PDA

View Full Version : New Orc Player Needing Help

JCOLL
03-11-2007, 01:56
Hey guys, I'm starting to play Warhammer Fantasy and going with Orcs and Goblins as my first army. I'm familiar with Warhammer 40k so I understand how to make a list, but I'm wanting to have your info on what I need/what I already have.

1 Orc Boar Chariot
1 Unit of Spider Riders
2 Units of Night Goblins
3 Night Goblin Fanatics
1 Giant
1 Unit of Boyz
10 Black Orkz
1 Spear Chukka
1 Doom Diver
5 Hoppers
6 Squigs with Herders
Various Goblin Shammans
Various Goblin Bosses

I'm not concerned with the point values. What I'm wondering is how should I equip my Boyz to make them efficent. What should I add to this army? What should I not include?

I know I will be using the Giant as a huge walking target so that other units can advance to my enemies with little wounding done to them. Other than that I really don't know where to go from there. Any help would be great! Thanks in advance.

lector#1
03-11-2007, 16:15
Id say get a orc warboss just for the extra killiness of them..

im starting an orc army aswell (mine is going to be an all infantry horde army)

and depending on how you want to play personnaly id say cheap as possible maybe give them extra chopa's just for the extra attacks.
and probably some goblin spear chukkas
and a unit of black orcs and make ur orc warboss black orc aswell

huron
03-11-2007, 18:50
i've got a 2k greenskin horde i would reccomend taking a nother spear chukka as you can take 2 for 1 special choice and use a black orc big boss or if you have a 2 k army get a black orc warboss to quell animosty but if you've got a mainly gobbo force use a gobbo warboss and why don't you take a wolf chariot instead of a boar one.

morganthegreat
04-11-2007, 08:45
Look, I hate to bring it up, but you really can't go past a giant. Aside from the fact that when they work, they're devistating, the things make play infinately more enjoyable.

They can pick up enemies and stuff them down thier pants.

Enough said.

Arnizipal
04-11-2007, 16:39
Hmm. You seem to have a good selection of troops.
It would be handy if you could tell us just how big your units are. Unit size is very important for greenskins.

Never field on Orc unit (not even Black Orcs) under 20 strong. 25 Strong is ideal. For Orc Boyz, choppa and shield if the way to go. Savage Orcs and Big'Unz of any kind (except mounted) perform best with two choppaz for sheer kill potential.
Shields on Big'Unz (and to a lesser extent Black Orcs) are a bit of a waste. While using their two choppaz they can't get a good save in close combat, and a 5+ save versus shooting isn't really worth the extra points (especially with all the S4+ magic and shooting these days).
Black Orcs can be given shields when facing Dwarfs, Empire or Elves (armies with lots of shooting). A 4+ save versus shooting is nice, but this will make the unit very expensive.

Goblin units can be fielded 20 strong, but in that case don't expect much of them. Don't give them any command except for a musician (because Goblins WILL flee, it's just a matter of time). Banners are quite a risk in small units such as these, beacuse the unit is easily broken in combat and the banner, once captured, is worth 100 Victory Points (so don't give them banners).
In small units Goblins make half-decent flankers or archers. When fielding Night Goblins this unit is ideal to drop off fanatics near enemy lines and flee to safety/capture table quarters afterwards.
A true combat Goblin unit is at least 30 strong, preferably with champion, standard and musician and all the armour options it can get (which isn't much really). In the case of Night Goblins, definatly add in netters. It's expensive but S3 troops around the Warhammer World will hate you for it. :D
As for weapon options, Goblins can get a decent save if they stick with their handweapon, shield and light armour. Night Goblins aren't so well equipped and are better off with spears.
In straight up battles, Goblins aren't exactly great fighters so adding in a (Night) Goblin big boss is always a good idea if you can spare the points.

Avian
05-11-2007, 09:22
Any help would be great! Thanks in advance.
Well, I have an article on my website called Starting an Orcs & Goblins Army (http://folk.ntnu.no/~tarjeia/avian/tactics/greenskin_starting.php), which you may find useful.