PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Chaos Army?

Necros
03-11-2007, 03:01
So, tomorrow I will be picking up the new chaos army box set. So far, I haven't read the new codex (it's in the army box) but I know the jist of it. I've been playing for going on 14 years now and this will be my 7th army, though I've sold a few that I never completed so I guess you could say it's my 4th. One of those that I sold was a night lords army, about 4-5 years ago. So I'm hoping the new chaos stuff will be more fun.

This is primarily a modelling project. As such, I'm looking for some advice first off on some suggestions, in general, for a usual 2000 pt force. And fluff/color ideas too. I don't expect to get this army big enough for Apocalyse anytime soon, if ever.

I had always wanted to do an Iron Warriors army, but I like the spawns, etc, and since fluffwise they go for bionics over mutations generally, I don't think spawns and other gooey things would fit with the fluff.

I also thought about death guard, but I'm not a big fan of the icky green colors. And my group has a death guard player anyway, may as well not be a copy cat. We also have a 1000 sons player too.

Most of my armies are black, so this time I want to go with some lighter colors, but not pink slaanesh stuff.

So, my first thought is to go with something more "modern military" looking, not necessarly camo but with those greens or desert browns/tans.. however, to throw in the iron warriors angle, they'd be beat up. Armor dented, torn, bullet holes all over, a lot of rust and weathering. They would most likely be an undivided force.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had any advice or ideas .. if you could start a brand new chaos army, what would you do? :)

JCOLL
03-11-2007, 03:23
Well, your first best bet to start is the Codex. It has tons of ideas for color schemes. I'm sure you can find something in there to help you out or point you in a direction you want to go. You will notice that things have changed a lot in the new codex. You can still have a Death Guard army, for example, but not in the same way you could before. Everything has become generic. Yes, this sucks, but they are making it up with a new daemon codex sometime next year. I'm sure you've heard about it. Anyway, before you start on your models, give the Codex a good look over. All your questions will be answered. I used to play an Death Guard army, but since the rules change I was forced to move on from that theme and try some new stuff out. Overall I am very happy with the changes. I think they bring Chaos to what it really is - Chaos. You'll know what I mean when you read through it. My army is basically just a renegade army with different colored Marines. The things that unifies them is a symbol. I really liked the Huron model so I am trying out the Red Corsairs. I hope I helpd you out in some way or another.

Necros
03-11-2007, 04:45
yeah I'm hoping to get some ideas from the codex. I've also been surfing around for a while looking at other armies.

What I'm actually hoping to do is have the army be more like an undivided warband instead of a full fledged legion.. so I'd have a core bunch of marines, and I'd throw in some "allies", so I might have a unit of thousand sons, or a unit of death guard, or whatever. I'm also going to have some berzerkers too in the box set, but I'm actually thinking I might just try and mix and match all the bitz together, for some more unique looking guys and get some different kinda poses going that way.

But, it only comes with 15 normal marines..... why 15? why not 20? Am I supposed to make 3 units of 5? or 1 unit of 10 and 1 unit of 5? 2 units of 5 and a 5 man retinue for the leader? When it comes to regular marines I usually like to take squads of 10 when I can...

grizzly ruin
03-11-2007, 05:07
But, it only comes with 15 normal marines..... why 15? why not 20? Am I supposed to make 3 units of 5? or 1 unit of 10 and 1 unit of 5? 2 units of 5 and a 5 man retinue for the leader? When it comes to regular marines I usually like to take squads of 10 when I can...

Because they want you to buy more boxes :angel:

Deuce Blue
03-11-2007, 05:17
You may consider modelling your force to be a Word Bearers contingent. The Word Bearers worship Chaos in all its glory, so are for the most part considered an undivded force. Also the Word Bearers are very flexible in terms of what units they take, as their armies often reflect the whims of their leaders. So having lots of daemons and spawn with a force of bezerkers, plague marines, etc. would not be out of the ordinary.

Their main color is red, so that would contrast with the normal black you said you have done in the past. Hope this helps, and death to the false Emperor!

Necros
03-11-2007, 06:01
Because they want you to buy more boxes :angel:

Yeah I figured that :p and I shall, but not right off the bat. I'd like the army to be mostly marines though, with a few demony things thrown in for flavor.

Ronin_eX
03-11-2007, 06:08
I'd say buy two and make three squads of 10, gives plenty of troops if you need 'em (or play around and convert the third squad and get a unit of chosen).

Voltaire
03-11-2007, 12:29
The big box combines well with the battleforce to make 3 big 10 man squads and a reasonable number of beserkers and possessed. Its made to deliberately compliment the big box in my opinion.

