PDA

View Full Version : Lune'antics

Dalenator
03-11-2007, 22:46
So, in the warhammer 40000 universe what is the Moon doing (The one orbiting Terra).

Is it part of a defense battery.
Has it been destroyed.
Possibly a giant temple to the Emperor.
or is it derelict and just left alone.

Eisen
03-11-2007, 22:53
IIRC, it was terraformed following the Emperor's unification, used as the founding point for the legions (not the recruiting point, just the muster and training point), then blasted back to the Armstrong Age during the Heresy. It is likely a fleet mooring point at this point.

LordXaras
03-11-2007, 23:06
Since Mars has been referenced to as being terraformed during the initial expansion into the solar system, it's a fair bet that Luna was too. However, as has been said, it was blasted to the bedrock during the assault on Terra... I even recall references to it supposedly being destroyed. More recent references to the moon paints me the image that it is pretty much the key of Terra's ring of defences.

I imagine that it had large portions of it blasted into space when Horus took out Terra's space defences, and that it looks like how it's depicted in The Time Machine (the movie). The space chunks might have been towed to form the basis of new defensive platforms, and if looked at from Terra, Luna probably has an irregular metallic sheen from being covered with cities and space gunz.

Tehkonrad
03-11-2007, 23:09
yeah i'd say that its more a conglomeration of large asteroids in a vaguely spherical shape than an actual moon as it were.

cpl_hicks
04-11-2007, 00:22
During the Hersey, the Sisters of Silence had a base there, Garro and the other Eisenstein crew where taken there and met the signalite

Argastes
04-11-2007, 00:44
The moon is large enough that if "chunks" were blasted out of it, it's own gravity would reshape it into a sphere.... probably with disastrous consequences for it's current surface features. That's why it's currently a sphere today despite having been bombarded by impactors large enough to blast 500-mile-wide holes in it (the lunar "seas" are actually gigantic impact basins from ancient asteroids big enough to make craters hundreds of miles across).

So the Earth's moon in 40K, no matter how intensely it was bombarded during the HH, is still going to be spherical; it's not going to be not missing chunks, or be a roundish conglomeration of asteroids. Most of it's current surface features might be completely gone or altered, and replaced with new ones inflicted during the HH bombardment, but it's still nice and round.

Ktotwf
04-11-2007, 00:49
Think "Death Star". Pretty much. It is the host of the most powerful defence lasers in the galaxy.

Tehkonrad
04-11-2007, 06:02
yeah it would be a bit like the death star although the dialoguge when approaching it would be kinda lame

pilot 1: look at that moon
pilot 2: thats no moon
pilot 1: no i think it is
pilot 2: yeah your right it is

Ktotwf
04-11-2007, 06:03
yeah it would be a bit like the death star although the dialogu when approaching it would be kinda lame

pilot 1: look at that moon
pilot 2: thats no moon
pilot 1: no i think it is
pilot 2: yeah your right it is

Awesomeness, lol. :p

[SD] Bob Plisskin
04-11-2007, 09:10
which moon there are at least 2 :P

Lavadude360
04-11-2007, 12:23
IIRC it's covered in ******* lasers!!

It's a huge orbital defence platform.

However surely there is period where you are safe from its lasers as it's on the other side of the Earth?

Savant
04-11-2007, 12:57
It's not terraformed (at least not during the Horus Civil War) because Garro and a Nurgle Marine fight on its surface, and Garro doesn't have a helmet on.

Of course, Garro doesn't need oxygen to live and, being a Space Marine, can ignore explosive decompression.

LordXaras
04-11-2007, 13:07
It's not terraformed (at least not during the Horus Civil War) because Garro and a Nurgle Marine fight on its surface, and Garro doesn't have a helmet on.

Of course, Garro doesn't need oxygen to live and, being a Space Marine, can ignore explosive decompression.Your post confuses me. Are you saying that it is terraformed or that it isn't?

Eetion
04-11-2007, 13:11
In flight of the Eisenstein, the moon had a vacuum during part of the story, and was for all intents and prposes, airless.

floyd pinkerton
04-11-2007, 13:21
it's a massive defence system, as you can see on fire warrior (yes, i know it's not the best source of fluff:D)

Savant
04-11-2007, 13:39
Your post confuses me. Are you saying that it is terraformed or that it isn't?

As Eetion already said, airless + vacuum != terraformed.

EDIT - Also, I said "It's not terraformed". That was a hint. ;D

freelancer
04-11-2007, 20:55
It was converted in to a mooring point for smaller ships also a massive trench was dug around it for some reason probably for the mooring aspect. Also it was a base for the sisters of scilence and used as a defencive platform coverd in guns. Also according to Flight there is a Halo like ring surrounding the moon also used as a mooring point and a guns platform. Post herasy it is still used as a staging point but not so much as a defencive platform because it had the pants blasted outta it by horus

freelancer

MrBigMr
04-11-2007, 21:38
One could go to YouTube and look for the Fire Warrior Intro, that shows Mars, Terra, the Imperial Palace from orbit and the Moon. The moon looks like a ******** deathstar in the sky.

I don't know where I got it from, but I heard that the moon is locked on a geostationary orbit over the Imperial Palace, covering it from any possible attack. But that's just what I've heard, don't quote me on it. Just sounded like a cool idea.

And isn't the moon the main base of the Imperial Navy?

LordXaras
04-11-2007, 21:58
As Eetion already said, airless + vacuum != terraformed.

EDIT - Also, I said "It's not terraformed". That was a hint. ;D

What you said was that the moon wasn't terraformed because Garro didn't need a helmet. That sentence made no sense at all.

Yes, I know that he technically didn't need a hemlet to stay out there for a certain period of time (it's never been specified how long a marine can survive in vacuum when partially unprotected), but your wording meant that because he didn't need a helmet to walk on the surface, the moon couldn't have been terraformed.

I'll drop this now, I'm getting a bit silly. :p