect has turned a number of good players to my game of choice. MUAHAHAHA!!)

-there are different ways to play, learn what you like, and know what your opponent is looking for. I love fun games, and super-competition games, and everything in between. on that note, a good rule of thumb is tourneys are for killin', whilst leagues/campaigns are for fun and stories.

-tired of losing to your friends army every time? if you trust them, switch armies. I learn the most about my enemy when I am him, and I see new tactics when someone else uses my stuff.

-give "close-calls" to your opponent. once a charge is within a half-inch or so, I call it good. splitting hairs will not win for you, and being easy-going will get you more games. on the flip side, I give close calls for my army to my opponent. it makes the game more smooth, and when I win, I know its a fair win. (this one may be controversial, but even in torneys, it has served me well. you have a sportsmanship score, after all. even if you don't, its the difference of having fun or pulling teeth for eight hours.)

-only "trash-talk" if its fun, and your opponents are doing it too. this more then anything leads to sour games. if you don't honestly respect your opponent, why are you playing them?

-play and encourage the younger gamers.(I swear at some point they stop being annoying.) There are two players at my shop that I first played when they were 13, they have been some of my toughest opponents to date. it only takes about a year to get down how to play on a tournament level, and if you give them that time, you will have an endless supply of worthy players in your shop.

-be a part of the community. referee tournaments from time to time, help make terrain, teach new players, host painting workshops, and help out the shopkeeper when he's sick, or when his family needs attention. be aware of new customers in the shop, and keep the bad language to a minimum. (I swear, I need to just make flash cards with profanity on them, so I can just let my opponent know what I think of his khorne-chosen-cavalry, rather then the whole shop.)

-respect, respect, respect. I do this for fun, this is my hobby. this is my opponents hobby. we are here to have fun. its not work, or obligation, or punishment. its a small niche market, a tiny corner of nerdom that we have claimed as our own. there's not a lot of room for hate and discord, show respect to your friends as often as you can.

alright, thats what I got off the top of my head. feel free to add your thoughts, or ask questions that might seem common but have no other place to voice them.

mistformsquirrel
03-11-2007, 02:19
Good advice all around. Most of its fairly common sense - but then "common sense" tends to be rather uncommon. Some of its stuff that I admit, I'd be likely to do if I didn't get warned about it >.< (I'm new to this game - but I have a notoriously bad habit of chiming in with tactical advice in others; good to know maybe that's not the best idea as I start my Warhammering)

dalakh
03-11-2007, 07:30
-painted armies play better.

lol I found this to be true as well, not only the look, they actually do better in games too ;)
Good points you got there, eventhough jerks do exist and you can't help it, we can always try to improve the community as a whole.

AFoolProofPlan
03-11-2007, 10:26
"-ask before touching minis."
I take this one seriously. I've read some posts on another forum about how one kid tried to pocket a $20 Grey knight Termie. Needless to say, He got kicked out of the store, and was banned. I know not everyone is like that, but still. Ever since I read that, I've been over the top with touching other people's mini issue

zak
03-11-2007, 23:43
Just to add a couple of my own...

1. Have respect for your opponents models. I have asked someone to hand me a unit before. They did this by pushing the models along the table scraping bits of paint away. Suffice to say I was not happy and he knew about it.
2. If you get a good role or a lucky role then be sportsman like about it. No one appreciates you laughing in their face and bragging about it for the next five minutes.
3. Against an inexperienced player give advice and be prepared to cut them some slack. This as stated above means that the new guys are more likely to stick around rather than get soundly beaten on 5 occasions and sell their models.
4. If you have flatulence, then be polite and don't share it around. Dayhan at our club has a habit of clearing rooms. Never pleasent!
5. Cleanliness is next to Godliness allegedly. So before going to you club/shop have a wash and put some deoderant on. As an GW staff member I can tell you that 20 unwashed guys in a smallish shop, with little ventilation and a lot of overhead lighting is not pleasant. My girlfriend at the time used to refuse to enter the shop and for good reason.
6. If you are going to use non-GW models or stand-ins then let your opponent know beforehand exactly what they are and what they are armed with.

I'm sure there are many more, but it's getting late.

Warlord Gnashgrod
04-11-2007, 00:27
After rolling the dice, remove the misses. For that matter, try and use dice that are easy to read. Some are harder to see what the roll is than others.

Also try and roll in a relatively clear area, so the dice don't hit any models, if possible.

All the others I have to agree with. Especially those of painted minis play better and always ask before touching models.