Smiling Banshee
03-11-2007, 13:20
The Box set is a great place to start, it whats i started with when i began my army. Undivided IMO is also the best choice to start with, plenty of options and flexibility to convincingly ally other troops with marks of the gods (which is great for experimenting with a deciding if you wanna go for an all Khorne or all Tzeentch army at a later date) and you'll be spoilt for choice when the codex daemons comes out. One tip I would offer would be to keep your colour scheme simple, i learnt this the hard way by creating a really elaborate scheme for one of my warbands, the finished models look great but with so much detail on the CSM models it took me and age to get the lot painted, Once youve got it all painted you can always go back to them later and add further detail as you wish.

Emperor's Avenger
03-11-2007, 14:23

Have 1 squad of 10 CSMs and then 5 Chosen. If you get any possessed in the box then you can customise your Chosen with the spare bitz. Someone I know has two Chosen with giant possessed arms which count as power fists.

Necros
03-11-2007, 16:08
Well I've been thinking about it more, I think instead of the military color idea I'm going to go for a bone colored look for the armor, with black trim. I wanna try and make the armor look like it's really bone instead of metal, like an exoskeleton kinda thing. I won't be using too much metalics, maybe just on the guns and other obvious metal parts.

I like that idea with the chosen, I think I'll do that so I'll have 10 normal marines, 10 berzerkers, 5 chosen. One thing i like about this army box set is unlike the last big box I got (tomb kings) I know I'm pretty much gonna use everything that's in it.

Necros
03-11-2007, 18:19
OK, got my army and I'm skimming through the army list in the codex. Dunno if this is adressed somewhere else in the book and I missed it, but the first thing I noticed is for normal marines.. It says they're armed with a bolt pistol, close combat weapon, and a bolter. So, does that mean all of them basically get 2 attacks in close combat, even if they're shooting with a normal bolter? Or is it supposed to be WYSIWYG so you could have a unit with 5 bolters and 5 CCW/Pistols or something like that?

also for the regular marine squads, is it good to add heavy weapons to em? I think they'd be better and more mobile with 2 assault weapons so you don't have to worry about having to stay still to shoot the heavy weapon? that's one problem I had with my guard army so I eventually just added the HW teams into their own platoon and it made it a lot easier to have my regular infantry move around and capture objectives and stuff. But then, I don't know if I'll be using havok squads, I'm thinking 2 defilers and a land raider for heavy support... in the long run

Also for the chosen.. first it says 1 guy can add a heavy weapon or flamer, melta or plasmagun.. then it says up to 4 can add assault weapons too.. so I could basically have 5 assault guns in 1 unit, right?

grizzly ruin
03-11-2007, 19:04
OK, got my army and I'm skimming through the army list in the codex. Dunno if this is adressed somewhere else in the book and I missed it, but the first thing I noticed is for normal marines.. It says they're armed with a bolt pistol, close combat weapon, and a bolter. So, does that mean all of them basically get 2 attacks in close combat, even if they're shooting with a normal bolter?

Well they can't shoot the Bolter than charge, but yes they are armed to the teeth and count as having BP/CCW in combat (not to mention they can pop a shot each with the BP before a charge).

also for the regular marine squads, is it good to add heavy weapons to em? I think they'd be better and more mobile with 2 assault weapons so you don't have to worry about having to stay still to shoot the heavy weapon? that's one problem I had with my guard army so I eventually just added the HW teams into their own platoon and it made it a lot easier to have my regular infantry move around and capture objectives and stuff.

You're going to get a wide variety of opinions, stick with what works for you from your IG experiences.

Personally I agree with you. 2 Plasmaguns or Meltas, or maybe even toss a flamer in there is the way to go.

But then, I don't know if I'll be using havok squads, I'm thinking 2 defilers and a land raider for heavy support... in the long run

Might want to keep Obliterators in mind as well.

Also for the chosen.. first it says 1 guy can add a heavy weapon or flamer, melta or plasmagun.. then it says up to 4 can add assault weapons too.. so I could basically have 5 assault guns in 1 unit, right?

Basically you could have a chosen unit with:

5 Special Weapons (Plasmaguns/pistols, Flamers, Meltas, Twin-Linked Bolters, Combi-weapons)

or

1 Heavy Weapon (ML, AC, LC, HB+ 4 weapons from the above list.

Necros
03-11-2007, 23:30
Cool thanks for the info. Started building today, almost got the lord done :) Pretty nice kit, I like how there's so many different options and plenty of bitz left over for other stuff.

I think I'm definately going to go with the 2 assault weapons thing and skip the heavy weapons for normal squads.

As far as obliterators go, I know they're good but personaly I'm not too fond of the models. I'm gonna hold off on them for a while, till we see what kind of stuff they put out with the demon codex. i doubt they'll make new ones but we'll see... I have 2 normal marine predators so I think at first I'll be using them along with my defiler till I start adding more stuff